Why do people pick on Voom?

EmpireState

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
I regularly hear people in this forum talk about how worthless the Voom channels are. I have to say that I think they are the most compelling set of HD channels I've ever seen anywhere, and I would be extremely sorry to see them go.

I honestly consider the Voom channels to be the best channels available to Dish Network subscribers in terms of PQ and interesting content. Every one of their channels reminds me of the Discovery Planet Earth series you can buy on Blu-Ray and HD DVD. The word spectacular comes to mind during almost every program I watch on Voom. It almost seems like they have better producers and directors for their programming than other HD channels.

So, Voom haters, what don't you like?

Edit: Yes I'm aware of the repetitive nature of the movie channels on Voom. I'm more interested in the non-movie Voom channels.

It's the repetition of the same shows over and over again that turns off people. They're great channels but after a few months of having them you pretty much saw everything they have to offer. If they didn't repeat the content as much, I'm sure more people would be happy to have them. Have long have you had them for?

I agree they are the best channels and it is why I am at Dish instead of Direct. There is plenty to watch so the repeats do not bother me.

I am glad of the repeats, issues with weather and power caused me to almost miss a couple of the Apes movies, luckily they came on more than once.

Let's see... no commercials, no constant channel logo, no popup ads for other programs, no stretched or upconverted content. No wonder people hate it. ;)

It's the repetition of the same shows over and over again that turns off people. They're great channels but after a few months of having them you pretty much saw everything they have to offer. If they didn't repeat the content as much, I'm sure more people would be happy to have them. Have long have you had them for?

Are you sure about one month exhausting the content? I know each channel repeats the same 3 shows during a 24-hour period but it seems to be refreshing each day. I haven't been watching for a month so I guess I'll find out.

I am glad of the repeats, issues with weather and power caused me to almost miss a couple of the Apes movies, luckily they came on more than once.

I totally agree with that. I would much rather record something at 3:00 AM than in prime-time when I might need more options. It also helps when I tune in half way thru a show.

Equator, Monsters and the old VOOM Cinema channels were my favorites. But there were too many repeats on the movie channels, not enough new and interesting material on WorldSport, Rush and Rave, and the wonderful new material on Gallery and Treasure (more than any other channels) just wasn't my cup of tea...except for the periodic half-naked models. To be honest, my little one really enjoyed Animania and GamePlay could have been really good if only they didn't show the same stuff over, and over, and over, and over again.

In any case, the two things I miss about Dish Network service now that I am with FiOS TV are the ViP622 and VOOM.

Hear hear. I like the Voom channels because they offer programming that one just can't get elsewhere on TV, at least in HD, especially Gallery and the (soon to be defunct, apparently) WorldCinema. Spanish league soccer. Independant and classic films. Rock/pop concerts. Some nature shows not shown elsewhere (though there are other options for those on NGC and Discovery).

I'd love Gallery to be able to somehow get more HD performing arts programming. They occasionally show opera, but there are lots of live performances that surely could be produced in HD for a low cost. Maybe swing a deal with PBS for content from their archives of "Live from Lincoln Center"?

Maybe its because I just don't watch that much TV, but the repeats don't bother me.

CDH.

Does anyone know how Voom as a company is doing? Are they making money or are they treading water? Before I saw the Voom channels (only just recently) I thought Voom was a super niche set of channels that would soon be bankrupt. But the content is actually superior to almost everything else. HDNET, HDMOVIES, and HDTheater are close to that level of excellence, but everything else is lacking. 720? Get out of town. Voom gives me the clearest, unfiltered, unaltered 1080 I need.

Are they making money? Will they stay in business? Or should I prepare myself for the eventual loss of these channels?

The Voom channels are the reason I stay with Dish - especially Monsters HD. I didn't care for the 2 film rotation that they did for awhile but they're back to normal now.

Mario

How come nobody complains about DiscoveryHD repeating the same three-to-four hour block of programming every day? I personally think that part of it is just sour grapes, meaning that a lot of people saying bad things about Voom don't even have E*, so they're just "self-justifying" their particular choice of pay TV provider. At the same time, I've seen E* subs say bad things about channels not on their service. (edited post due to spelling error)

Last edited:
How come nobody complains about DiscoveryHD repeating the same three-to-four hour block of programming every day? I personally think that part of it is just sour grapes, meaning that a lot of people saying bad things about Voom don't even have E*, so their just "self-justifying" their particular choice of pay TV provider. At the same time, I've seen E* subs say bad things about channels not on their service.

Hmmm, the lack of negative comments about Voom on this thread leads me to believe maybe most people really do like Voom. I've just read a few posts in other threads saying the bandwidth could be better served with more mainstream HD channels similar to TBS that we get now. FX, Speed, etc... My reaction to that has always been to wonder why anyone would want a channel that shows a few programs in HD but also includes lots of SD content as opposed to dedicated HD channels like those on Voom. I guess it has to do with main stream programming.

Hopefully both will come to fruition without either paying the price at the others expense.

An interesting note about VOOM. They have been showing VOOM loops on the Walmart "wall of eyes"(TV's) since at least October of last year. The content changes every week. This must be costing them a fortune, Walmart charges alot for this. It does state to call your local satellite or cable operator, but DISH is the biggest carrier, and they are not even one of the digital services offered by Walmart. I wonder why they do this.
They did the same thing on CompUSA's monitor/TV loop before they closed. They were on there about a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)