Why does Genie need internet connection 24/7

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harryavant

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Why is it necessary to have a Genie connected to the internet 24/7?

I understand that connection is required for downloading PC apps, and for video on demand, but if these are not going to be used, why connect?

I have had conflicting answers to this question. One install tech said it's not necessary and another told me that it is required for receiver system software updates. That seems strange as I would think that DTV would do system updates via satellite and not via the internet.

The Genie manual discusses various things that need the internet connection but no where does the manual state that internet connection must always be on.

I have had my Genie for four months with internet connection for part of each day without any problems. Is there any reason why I should not continue in this manner? My big reason is I like to power off my computer and associated equipment (DSL modem, router, external usb port)at night when I retire and leave everything off until mid morning.

I have not been able to find any answer to this question on the DTV website.

Because they put everything into one place for it to work all it's magic; and they decided they could hide something on the internet from everybody who installs it. So if you do not have the internet; something or some features will not work that they have licensed themselves to be paid withINDENT] Yes, Chip, "you will be ok"; if you don't give it away, and because it is not yours! Got softball?​

Thank you. I would like to continue the way I've been using my stuff which is Genie and TV on around 5am. Computer, modem and router on around 11am. Genie and TV turned off around 10pm. Computer, modem and router powered off around 10pm. May I assume you see no problems with this?

It will work fine. Only potential problem is that the HR44 might be looking for the router and this could affect performance.
But why do you want to turn off the router?

Long before I switched to DTV I had my computer system located on one side of my home office. The computer and monitor are on a UPS and everything else is on a surge protected power strip. I've always found it easy to shutdown the computer from the menu then power everything else off. I don't like the idea of the modem and router running all night both for power reasons and for security issues.

Except for an hour or so first thing in the morning when the Genie and TV are on and the computer isn't, the router/internet is available to DTV.

I would agree; it is time online when it wants to use it. Software update time is the only pox mark it will miss while off.

Because they put everything into one place for it to work all it's magic; and they decided they could hide something on the internet from everybody who installs it. So if you do not have the internet; something or some features will not work that they have licensed themselves to be paid withINDENT] Yes, Chip, "you will be ok"; if you don't give it away, and because it is not yours! Got softball?​

??????

I have never hooked my genie up to my internet and it works perfectly

Thanks, oh the CEO of Packard lives where; has how many kids; and once moved user may be half way there? Who bought Packard? Or is HP - gateway?

And the receiver does OTA typed updates; that means it uses the received signal mcpc (multiple channels per carrier) over the satellite dish. It also "receives the guide this way"; no internet needed! And because it records to its own HD; it does not need the internet either. And the internet does not work any of the stated Genie; but for those "internet devides to work" that the Genie has; like youtube; the browser; pc aspected unitized network; it is like unplugging the internet; because it will not be getting any "updateds"; nor any "browser freeze"; or "what is the internet"; part in a satellite traii; and the Genie receiver has a pc built-in that does need the "internet"; because of it's internet services it can also provide (civil); which ask the question, got internet? and then the receiver tells itself whether or not such "services" are there; using pc time; "something called overhead"; which then tells you if your internet is working or not (whether it wants to or not); and the menu has not changed much since.

Last edited:
Why not connect it? What is the advantage to all that power-on/power-off hastle?
I agree with you, it's pointless. The router uses virtually no power, and it's no less secure at night than it is during the day.

It shouldn't cause too many problems. It's really no different from a power fail. But both the modem and router (usually combined) have to go through startup again, and the HR44 has got to connect to the network again, and if something's going to go wrong, that's when it will happen. Don't understand why anyone would want to take that risk....

I don't turn anything on or off, I just have never hooked my Genie up to my internet. I don't watch ppv, I hate youtube on big t.v.'s, so I never saw a need to and everything has been perfect. I would NEVER turn my router or modem off by the way, that would be ridiculous.

can I get that in English please?

Reactions: lfp302
When I had my Genie I didnt have it hooked up to the internet mainly because there was no internet in the apartment (was using the wifi but not on the Genie)

To answer the original question, the Genie doesn't need the Internet to work, never has, most of the older recvrs could not get the Internet either.
That said, I see no reason to Not have the Internet tied into the recvr if you have it available.

Yep the new play from the beginning feature streams the program over the internet. Also, powering down the modem / router seems a bit odd. Also there are diagnostic services that do run over night. Stuff like signal levels are polled from all of the connected receivers in the field for troubleshooting, diagnostic of bigger issues as well as nelson data is polled from the receiver. VOD is streamed via sat and Ethernet to the receivers during its power off cycle, but the main source of VOD is via sat. While it is not necessary, it is recommended that an internet connection is connected to the IRD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts