Why does a DVR have to be a Voom product?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

annkennedy

Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
If you're looking for a generic DVR or PVR that will work with Voom output ports, there are both PCI cards and external box solutions for HDD recording in the computer area, but they are principally for folks who know computer video (in other words, tough to set up or manage). Take a look at Pinnacle. That's www.pinnaclesys.com.

There are solutions from other manufacturers. Maybe someone thinks it's going to be cheap if it comes from Voom? Dream on. Look at the Sony DHG-HDD250. It won't be shipped until December, but it does double duty as a DVR and a PVR.

If the above doesn't get you inspired, then try typing "high definition recorder" into the search window of almost any search engine. I must be missing some great truth here. Why is anyone waiting on Voom to get a DVR?

The reason I'd like a Voom DVR is because it would (hopefully!) seamlessly integrate with the Voom program guide and give me access to both Satellite and OTA channels.

I am a college professor but not a techno-wiz, and have no interest in having to buy a separate PC to run in my living room. Though it wouldn't be HD, I am trying to get a ReplayTV to work using WiRNS but am not having much luck (see the ReplayTV thread).

It shouldn't be that hard!

The Sony you mention appears to be designed for cable systems. The cable system in my area is terrible and has very limited HD. I doubt it would be possible, but if it were able to record HD from component inputs it would only be able to record one program from the Voom STB at once.

See Sony's press release here: http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5266

I am not aware of any current stand-alone HD-DVR that can record both local and satellite channels off Voom. The promise of the four tuner Voom DVR (two satellite and two OTA) and the possibility of recording two programs while watching a third is very interesting!

CDH.

Tivo's work suprisingly well with Voom. With the right settings, image quality is very good if not great. The guide works slick and you cannot beat the season pass functionality.

We sold our Tivo in haste when it was rumored that a Voom DVR would hit streets in Oct/Nov timeframe. With holiday sales coming, we will most likely get another Tivo.

Have not yet had opportunity to check out Replay with Voom. Good luck.

annkennedy said:
If the above doesn't get you inspired, then try typing "high definition recorder" into the search window of almost any search engine. I must be missing some great truth here. Why is anyone waiting on Voom to get a DVR?

There is no consumer device that can record uncompressed HD to a hard disk. I doubt there will be one anytime soon either. All of the HD DVRs either record compressed OTA HD, or compressed sat/cable HD.

The OTA units have no problem recording HD because its compressed and its *not encrypted*. The cable/sat HD DVRs are always rented/sold by the service provider and must be compatible and authorized on their network to record the compressed signal. Thats why you don't see tons of 3rd party DVRs, they have to be integrated into the provider somehow.

The amount of space required to record uncompressed HD is incredible, the data rate is 1.5gbs. Try multiplying that by 1.5 hours! The compression is really heavy stuff, not a task a consumer PC can handle anywhere near real time.

--Dan

MNHTUG said:
Tivo's work suprisingly well with Voom. With the right settings, image quality is very good if not great. The guide works slick and you cannot beat the season pass functionality.

My understanding from other threads was that the TiVo units worked well for recording channels above 100, in other words the satellite channels, but had no PG information for the local OTA channels unless one routed a spliced antenna cable for analogue OTA directly to the TiVo. If I'm wrong and a TiVo can record the OTA locals via the Voom STB then I'll go out and buy one!

Edit: last time I checked the FAQs on TiVo's site they said no recording of locals via Voom.

CDH.

CDH said:
My understanding from other threads was that the TiVo units worked well for recording channels above 100, in other words the satellite channels, but had no PG information for the local OTA channels unless one routed a spliced antenna cable for analogue OTA directly to the TiVo. If I'm wrong and a TiVo can record the OTA locals via the Voom STB then I'll go out and buy one!

Edit: last time I checked the FAQs on TiVo's site they said no recording of locals via Voom.

Still true. You can do manual recordings without program guide information through the STB, or you can run an analog antenna or cable input into the TiVO.

I keep limited basic cable for this purpose, which runs about $12.95/month. And since I subscribe to cable, I get a $15/month discount on Internet service, so it actually saves a couple of dollars.

JEFFinINDY said:
I keep limited basic cable for this purpose, which runs about $12.95/month. And since I subscribe to cable, I get a $15/month discount on Internet service, so it actually saves a couple of dollars.

Besides my allergy to my local cable company, I found that their basic cable service was rather expensive ($20/month?) and since I have a DSL service I wouldn't get any discount on Internet.

If I ran an analogue antenna cable to the TiVo would I get PG info for locals as well as Voom Satellite channels? I want to be able to record HBO and Voom Cinema channels as well as some shows off locals. Since the Voom box has the the locals mapped to their broadcast channel numbers (i.e. 4-1 really broadcasts on 59 but the box calls it 4), you'd think it would be a simple matter to tell the TiVo box to use the local PG information but request the channels through the line-out of the Voom STB. No such luck I guess!

No one has replied to my last ReplayTV post so I guess I'm going to be returning the unit over the weekend.

CDH.

CDH said:
Besides my allergy to my local cable company, I found that their basic cable service was rather expensive ($20/month?) and since I have a DSL service I wouldn't get any discount on Internet.

If I ran an analogue antenna cable to the TiVo would I get PG info for locals as well as Voom Satellite channels?

Yes, this would work too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)