why doent dish do this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
i know im beating a dead bush... but why doent dish take the duplicate international channels off of 61.5 @ 148 THATS ON 121 and use that space for some additional hd content.. or is e* just that stupid.. im leaning twards more blond E* is.. lol :D

Because then they'd have to upgrade a BUNCH of international customers to SuperDish systems many of which would be demanding it to be done for free.

The transition of international programming to 121° is very "young". All but a few international channels have been moved recently. Now they are starting to market the 121° superdish to international subscribers almost exclusively. In time, international channels will not be available to new subscribers at 61.5° or 148°. Kind of a wink and a nudge at first, but then for real.

The next step dovetailed with this is to make sure all the contracts with the international channel providers can be altered to allow Dish to remove the the channels from the side slots. Dish cannot unillaterally just move the channels in most cases. This shouldn't be a problem, but when Dish moved the internationals from 119° to 61.5° one channel did not play ball! That is the only international channel still on ConUS 119° today; RAI international channel 600.

So, in answer to your inquery, yes Dish is planning to move all internationals to 121° and remove them from the side slots. But this is not going to happen over night (or even a year or possibly two). But if the plan holds, it will happen. Again they have a lot of current subscribers they are going to entice over to 121° first then prod, then nudge and then push.

See ya
Tony

yea i understand what you are saying and all about dish not being able to take them off the side birds due to contracts.. but if dish made the channels avab at 121 instead of 61.5 or 148. what diffrance would it make because its how dish delivers the channel to its coustomers.. i wouldnt think that its something in the contract that says it has to be on this satellight at this location on this transponder (the way dish delivers the programmning to its coustomer).. you would think its eather carry this channel at this price and that was it. You would also think it would be up to echo star to put the channels on what sat they deemed to put them on.. i understand that there are contratucal obligations that dish has to put channels together.. like viacom channels are grouped together but echostar could easly do that on 121 by just moving channels and reconfiguring the channel list to group those channels together.. Thanks for your reply... Im just trying to figure out the logistics of it... to me it seems like it shouldnt matter what sat dish delivers the programming on as long as they do and its avab to coustomers one way or another...

Remember that when the contracts were written for most of these channels, 121° was not even in the picture. But that is really the easiest part of the equation.

The real trick is moving all the international subscribers at as little cost to Dish as possible. This phase has already started. There is a free preview channel at 61.5° and 148° on channel 599 that shows channels exclusively avalable at 121°. The entire time there is a crawl telling people watching how they can get a 121° superdish to get this channel and to call Dish to get set up.

After Dish does this for a few months and all the people that are going to fall for this go through with the change, then Dish will make the next move. It will be at least a year before internationals come of 61.5° if ever.

See ya
Tony

its gonna be veary intresting to see what happens. expecually if this bill passes today... cauz alot of space is gonna free up on the wing slots.. this is what i see.. happing.. 2nd dish locals going to 105... god i hope that bird gets there soon... (anyone know the status on that yet?) and internationals going to 121.. leaves 2 free birds to mirror hd on it.. and for those hd coustomers who want there must carrys and hd.. i smell DPP 44 switches... all over the place...

still testing at 136. Awaiting the launch of AMC-16 to see 15 move into the correct place... december 16th I believe. There's a thread in the main forum about the sat status.

Remember that the single satellite DISH (not single satellite location) rule doesn't mean that all the locals have to be received from one dish. It means that all the locals from any one city have to be available using one dish. It does NOT say that the locals have to be available on the same dish as the rest of the programming.

Right now, Dish has several cities exlusively at 148°. All the local stations from Lubbock, Cheyenne, Grand Junction, Amarillo, Medford and Idaho Falls are ate 148°. Under the new law if it passes, it is still okay for Dish to continue to do this.

See ya
Tony

goaliebob99 said:
its gonna be veary intresting to see what happens. expecually if this bill passes today... cauz alot of space is gonna free up on the wing slots.. this is what i see.. happing.. 2nd dish locals going to 105... god i hope that bird gets there soon... (anyone know the status on that yet?) and internationals going to 121.. leaves 2 free birds to mirror hd on it.. and for those hd coustomers who want there must carrys and hd.. i smell DPP 44 switches... all over the place...

If Dish has 18 months to comply with the single dish for locals rule, why would they move wing locals to 105 anytime in the near future if it all. Echostar-10 (E-10), the new 110 spotbeam satellite should alleviate most if not all of the wing local problems and it is scheduled to launch sometime next year. Besides E-10, it would make more sense to move some of the smaller markets off the 110/119 spotbeams to either wings or 105/121 than to put wing locals on 105. They could also move the non-distant network local markets that are on 110 CONUS TPs to wings or 105/121 freeing up about 3 TPs for the wing locals of the larger markets. These latter two options would cost Dish less in new equipment/installations and loss of subscribers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)