Why doesn’t my Hopper 3 shut off (go to sleep) from the remote power button?

ppappas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 10, 2004
San Jose, CA
Still try to get used to the Hooper after years with my trusty VIP receivers. Of course many others have complained about no recording light, and I have to agree, very annoying. But, I really don’t like the way the remote seems to work. First, it only controls 3 devices instead of 4 like the old remotes (yes I still have a Blu-ray player and tons of physical media).

However what really bugs me, is the Hopper doesn’t shut down when pressing the remote’s power button. The Aux button is programmed to my Pioneer AV receiver, the TV button is programmed to my Plasma monitor and the Sat button is of course set to the Hopper.

When in Aux mode, the AVR goes on or off with the power button. In TV mode, same for the monitor. But in SAT mode, the remote’s power button turns on both the TV and Hopper. When on however, only the TV shuts off and the Hooper stays on (green power light is on) until the 4 hour inactivity timeout turns it off. Of course when I press the power button on the Hopper’s front panel it goes off.

I have looked at all the remote’s settings and don’t see anything that affects this. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Hopper3 will shut itself off 1 minute after the TV shuts off. Dish programmed the delay so that customers that accidentally pushed the off button instead of the DVR button could press the select button to resume watching.
The inactivity Timeout is different. It will shut down the Hopper3 if no activity is sensed on the remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Hopper3 will shut itself off 1 minute after the TV shuts off. Dish programmed the delay so that customers that accidentally pushed the off button instead of the DVR button could press the select button to resume watching.
The inactivity Timeout is different. It will shut down the Hopper3 if no activity is sensed on the remote.

That's not what I am experiencing. The green light stays on for a very long time after I have shut everything off. I haven't tried to time it, only when I come back hours later is the power light off.

That's not what I am experiencing. The green light stays on for a very long time after I have shut everything off. I haven't tried to time it, only when I come back hours later is the power light off.

Under Remote Control Settings Advanced make sure that HDMI-CEC is turned on

Reactions: navychop
Under Remote Control Settings Advanced make sure that HDMI-CEC is turned on

It was on, I also tried turning it off but that didn't seem to make any difference. I do appreciate the advice.

It’s actually programmed that way, so you can pause your show and go to another room and pickup where you left off. Hence the name hopper.

I see, but there should be a setting so that Off mean Off.

As stated above it will go off (into standby) after a few minutes. If the green light isn't going off then something else canceled the standby process such as pressing any button at all on the remote besides the power button, after it was already pressed. You can actually see what it's doing if you put your hand over front of remote blocking the infrared signal to the TV while you hit power. A message should appear on bottom right corner saying it's going to go into standby. If that message doesn't appear something is wrong. If it does appear then green light will go off shortly after.

As stated above it will go off (into standby) after a few minutes. If the green light isn't going off then something else canceled the standby process such as pressing any button at all on the remote besides the power button, after it was already pressed. You can actually see what it's doing if you put your hand over front of remote blocking the infrared signal to the TV while you hit power. A message should appear on bottom right corner saying it's going to go into standby. If that message doesn't appear something is wrong. If it does appear then green light will go off shortly after.
If your Hopper is on the internet then use your voice remote to give the Hopper the simple command "turn off" and that should do it.

Still try to get used to the Hooper after years with my trusty VIP receivers. Of course many others have complained about no recording light, and I have to agree, very annoying. But, I really don’t like the way the remote seems to work. First, it only controls 3 devices instead of 4 like the old remotes (yes I still have a Blu-ray player and tons of physical media).

However what really bugs me, is the Hopper doesn’t shut down when pressing the remote’s power button. The Aux button is programmed to my Pioneer AV receiver, the TV button is programmed to my Plasma monitor and the Sat button is of course set to the Hopper.

When in Aux mode, the AVR goes on or off with the power button. In TV mode, same for the monitor. But in SAT mode, the remote’s power button turns on both the TV and Hopper. When on however, only the TV shuts off and the Hooper stays on (green power light is on) until the 4 hour inactivity timeout turns it off. Of course when I press the power button on the Hopper’s front panel it goes off.

I have looked at all the remote’s settings and don’t see anything that affects this. What am I missing?

Thanks!

I have a thought about your issue with the Hopper not turning off when you hit the power button while it turns on OK. Can you share your exact TV model number with us?

I believe, this is it! For as long as I have had my AV setup, I have always turned on the AVR, TV and Sat in that order, and then I shut them down in the reverse order. I have been doing the same thing since getting the Hopper a few days ago, but I don't have to select TV since it shuts off with Sat selected. But then I select Aux to turn of my AVR, which as you say, probably cancels the Hopper going into standby until the inactivity timer expires?

I believe, this is it! For as long as I have had my AV setup, I have always turned on the AVR, TV and Sat in that order, and then I shut them down in the reverse order. I have been doing the same thing since getting the Hopper a few days ago, but I don't have to select TV since it shuts off with Sat selected. But then I select Aux to turn of my AVR, which as you say, probably cancels the Hopper going into standby until the inactivity timer expires?
I just recreated your scenario. I turned off my AVR after shutting off the Hopper and TV and the Hopper did not go into standby even after 5 minutes. So, this is the sequence you want to use when turning on and off the system:

Turning on - With the 54 remote in Sat, Press the power button. The TV and Hopper will power on. Press the Aux button and then the power button. The AVR will turn on. Press the Sat button to watch TV, change channels etc.

Turning off - Press the Aux button and then the power button. The AVR turns off. Press the Sat button and then the power button. The TV and Hopper turn off. The Hopper will go into standby after about a minute and the Hopper light will turn off.

I thought in reality, all the boxes really do is go into standby as i will still record even when off so it's not really off except you cannot rewind because it wasn't tuned to anything while i's off. Atleast that's what I remember from reading on this site. As for the green light, did you have something recording at the time in question, not sure if that is correct or not.

I thought in reality, all the boxes really do is go into standby as i will still record even when off so it's not really off except you cannot rewind because it wasn't tuned to anything while i's off. Atleast that's what I remember from reading on this site. As for the green light, did you have something recording at the time in question, not sure if that is correct or not.
As long as SAT is the last thing I power off, the Hopper goes into standby (green light off) within a few minutes.

So I was at customers house today and after turning TV off pressed aux to turn off avr and it made dish come back on which is not normal behavior and must be a result of one of the latest software updates. When pressing aux it shouldn't affect the dish receiver in any way. I think this has happened before and they were able to fix it. I'll mention it in our forums (which is probably useless) or maybe Josh.M can look into it.

So I was at customers house today and after turning TV off pressed aux to turn off avr and it made dish come back on which is not normal behavior and must be a result of one of the latest software updates. When pressing aux it shouldn't affect the dish receiver in any way. I think this has happened before and they were able to fix it. I'll mention it in our forums (which is probably useless) or maybe Josh.M can look into it.
We'll look into it. What software were they on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts