Why do we have to pay for locals with Dish?

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
If I remember correctly, paying for local channels was strictly optional. Then it was changed so we are forced to pay for them, whether we need them or not. Why not drop the local channel requirement? Most will keep the Dish local service, but some will not , and will use an HDTV antenna or not bother with them at all.

This is going to be even more critical in the coming years as all the broadcast Networks try to double and triple the fees they get from Dish, which passes them to the consumer. Give us the choice, like we had previously.

The local stations insist on fees and insist on payment for all the subscribers in their area when negotiating the contract. Dish would have to pay the locals no matter what.

it has been several years since locals were not included in any of the base packages Dish offers. It would seem logical to assume since the local nets want to be paid for all subs in their dma that Dish would have all the customers pay for them instead of increasing the fee even more for just those who want them.

The local stations insist on fees and insist on payment for all the subscribers in their area when negotiating the contract. Dish would have to pay the locals no matter what.

That is subject to negotiation. And I don't think it would be illegal for Dish to install an HDTV antenna on the roof and hook it up to the DVR. Broadcast TV is supposed to be free, no charge to the customer if he gets it on his house antenna.

Since I use my OTA antenna for viewing my locals, I certainly understand where you are coming from, however, if memory serves me, the cost of having or not having locals back then was $5. I am not saying that would be the cost today, but I think it would still be minimal to the overall cost of a package and if 5 or 6 dollars is going to make or break you from having pay television, then you clearly cannot afford pay television and need to reconsider your options.

Five or six dollars a month is a thing of the past. CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox are going to start charging up the ying-yang now, especially with the death of Aereo. Why doesn't Dish install a roof antenna and pocket the money for itself, give the Networks nothing.

Five or six dollars a month is a thing of the past. CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox are going to start charging up the ying-yang now, especially with the death of Aereo. Why doesn't Dish install a roof antenna and pocket the money for itself, give the Networks nothing.
Well that comment certainly makes no sense at all. It is what it is Mitch.

Your comment doesn't make any sense either. In fact it doesn't even have a point. Let Dish install the TV antenna at the house and screw the networks. Dish can charge a one time fee of $25 for the antenna and install.

Without those fees cbs wouldn’t have been able to pay Leslie Moonves $66.9 million, Ashton Kutcher about $16.5 million or Jon Cryer about $13 million in 2013. What, do you expect Moonves to scrape by on like $10 million just so you can save money on your dish bill?

Well, if Charlie Ergen is such a smart cookie, why doesn't he get this done or at least threaten it? The less money for the Broadcast networks the more money for the consumer.

Well those people are stuck , but I can get local channels with an antenna, but I have to buy them from Dish with any package. I would want Dish to hook up the Antenna locals to my DVR, I don't think the networks can make that illegal.

Well those people are stuck , but I can get local channels with an antenna, but I have to buy them from Dish with any package. I would want Dish to hook up the Antenna locals to my DVR, I don't think the networks can make that illegal.

So what's the problem? Cancel your Dish sub, get your locals with an antenna, and don't pay any of them any money! The DVR+ from Channel Master will record for you. One time purchase, and save money forever.

Sounds like you are on CBS payroll?

I want cable channels and free broadcast tv, is that hard to understand?

Sounds like you are on CBS payroll?
Ya know, I have an antenna, and believe me it was a challenge to get reception where I live. I have that antenna attached to my Hopper and also directly to the TV. If Dish went away I still have my locals. I also have Dish locals, as well as the OTA locals on my Hopper. I pay for that, gladly, because there are many programs that I watch that I can record.

I've watched you over the years on this website, and there are many of them, and all I see are trolling remarks. If you don't like what you get, Dish or otherwise, why not try another venue....

Reactions: KAB
I have to hand it to a couple of posters, some of the more outrageous posts where the poster wasn't trying to be facetious.
I get Dish Satellite to get, hard to imagine, Satellite programming. Not antenna programming. OTA is a great addition to be sure, but I don't get them all as reliably as I do satellite. And some posts make it sound like DISH has a choice. They can't offer it to some and not others (for a reduction in cost).
It has to be an infinitesimal percentage of subscribers who do not want the locals, and a similar amount who would have signed up in the first place if they weren't available. In fact I wonder how many get the Welcome package instead of dropping DISH because they include the locals.
This is a case of the Networks need the satellite/cable operators just as the the operators need the networks.

I think the OP is definitely in the huge MINORITY of subscribers. I for one wouldn't want to go through the hassle of messing with OTA to save $5 or $6 a month. Skip coffee for a couple of days if $6 bothers you so much. On second thought, don't, because if you are that cash strapped, you don't need DBS/Cable TV. However, I doubt it is purely the price the OP, probably just wants to try and make a"point." Which is somewhat valid, just not for the vast majority of subscribers. Also, think about it, you have ALWAYS has to pay for locals with cable, so it's really not anything new, or for that matter totally tied to retransmission consent fees, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Aereo decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)