Why do I need a phone line for a 625 receiver?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Dish finally agreed to give me a free upgrade and not charge for DVR service. I have a 508 and am looking at the 625. I told them I would switch to direct TV first.

However, they insist I have the 625 connected to a phone line or they will charge me $5-6/month!!

What does the receiver do with the phone line? I have Verizon and every call out cost money. I an not interested in the PPV crap and it is not convenient to get a phone line to it either.

Look at it this way, it's a dual turner (2 receivers) and with the phone they don't charge for the second turner.
Also it's a 800 number and I haven't heard of anyone being charged for calling them.

Dvr fee has nothing to do with the additional tuner fee. Don't confuse the fees.

promotion changed feb 1. dvr advantage now only waives $0.98 of dvr fee and waives the full tv2 fee for first dvr. that why dvr advantage price went up $8 for dvr advantage customers on 2/1/09, because lose all but 98 cents of dvr fee discount and regular package price increase.

So does anyone know what the receiver uses the phone line for .... report your viewing habit, or?

My Verizon line charges me ten cents overtime I draw dial tone ... this is the cheapest phone service I could get since I don't use the phone much.

So does anyone know what the receiver uses the phone line for .... report your viewing habit, or?

My Verizon line charges me ten cents overtime I draw dial tone ... this is the cheapest phone service I could get since I don't use the phone much.

The phone line is not big brother watching you. The one thing it does is monitor the health of the dish system and if it sees trouble then the receiver will call Dish and they will call you to setup up an appointment to fix before you totally lose service. It also allows Dish to verify the recevier is located on and at the account it is registered to. Other than that I am not sure what else it is capable of.

Otherwise you will probably not notice some problems until you lose service then have to wait for an appointment to be setup all the while not having any television

Dish finally agreed to give me a free upgrade and not charge for DVR service. I have a 508 and am looking at the 625. I told them I would switch to direct TV first.

However, they insist I have the 625 connected to a phone line or they will charge me $5-6/month!!

What does the receiver do with the phone line? I have Verizon and every call out cost money. I an not interested in the PPV crap and it is not convenient to get a phone line to it either.

Hope you had Dish wave the DVR charge that normally applies to the 625. Your 508 was a FREE DVR model.

The phone line is not big brother watching you. The one thing it does is monitor the health of the dish system and if it sees trouble then the receiver will call Dish and they will call you to setup up an appointment to fix before you totally lose service. It also allows Dish to verify the recevier is located on and at the account it is registered to. Other than that I am not sure what else it is capable of.

Otherwise you will probably not notice some problems until you lose service then have to wait for an appointment to be setup all the while not having any television

Actually Dish is reported to be using viewing habits now. Not for individuals but for determining which channels are popular. And they are also reported as selling this info.

Actually Dish is reported to be using viewing habits now. Not for individuals but for determining which channels are popular. And they are also reported as selling this info.

I suspect they are selling the information as well and want a price from the user for not providing it.

I know one guy who switches between Direct TV and Dish on a regular basis to keep all of the promo stuff. If his current provider won't give him something for free he tells them to turn it off and goes to the other one as a new customer .... every other year or so. Not sure if that really works or not though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)