Why is Direct Tv so expensive ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
Looks like the equipment is alot higher in price then Dish.

Simple, dirty answer. Because folks are willing to pay it. They would price it higher if folks would pay it, they won't, so its where it is. The price is not going down anytime soon, if ever. Everyone is making gobs of money, and most everyone from the programmers to Directv to their subscribers are happy. :)

They do need to lower their prices to compete with Fios.

not here they don't ;)

Why would they reduce prices to compete with a product that is only currently available in 30% of the US .. when they can continue to charge and get the higher price in the other 70% of the states that they serve ?

Until subscriber numbers start taking a dive - they have no reason to drop their prices. Shame - but its sound economic logic.

I just find it crazy DTV wants me to spend $396.00 to lease my equipment. I understand thay have more HD But damn thats alot of money. And when you factor in 2ys contract WOW.

I just find it crazy DTV wants me to spend $396.00 to lease my equipment. I understand thay have more HD But damn thats alot of money. And when you factor in 2ys contract WOW.

What receivers are you getting for that money?

It's called Directv has invested billions in infrastructure and they want to make a profit! That's what they are there for. They are not a non profit company.

When I signed on with D*, the least expensive way to build a big system was to start with as much as you could get for free, and gradually expand.

I've got less than $200 in all the D* equipment in my signature.

Value for Money

Well I received installation for 4-room free with the subscription so I don’t think DirecTV is over-priced. Even if they increased their price further I would still stick to DirecTV as it offers unbeatable signal, picture & sound quality. Moreover, DirecTV offers channels that no other TV service provider offers. In my case its NDTV 24x7, others might find their favorite channel on DirecTV.

Just so we can make sure that this is not a trolling attempt, who is your satellite TV provider?

Are you affiliated with Dish in any way?

I don't think that's completely fair to the OP. When I was making the decision, I chose Dish over Direct because Dishes up front costs were much lower for the configuration I needed. Also Dish let me go with no contract, giving me the option to switch to someone else down the road. Those were the deal makers for me.

Now that BSG is about to start its last season, I'm considering Direct for SciFi HD. Their prices for the HD-DVR have dropped since I last looked, which does make them more attractive to me.

Point is, it is a legitimate question for some people.

When I signed on with D*, the least expensive way to build a big system was to start with as much as you could get for free, and gradually expand.

I've got less than $200 in all the D* equipment in my signature.

Same here p-man,I do not have an HR20-100 that you do but the rest of your receivers are the same ones that I have. I think if you throw in rebates etc. I have spent about the same amount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)