Why E* Employee's don't CARE!

dnsguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
washington state
This is why everybody has had a bad experience with dish; for the past two years they have been taking 1/2 of an hour out of everyone's daily hours without notice to that person. If I work ten hours and don't write in a lunch break, because I didn't take one, the manager writes it in without any employee's knowledge. I have called the Wages and Overtime office and they are going to open an investigation.

-Former dnsguy

No, I have brought it up to management many times and was told that it was well within their right to do. I even tried coming back from the field and just sitting in the office for 1/2 an hour to make up for it, but was written up for that.

Last edited:
According to law you have to take a lunch if you work an 8 hour sh*t (may be 6 hours, I forget). When I worked retail in college they forced me to take a lunch for that reason.

This is why everybody has had a bad experience with dish; for the past two years they have been taking 1/2 of an hour out of everyone's daily hours without notice to that person. If I work ten hours and don't write in a lunch break, because I didn't take one, the manager writes it in without any employee's knowledge. I have called the Wages and Overtime office and they are going to open an investigation.

-Former dnsguy

Bring a book and cheap little wind up oven timer. At lunch, set it for 30 minutes, sit and wait for it go off. Now you arrive 30 minutes later to the office, same thing you were trying to accomplish what you got written up for.

It depends on the state. In TX there is no meal time requirement, they do not have to give you any time during the work day. The federal rules are IF they give you a meal break it needs to be at least 30 minutes. You will need to research the law for the state you are in to see if they are violating it.

Not that I agree with what they are doing, but I don't think this alone is the reason why customer service with dish is so bad.

"Not that I agree with what they are doing, but I don't think this alone is the reason why customer service with dish is so bad."
Yep.

And I think MLB is right, especially since OP is from Washington State, comrades.

It's not your boss's fault.

I note "former" dns guy. Better luck in your new position.

Ah, Stone. **sigh**

"Not that I agree with what they are doing, but I don't think this alone is the reason why customer service with dish is so bad."
Yep.

It's not your boss's fault.

I note "former" dns guy. Better luck in your new position.

From what I gathered from talking to the Wages office it is NOT ok for my boss(the one who has been handwriting 1/2 hour out of my day for two years) to do this.

According to law you have to take a lunch if you work an 8 hour sh*t (may be 6 hours, I forget). When I worked retail in college they forced me to take a lunch for that reason.

No matter what happens in this thread, thats the best typo I have seen today. :D

-Former dnsguy

No, I have brought it up to management many times and was told that it was well within their right to do. I even tried coming back from the field and just sitting in the office for 1/2 an hour to make up for it, but was written up for that.
Either your a moron or you slept through your orientation and your training. The HR person would have told you about the policy of taking a lunch, its also in the employee's manual that is given to every new hire and unless things have changed this was one of many papers that you would have signed. This is also something that techs always talk about specialy when they are new and training with an experienced tech, there are ways to get that half hour even if you dont take a lunch. The hardest part you have to do is prove that you didnt take any lunch wich really you cant prove as the only time you see a time clock is when you come in to the shop in the morning and when you leave in the evening. You should give a second thought to taking legal action against dish, they have a barn full of very effective lawyers and if you were fired then good luck on getting your unemployment, I never got mine.

Oh and really that half hour is the smallest ant hill for most techs that have worked for dish, the reason why some people experience bad service with an installer is they are unlucky enough to get stuck with someone who doesnt give a crap about what he's doing.

Either your a moron or you slept through your orientation and your training. The HR person would have told you about the policy of taking a lunch, its also in the employee's manual that is given to every new hire and unless things have changed this was one of many papers that you would have signed. This is also something that techs always talk about specialy when they are new and training with an experienced tech, there are ways to get that half hour even if you dont take a lunch. The hardest part you have to do is prove that you didnt take any lunch wich really you cant prove as the only time you see a time clock is when you come in to the shop in the morning and when you leave in the evening. You should give a second thought to taking legal action against dish, they have a barn full of very effective lawyers and if you were fired then good luck on getting your unemployment, I never got mine.

Oh and really that half hour is the smallest ant hill for most techs that have worked for dish, the reason why some people experience bad service with an installer is they are unlucky enough to get stuck with someone who doesnt give a crap about what he's doing.

There's no need to call me a moron, you ass. Just kidding. Yes you are absolutely correct. When you come on with DNS they tell you that you get a half hour lunch, but if they make you work instead of going to lunch, or they don't allow you to come back at the end of the day to take your lunch as was the case in our office then what am i to do? And it is not ok for someone a manager or not to write time in and out on my timecard. And an ant hill? From talking with the wage and overtime people they can only enforce Dish to pay back those hours at minimum wage. So it will not be what I should get but over TWO YEARS it's 1879$. ( I think minimum is 5.15)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts