Why in the world!?!?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

memory

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
working usually
WHY WHY WHY is it that some people that have like dishnetwork or digital cable WITH RG6 cable just INSIST on haveing new cable run this is a total waste and dumb to me!!! I mean I hear the excuse that the cable is old its been in the house for 5 years and blah blah blah HMMMM here is a question to those people, Everytime you change a lightbulb do you cal lyour local electrician and have new wiring put in I mean hey its been there for 5 years or more SHEEEEEESHHHH hmm sorry for the rant!!

Maybe because they know its included with the install and want the outlets placed in new locations to match their current needs. Maybe pre-existing RG6 is not covered by the warranties and/or guarantees? Are either or both of these possible answers?

My house is 7 years old. From day one it was cabled kind of backwards....in the sense that the original owner had the house cabled deliberately for satellite. All the house leads come together, in a fashion, in the attic. Bless him but he forgot one thing and that was to label the 20 or so cables. I recently had a new Slimline installed and because the placement changed we ran new cables. In the course of doing that I discovered many bad connectors, actually just poorly done by the first owner, and slowly but surely have been redoing those. That alone has really improved picture quality and got me away from thinking there were cable problems. There are days, like tracing cable in the attic when it's 130 degrees up there, that running new cable would have sounded pretty good.

God, what's wrong with customers asking for what they want?? Why can't they just be satisfied with what they get? What's with these customers these days?

People want their monies worth (free???). Same reason people throw away half a plate of food at the all-you-can-eat buffet. I don’t really need it but I want it just in case.
Oh, you want your quad-shield replaced with the D* minimum requirement…OK.

God, what's wrong with customers asking for what they want?? Why can't they just be satisfied with what they get? What's with these customers these days?

Hmm like the sarcasim there!!

OK so what your house is 5 years old and you want D* and you want me to rewall fish all your wires hmmm OHHH WAIT thats not free but they told me yada yada yada!!! Like in a earlier post WOW a new car and you want new tires!!!

I had one customer that absolutely insisted I had to give them the 125 feet of cable that D* allows per receiver, despite the fact I only needed about 60 feet to get to the receiver. The customer stated that if I didn't leave the cable, they were going to call D* and complain.

I pulled 125 feet of cable, made my connection from the dish to the ground block, from the wall plate to the receiver, and left the rest in one piece that I coiled into a 12" loop at the ground block. The customer wanted me to cut the cable and leave the rest with him, with connectors on it. I called my supervisor and told him what had happened and he just laughed. He then spoke to the customer and gave him three options: 1) I leave enough cable to do the install and take the rest; 2) The customer gets his 125 feet but it stays coiled at the ground block; or 3) I leave enough cable for the install, cut the rest and put connectors on it and then charge the customer $0.25 per foot for extra cable.

Customer chose option #1. :devil:

I pulled 125 feet of cable, made my connection from the dish to the ground block, from the wall plate to the receiver, and left the rest in one piece that I coiled into a 12" loop at the ground block.

I like that idea. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard something to the affect of “since the wire was already there can you run another outlet over there in case I want to move the receiver; they said I get 125 feet”

I had one customer that absolutely insisted I had to give them the 125 feet of cable that D* allows per receiver, despite the fact I only needed about 60 feet to get to the receiver. The customer stated that if I didn't leave the cable, they were going to call D* and complain.

I pulled 125 feet of cable, made my connection from the dish to the ground block, from the wall plate to the receiver, and left the rest in one piece that I coiled into a 12" loop at the ground block. The customer wanted me to cut the cable and leave the rest with him, with connectors on it. I called my supervisor and told him what had happened and he just laughed. He then spoke to the customer and gave him three options: 1) I leave enough cable to do the install and take the rest; 2) The customer gets his 125 feet but it stays coiled at the ground block; or 3) I leave enough cable for the install, cut the rest and put connectors on it and then charge the customer $0.25 per foot for extra cable.

Customer chose option #1. :devil:

Good for you! If I had been you, I would not of given the cable out of principle. If memory serves me, I believe the rule is DTV states they will supply 'Up to 125 feet' of cable and any amount greater than that is at the customer expense.
Think this customer goes in for an opertation at the hospital, is told they may need four pints of blood, the opertatioon uses only two and expects to be sent home with two extra pints?:D

You whiny installers should create your own forum to complain about your customers..You guys sound like the poor sap that came over here twice. bad attitude, wanting to say he moved this box over here so that he could make more money, complaining about everything, that really did not care about, to be honest.

If you guys hate your jobs so much find another one. We(the customer) pay a crap load of money every month for this stuff, including our over priced sports packages, and I don't think us wanting OUR installs right is asking too much..

You whiny installers should create your own forum to complain about your customers..You guys sound like the poor sap that came over here twice. bad attitude, wanting to say he moved this box over here so that he could make more money, complaining about everything, that really did not care about, to be honest.

If you guys hate your jobs so much find another one. We(the customer) pay a crap load of money every month for this stuff, including our over priced sports packages, and I don't think us wanting OUR installs right is asking too much..
Ditto. And half of them don't know how to peak a Dish. I don't know how they get the jobs in the first place. I guess they just have to pass the old fog on a mirror test or own a pickup truck.

First off, most installs are free.
Second how is trying to rip-off the installer related to doing the install correctly?

What does the customer wanting free extras that are not included in the DTV definitions of a standard install have to do with doing the job right?! In fact I would not be doing my job right if I just gave out extra supplies to every disgruntled customer, not very cost effective to my employer. Also, if you want your house re-wired with inferior cable that’s fine with me, but wall fishing is an additional charge. And as far as YOUR channels being priced too high…maybe YOU can convince E* and the cable companies to just stop bidding on them so YOU don’t have to pay so much.

Its the people like this are the people that make ya go HMMMMM!!!!! I havent seen anyone installer here say they hate there job!! I have seen them talking about customers who want MORE than what they were promised and there are alot of there EXAMPLE!!!

My office was wayyy overbooked this pastweekend because of D* and there was one guy who they wanted to reschedule but OHHH NO he was a lawyer and bullied his way into getting his way and it took 3 installers 9 and a half hours to do this job and since HE was the whiny one the guys werent able to charge him custom labor or anything like that!! SOOO DETFAN why dont goto work and volunteer for extra things to do at work just for fun and not be paid for it!!!

Ditto. And half of them don't know how to peak a Dish. I don't know how they get the jobs in the first place. I guess they just have to pass the old fog on a mirror test or own a pickup truck.

And ohh yeah I love dealing with guys like you the ones who know everything cause they read it in a forum. More than likely you wouldnt last a day in a installers shoes!!

First off, most installs are free.
Second how is trying to rip-off the installer related to doing the install correctly?
NOTHING IS FREE. it is included in the price of installation and is paid back to D* during the 2 year term of the agreement. I agree asking to leave extra cable is going beyond the install, but installing new wiring to ensure it is done correct is totally appropriate.

Its the people like this are the people that make ya go HMMMMM!!!!! I havent seen anyone installer here say they hate there job!! I have seen them talking about customers who want MORE than what they were promised and there are alot of there EXAMPLE!!!

My office was wayyy overbooked this pastweekend because of D* and there was one guy who they wanted to reschedule but OHHH NO he was a lawyer and bullied his way into getting his way and it took 3 installers 9 and a half hours to do this job and since HE was the whiny one the guys werent able to charge him custom labor or anything like that!! SOOO DETFAN why dont goto work and volunteer for extra things to do at work just for fun and not be paid for it!!!

I do extra stuff all the time my friend, go cry about it some where else. Part of life, so as I said earlier wuit whining.

WHY WHY WHY is it that some people that have like dishnetwork or digital cable WITH RG6 cable just INSIST on haveing new cable run this is a total waste and dumb to me!!!

If the cable is not solid copper, replace it. The HD signal requires every bit of the conduit to be copper, otherwise you will see drop outs/pixelation.:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.