why do we have C-SPAN and C-SPAN2 but not C-SPAN3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you guys are finished puting each other down, the actual CSPAN3 answer follows:

DBS as a condition of its liscense is required to carry so many "public interest" stations. CSPAN counts, obviously. However, to protect a "diversity of viewpoints" no more than two "public interest" stations can be from the same owners (the FCC was worried that the providers would just find some half-baked ranter and let him have 40 channels to rant on). So CSPAN3 does not count as a public interest channel for DBS, so there is no incentive to carry it.

CSPAN has asked for an exception, but been turned down.

Good post.

CSPAN legislation was inacted and created out of a compromise with the terrestrial, cable industries and the FCC. Just political hack stuff.

However, Real Americans stay and work for change. They don't run. They don't allow bad unjust and stupid acts of government to continue. They press for living up to the ideals and promises of the founders. Political free speech is the liberty to safely stand up and criticize our leaders.

DirectTv and Dish don't really need to waste bandwidth on these channels. Why add more?

Let them carry it, let's say just give them 512Kb of bandwidth. Hardly anyone moves so the video won't suffer. Maybe a little more bandwidth for the audio, lot's of hot air from the politicians. :)

Who the hell watches Cspan?
I'm a very political person, and I watch it for history and for political speeches. So I watch it for one. I don't watch it from my Genie, but I go to the C-Span site and sign in with my DirecTV account and connect my computer to my TV. That way I can watch it in HD, and also have access to C-Span 3. Plus I watch some of their on-demand shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts