Why don’t people make a bigger deal of this difference between Dish and D* DVRs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dhjean

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
I switched to D* when I moved three months ago. It wasn’t so much a choice to leave Dish. But when I started exploring, I was intrigued by the MVR capabilities that D* offers.

That’s all good, but what I have loved that my Dish 722 never could do was overlapping recordings. With my 722, every time I would record two consecutive shows, there would be a several second gap between the end of one recording and the beginning of the next, and more often than not, it would be at some relevant point in either the end of one show or the beginning of the next.

With my HR24s the recordings overlap by several minutes; so every recording covers the entire show being recorded. This is so much better and, to me, a huge difference between the capabilities of the two technologies.

I never read anything about this before switching, and it would have made this an even easier decision.

And now that I have my HR24s I wonder why Dish hadn’t set up their recordings this way. I’m glad for this reason alone that I switched (although there are lots of other things I like about D*).

Actually, this is something I've loved since switching from Comcast in January. I often missed things in that small gap and it's great to be able to back up a few seconds when a show starts or ends off it's schedule. So, it's not just ex-Dish people who enjoy it.

because most Dish subs put the blinders on and just gloat how they can record 4 shows at once (2 OTA 2 sat) when most folks dont have OTA yet forget about that issue ;)

Side note...there are threads in the Dish area about that scenario. I have a 211k ( 1 sat, 1 OTA tuner) and complained about it too.

As having both this year, each have pros and cons. IMHO, the HR24 and the ViP 722K are both great and I was happy to use either...

I many not be understanding the OP issue because the simple fix with the VIP DVR's is to simply pad your timer. This way it forces the next recording to any other available tuner or did I misunderstand?

Directv & Dish both have very good systems regarding the HR24 & 722. Each different in their own way. MRV is a very cool feature & for house holds with more than 1 HR24 an added bonus. I agree with your statement of it not being a bigger deal to the masses, but then again this site is largely a fan based Dish forum. Even though it may not seem so here, Directv has the numbers to say so differently.

I many not be understanding the OP issue because the simple fix with the VIP DVR's is to simply pad your timer. This way it forces the next recording to any other available tuner or did I misunderstand?

But what if you dont want that to happen or worse you have 3 shows on during that hour?
Great example....my dad has 5 shows on Monday's to record
back to back to back to back on CBS and the g/f likes "Dancing with the washed up folks"

so tuner 2 goes from 6:59-7:30 then hard cut, 7:30-8:00 then hard cut, 8-8:30 well you get the point
tuner 1 is recording DWTWUF from 6:59-9:01

As we know CBS likes to run til right at the time or even a few seconds after. Directv will get those 1 min overlap. Dish wont in the case above.

Because in the Dish one you can set the default timers to record some minutes later the hour or before the prgram starts and that way the recordings will overlap.
To me they overlap when they are one after the other.

Because in the Dish one you can set the default timers to record some minutes later the hour or before the prgram starts and that way the recordings will overlap.

no it doesn't. I have a 211k and if you record back to back it "hard cuts" at the time the schedule says and will NOT record the overlap. Plenty of threads in the Dish area about that (or if they have a dual tuner unit the 2nd program bumps to tuner 1 if it can)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)