Why have it if Quality is bad :no

HDNet Sports don't look that way. ESPNHD looks that way on Voom, but not on Dish Network. TNTHD looks that way on Voom, but not on Dish Network.

The same low bitrate holds true for all HD channels on Voom. However, the halos may not be as noticable since the character/objects may not be on static backgrounds (such as the grass field).

However, macroblocking and other compression artifacting occurs on those channels due to low bit rates.

cyuhnke said:
I know that makes me sound dumb, but how are HD novices supposed to know what it's supposed to look like? The only services I've had for HD are Voom and cable. The first thing I ever saw on INHD was an Orioles game. I remember thinking how "shiny" the players looked, and I just assumed it was because HD picked up the artificial lighting so well.

There are a variety of compression artifacts, just do a search on google and you have something to read.

Basically here you don't want to see that "halo", or "shadow", around "sharp edges" (also see DVD Edge Enhancement for description of halos).

gutter said:
I have never had D" or E". Just a STB that gave me the big wow factor on local digitial. The voom box does not have it even on that. I think the problem is in the box as well. When component looks better than DVI something is very wrong with the box. From what I have read, the box is to be updated with new firmware and new software. I hope part of the solution is to improve the picture quality. I know my Sammy DLP deliverers Wow if it is fed it. It ain't getting it yet but I will hold with Voom and see what happens. After all, I have just been a sub for one week. I want them to succeed. I would hope they would at least admit that it is different and that they are working on it. However I have to say that, for some reason, the barker channels seem to have the Wow .

probably because the barker has just the highlights?

I don't know. I hope Voom is looking hard into this. But I'm afraid as long as there are people who say PQ's okay, it gives them license to dismiss others as nitpicks and malcontents and do nothing.

Vreesar said:
Oops, scratch the comment I had initially put here for you scubasoul.

Chetk, I understand what your saying but the Source is the same for everyone and for you or a couple others to be experiencing the problem and other not see'ing the same means that it HAS to be your equipment. Either faulty equipments/software or install.

Or maybe other people aren't watching as closely, or are less sensitive. Or they have no other source or experience to compare to.

Voom's entire marketing is based on HD and PQ. over and over again. You can't look less than your major competitor if you say the opposite. Voom, just be straight up and tell us specifically what you are doing and how it will sharpen the picture.

so once again.....

So once again I must ask, halo and all, with the quality better on Dish.... is the content worth a bad quality picture? I mean, to me, it seems people are unhappy with it but because there are more channels they will subscribe.... and that doesn't make sense to me ie: Would you rather hang 30 paintings by a 2 year old (your own children don't count) or would you hang one painting by a master?

I got home at 8:40 last night and thought I'd check this out. DHDT had no halos at the time I was watching and had the WOW factor for the first time I watched it on Voom. A Rides episode was playing. Tuning to a Cinema10 channel, I saw the haloing and "busy" noise around lettering. It's very evident when credits are showing on a movie.

I also watched the last 30 minutes of The Crawling Eye and the PQ was flawless and it was black and white. I could detect zero artifacts during this movie.

Last night I was flipping between D* and V* watching HD Discovery channel on both (something about cars, I didn't pay attention because I was looking for artifacts and differences). Sitting very close to my plasma (~2 feet) I didn't see any artifacts and I couldn't tell which one was better. There were some minor differences in color saturation (I liked V* better) but no artifacts. I don't know, maybe they are there but I just couldn't see them on that program.

[sarcasm]Hey, yeah, at the same time, let's all call Voom and let them know that we don't care if they compress the HD content because most of us can't tell a difference.[/sarcasm]

Fact is, I expect things to get better once wm9 is in place. If it doesn't get better, I'm outta here.

Could be I'm blind, but I couldn't see motion artifacts around the soccer players on WorldSport (just tried a minute ago, got my five-year-old to look for "shimmer" as well).

Now, I assume you've experimented with this, since it sounds like you've gone to great lengths to document the problem -- but is it the same no matter what output resolution you set your Voom box to?

(No way for me to experiment much, as my TV doesn't like 720p -- so I just keep it set to forced 1080i output on the Voom box)

Just because some don't see does not mean it's not there.

I guess there are still people who don't see the "stutter" although the problem has already been confirmed by Wilt/Voom.

If you don't see it, great, ignorance is bliss :)

Scubasoul said:
Just because some don't see does not mean it's not there.

I guess there are still people who don't see the "stutter" although the problem has already been confirmed by Wilt/Voom.

If you don't see it, great, ignorance is bliss :)

For the sake of argument: if I don't see it than it is not a problem for me and I do not want to pay a cent for fixing it just to make a minority of more sensitive people happy. It is only a matter of how many of us see it. Nothing is perfect; there are only various levels of imperfection.
Yup, ignorance is bliss.

andrzej said:
For the sake of argument: if I don't see it than it is not a problem for me and I do not want to pay a cent for fixing it just to make a minority of more sensitive people happy. It is only a matter of how many of us see it. Nothing is perfect; there are only various levels of imperfection.
Yup, ignorance is bliss.

I wonder, what do you actually pay for it?

Problems are mentioned here so that Voom can improve there service.
I'm sure some people here AND at Voom appreciate it. That's why they monitor these boards in the first place. They don't monitor these boards just to hear "everything is great", no benefit for them.

ig·no·rance n. The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

stu·pid·i·ty n. pl. 1. The quality or state of being stupid; extreme dullness of perception or understanding; insensibility; sluggishness.
2. a poor ability to understand or to profit from experience

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)