Why don't we have Longhorn Network yet?

I wouldn't expect a Big 12-2 fan to get it. Being a CUSA (AAC come July 1st) fan, I would've been ecstatic to be able to catch every game from ECU's conference mates (cause let's face it, we had no issue getting in TV).

AAC won't have that issue except 10ish% will be on espn3. That 10% plus the other sports on The American Network would appeal to me because ECU baseball has never gotten the TV exposure we have deserved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enough with the stupid conference insults. It is the Big 12 or BIG XII none of this other crap. I swear you can't even have a serious converstion around here anymore without some asinine comment.

I live in Tulsa and happen to be a CUSA fan. I watched plenty of Tulsa, ECU and other cusa games last year.

My opinon still stands. These networks shouldn't exist unless they are ala carte or in a sports pack.

Baseball in general isn't a ratings draw or you would see more games from the Big conferences on tv. They force these conference channels into basic packages for everyone to pay for and next thing they are going to complain about is low attendance so they will start blacking out games.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Honestly I didn't see his remark as a conference insult.

As for there is plenty already on tv now, yeah there is. As a football fan, I want ALL of the games I want to watch to be readily available. Even with the selection we have now, and being of all things a Bama fan, I still have one ppv game to buy a year. Some schools have more than that if they even have ppv.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

No. Cyclones.tv is an actual tv station on Mediacom in Iowa that is a 24 hour/7 day a week channel that is exclusively dedicated to Iowa State sports. It is a separate channel from Fox Sports Net. They also have an internet subscription LIKE soonersports.tv, but I am not talking about the internet subscription. I am talking about the actual TV channel.

You're right that's exactly like The Longhorn Network and BYU's national network. :cool:

The Big 12 has 10 teams and the Big 10 has 12 teams.

It keeps me up at night. Can't they fix this??

If you change it now then they will just have to change it again in a few years because the amount of teams the conference has will never stay the same. The Big XII and Big Ten have become trademarks and household names now. Being an Iowa fan I don't think about the number of teams when I hear the Big Ten. To me it's a brand name or title that is traditional and represents the style of play associated with all the conference teams over it's history. I think of it as a name just like the SEC or ACC.

If you feel they need to change the name because the number of teams is different then they need to change the name of other conferences also. The SEC does not ONLY include Southeast teams now. The Big East has multiple teams from the Midwest. These are just a couple examples.

It's gotten to the point where they should maybe all just have generic conference names like the National Athletic Conference.

You're right that's exactly like The Longhorn Network and BYU's national network. :cool:
Nowhere did I say that they were exactly like them. It is a regional network only on Mediacom in Iowa and some border states. But it IS a TV network. You were saying it is the same thing as soonersports.tv and it isn't. Soonersports.tv is not a tv network that has OU sports 24/7.

Nowhere did I say that they were exactly like them.

There was a pretty strong insinuation.

There are only 3 schools that have their own TV network: Texas, BYU and Iowa State.

There is a difference between a Network and a TV Station.

And although soonersports.tv isn't a 24/7 network, they show a large amount of it on Fox Sports Oklahoma and Fox Sports Southwest, which is a network that you can get nationally. So I'd rather have that.

Here is the schedule..
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208865577

pretty hefty slate for not being 24/7

Last edited:
OK, then the precise wording should have been that there are only two schools that have a 24/7 TV channel that is fully dedicated to sports. They are Texas and Iowa State. Texas's channel is bigger and has a wider reach and more cable and satellite providers. Iowa State's channel is regional and only available with one provider (Mediacom). However, it doesn't make my statement false.

Frankly, I am surprised that OU did not create their own channel. But, they must have gotten a pretty good deal from Fox Sports and felt that it was better than creating their own tv channel. For Iowa State, I think they were better off creating their own channel in state and then selling the content over the internet.

OK, then the precise wording should have been that there are only two schools that have a 24/7 TV channel that is fully dedicated to sports. They are Texas and Iowa State. Texas's channel is bigger and has a wider reach and more cable and satellite providers. Iowa State's channel is regional and only available with one provider (Mediacom). However, it doesn't make my statement false.

Frankly, I am surprised that OU did not create their own channel. But, they must have gotten a pretty good deal from Fox Sports and felt that it was better than creating their own tv channel. For Iowa State, I think they were better off creating their own channel in state and then selling the content over the internet.

OU gets $58 million over 10yrs from Fox for Tier 3 broadcasts on FSN in (Oklahoma,Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana) and an additional $7-8 million a year from Learfield Communications for the Tier 3 advertising and broadcast rights online of Sooner Sports TV. Fox takes over branding on the SoonerSportsTV website on July 1, 2014 too.

OSU and WVU are slightly behind that at $9-10 million a year total for Tier 3 rights. TCU and TTech are in the $7.5 to 8 million range. Kansas get around $7 million just for Tier 3 basketball games, not sure on their total take, (probably in the $8-9 range) and I don't know about Baylor, KSU and ISU's deals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)