• The Technology of It

Votes: 32 29.4%
  • Getting Stuff for Free

Votes: 29 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
GaryPen said:
Depending on what sports and news feeds I would be able to receive, I may give this FTA thing a shot. Since I am adding a PC to my home theater for SlingBox reception anyway, I think I will opt for a PCI card FTA tuner, to avoid yet another set top box.

In fact, if I find enough programming on FTA, I may experiment with OTA and QAM tuner cards, and do away with STB's all together. I suppose that if I add a DL DVD-RW to the HTPC, I can get rid of my STB DVD-R, as well. I love selling off the old stuff to help pay for the new!

Don't do it backwards... get the STB before the card. Once you want to start getting HD and 4:2:2 feeds then you get the STB card. You can't blind scan with the FTA card and it's also a struggle to move the motor especially for newbies. I've been doing the FTA thing for over and year and I wouldn't want to do it with a FTA PCI card alone.

Agreed, its nearly impossible to aim a dish with a PC card. Besides, for feeds and sports backhauls, blind scan is a MUST. PC cards don't blindscan.

Get the STB first, even if its an entry-level receiver. Just make sure it has blind scan (sometimes called Power Scan) and the ability to move a motor in case you ever want to add one (you will).

Must be just me then! I use the DVB World USB receiver to point my BUD! Enter a LIVE TP. then motor until I see signal quality!

Seems to work everytime! I can swing from satellite to satellite by the above method right across my arc!

There is a slight delay before the signal quality "shows up", maybe around 2 seconds.

ditto. I've seen those PC cards and they are a bugger to aim a dish with. The recievers work easier :)

If that's the case, I may go the FTA route. We'll see. I don't understand why these PC card FTA makers can't incorporate the same features as in the STB's, either through HW or SW.

But, first order of biz is setting up the SlingBox in Japan, and the corresponding media pc on this end. Then, I have to consider ATT's HomeZone, when that's released in my area. Or, do I stay with my Comcast HD DVR and switch to their Tivo box when that's released? Or, do I go with basic cable, OTA HD, and FTA all in the media PC with the SlingPlayer?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

What is in FTA for an 8 years old girl to watch?

:rolleyes: Need to know before I commit to it. Spanish, English and French

Thanks

Well in my limited experience; the occasional cartoon and "pre-tweeny" programs found on the nets (your local nets probably have the same), and then there is the PBS family of channels; which like the cartoons, may be a bit too young for her. Seems Nickelodeon and the like on pay TV is her best bets. IMHO.

My son watches Saturday cartoons in English on network tv and then in Spanish on Sunday mornings on TeleFutura. All on G10.

You know, one of the reasons I find myself watching feeds so much is the quality is amazing. I seem to always land on ABC affiliate feeds...but I love it when they zoom in and you see the pimples. Amazing stuff.

I just noticed a new choice in the poll. WTF did that happen? I didn't do it. And, as the author of the poll, I'm a little pissed that somebody mucked with it without asking. That's just rude, dude.

GaryPen said:
Really? The PQ is usually low? I figured it would be the equivelant to OTA digital SD feeds. Is that not normally the case?

it depends on the channel and how much bandwidth they use.

Some channels are really clear (better than Dish SD) and some (alot of ethnic channels) look worse than those movies you play on a computer

most English channels look at or better than Dish SD quality

GaryPen said:
I just noticed a new choice in the poll. WTF did that happen? I didn't do it. And, as the author of the poll, I'm a little pissed that somebody mucked with it without asking. That's just rude, dude.

I agree and it was eliminated. Neither FTA mod (myself or PSB) did it. One of the other mods had to have added it.

but its gone now

Iceberg said:
it depends on the channel and how much bandwidth they use.

Some channels are really clear (better than Dish SD) and some (alot of ethnic channels) look worse than those movies you play on a computer

most English channels look at or better than Dish SD quality
When you say Dish SD, I assume you mean the national channels, not locals? Everybody knows how bad the Dish locals often look.

yes the national channels

The only channels I see issues on (pixelation and just general mushyness) are some of the International channels

OK. So this FTA thing is getting more interesting to me. It seems that where I am in CA, a 30" with motor will work fine. What are the advantages of getting a DSS LNB in addition to the Ku LNB. How much free crap is on DSS? (I do enjoy occasionally watching the NASA channel.)

I guess I will try a STB receiver first, as per recommendations. But, I'd like to keep the cost under $200. So, which sub-$200 model would you guys recommend for ease-of-use? (That would include setup, locating birds, blind scan, EPG, internal memory, upgradability, etc.)Also, I would like to have component video and digital audio outputs.
The Captiveworks CW-600s Premium seems to have all that stuff. And it's pretty cheap. It's not bad looking either. Any opinions on that model?

GaryPen said:
OK. So this FTA thing is getting more interesting to me. It seems that where I am in CA, a 30" with motor will work fine. What are the advantages of getting a DSS LNB in addition to the Ku LNB. How much free crap is on DSS? (I do enjoy occasionally watching the NASA channel.)
what can I get with a 18" dish?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34131

I guess I will try a STB receiver first, as per recommendations. But, I'd like to keep the cost under $200. So, which sub-$200 model would you guys recommend for ease-of-use? (That would include setup, locating birds, blind scan, EPG, internal memory, upgradability, etc.)Also, I would like to have component video and digital audio outputs.
The Captiveworks CW-600s Premium seems to have all that stuff. And it's pretty cheap. It's not bad looking either. Any opinions on that model?

RUN from the Captiveworks. No blind scan. I have one and it doesn't work (never has). the box lies :)

Coolsat 5000 has what you need in terms of the features above (blind scan, component output, AC-3 output).

The Fortec Classic has all of that but the component output. the Mercury II has component output

EPG is non existant in this country for FTA. I don't understand what you mean by "upgradability"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)