Why have it if Quality is bad :no

ChetK said:
Just for the record, if you've read this entire thread, then you are definitely educated, aware and informed.

So why your previous post?
Are you saying that people who don't see things exactly as you do are ignorant and stupid?

No, not at all. Someone earlier said that "ignorance is bliss." My point is: How can you be ignorant if you are in the know?

Look, I've had a LOT of experience with digital video. I can tell the difference between a highly compressed image and a not-so-compressed image. Maybe I just have a trained eye. I'm not suggesting that you're stupid if you don't see it.

My whole point here is that Voom doesn't look as good as Dish Network when it comes to HD. And that's a fact. It is due to more compression. My mission in this thread is to point this out so that it can be fixed. When folks come on here and say that there is not a difference, it gives Voom more of a reason to NOT fix it.

ChetK said:
My whole point here is that Voom doesn't look as good as Dish Network when it comes to HD. And that's a fact. It is due to more compression. ..

I am not sure what is a fact and what is our impression. I believe that it was Sean who mentioned that the actual compression rate for HD signals on D* and E* is very similar to V*. It might be the STB. I have had 3 different D* STBs, and I could tell the difference between them.

ChetK said:
No, not at all. Someone earlier said that "ignorance is bliss." My point is: How can you be ignorant if you are in the know?

Look, I've had a LOT of experience with digital video. I can tell the difference between a highly compressed image and a not-so-compressed image. Maybe I just have a trained eye. I'm not suggesting that you're stupid if you don't see it.

My whole point here is that Voom doesn't look as good as Dish Network when it comes to HD. And that's a fact. It is due to more compression. My mission in this thread is to point this out so that it can be fixed. When folks come on here and say that there is not a difference, it gives Voom more of a reason to NOT fix it.

Chet, kind of "misleading" your previous post!

"Ignorance is bliss" for those who don't see it, of course.

This doesn't lead anywhere.

andrzej said:
I am not sure what is a fact and what is our impression. I believe that it was Sean who mentioned that the actual compression rate for HD signals on D* and E* is very similar to V*. It might be the STB. I have had 3 different D* STBs, and I could tell the difference between them.

Forgetting the Satellite PQ, the local OTA thru the Motorola box also is not as good as my pervious STB. That leads me to conclude that the output coming from the Motorola box is not up to par. No extra compression off the OTA digital unless the box is doing someting weird on decoding and making appear that way... Which it does. colors are less vibrate and no sharpness of detail.

Early someone had suggesting writing Voom and detailing my opinion of PQ. I don't get back an answer but a request to call the regular Voom phone which you can't get thru because it cuts you off totally at 5 or 7 minutes. I get the feeling that Voom doesn't want to hear my opinion on here, via email, via phone or via yahoo.

The response from Voom

Thank you for contacting VOOM, home of the HD evolution!
We use MPEG-2 compression through our satellite, which is what almost
every other provider uses at this time. If there is a problem with your
picture it may not be the feed, because we are receiving the
programming very clearly here. If you could give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM any
of our customer service representatives would be happy to troubleshoot
this with you. Once again thank you for contacting VOOM, if you have
any further questions, please don't hesitate to call us at
1-800-438-VOOM.

Clearly, they think they are doing the best they can. :no

ChetK said:

Chet- You sound like you think that you are the only one with with any film/video background. Many of us have a "trained eye" which is why some of us are drawn to Voom to begin with. I think you are dead wrong when you say that Voom doesn't look as good as Dish. Voom's PQ on HD channels is excellent. I've had all three and Voom is as good, if not better than Dish and DirecTV.

Some of us might have a better working STB box than you. Others here have reported different levels of PQ with different STB's from Voom. If so- that is a real issue to address with Voom. The stutter sounds real and will be fixed. You can always cancel Voom.

Those of us with great PQ, have as much right to voice our happiness as you do to complain all the time.

You make a great point. I was not so impressed with my original STB voom PQ after initial install. I had it swithced out for other problem and Walllaaa.
I had that sharp HD pick I was looking for!

Ice,

I'm glad to here that worked for ya bud. It seems many have swapped the STB with great results. That doesn't totally let Voom off the hook, but maybe they will allow Sony and others to make STB's. I've had a Sony SAT HD200 and can only hope for a box as nice to use with Voom. Competion only helps you and I when it comes to STB's.

Lot cheaper than a darn new Plasma, eh?

I have been reading this thread and other post abut PQ and I finally sat down and did a side by side comparisment on my Mits 65712 of DHD on Direct tv and Voom and had my wife with me and let her see what she though and I can see that Vooms DHD was a little sharper than D and I know alot of people say that the SD on voom is better but I think its better on D and maybe its just my Tv I have changed the connections on the SD feed to compare but D just looks better on SD but voom is shaper on HD and I never had my box changed out just m2c

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)