Why is Dish asking to down-convert the LIL HD?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Why did Dish ASK customers to contact congress to PASS this bill and ask for LIL HD then after its approved try fighting the ruling?

I hate to say it but Dish Network is run by F'ing MORONS!

I hate to say it guys. I think we have seen the best HD can provide today. With these morons running the show and wanting more profit to satisfy their hungry stockholders and investors, it maybe over for HD. Look at what D* is doing to all their 1080i HD channels. It is HD lite. The biggest problem is that when HD becomes the standard, HD lite will become the standard since no one but the early HD adopters will know how 1920x1080i looked like. Sad to say the least.

i am glad i left dish when i did. local in hd without an antenna is important to me. and it looks like dish does not care one bit about it. my options will be directv, verizon fiber or cable. most likely directv or verizon.

i was one who also helped support them getting shiva passed. they really need a new ceo and managment.

I'm really glad I left Dish too!

I'm constantly surprised at how much I was just assuming that Dish had better PQ in both SD and HD. HD is now clearly better on cable. Cable analog seems pretty much every bit as good as Dish SD. On my DLP it's actually better!

This is just one more nail.

Dish doesn't want anyone to tell them that they can't carry a HD local.
and
Dish doesn't want anyone to tell them they have to carry a HD local.
and
Dish doesn't want anyone to tell them, that they must carry a HD local at its full bandwidth.

Basically, I agree with Cyclone. All this is is Dish asking that Congress not mandate required bandwidth. Hey, if I were running a satellite company, I'd want as much flexibility as possible WRT scarce bandwidth, and not have it dictated by fiat.

Sean Mota said:
I hate to say it guys. I think we have seen the best HD can provide today.

I have a feeling you are right, until people start viewing HD DVD's (if and when that happens). Even new comers to HD will question the quality of the HD DVD versus the quality of the HD broadcast. Right now, HD on some channels on E* don't look much better than my progressive scan DVD player. Of course, that may be because of upconversion and not from E* themselves, but these programs don't look impressive to me.

Maybe HD DVD's will keep everything in perspective for HD, and we can kick 'n scream loudly enough to keep our broadcasts as close to real HD as possible.

The Big Wood said:
I have a feeling you are right, until people start viewing HD DVD's (if and when that happens). Even new comers to HD will question the quality of the HD DVD versus the quality of the HD broadcast. Right now, HD on some channels on E* don't look much better than my progressive scan DVD player. Of course, that may be because of upconversion and not from E* themselves, but these programs don't look impressive to me.

Maybe HD DVD's will keep everything in perspective for HD, and we can kick 'n scream loudly enough to keep our broadcasts as close to real HD as possible.

I disagree. I've never seen HD DVD, but I've seen true HD and I've got to say that on MY tv, DVD's are comparable to HD. Not as good, but pretty darn good, nonetheless. Now, I'm sure if I had a 65 inch TV, I might notice the difference more. But I really don't believe there's going to be that much of a difference in quality between DVD and HD DVD on an HDTV in the mid 30in size or less.

upNdown said:
I disagree. I've never seen HD DVD, but I've seen true HD and I've got to say that on MY tv, DVD's are comparable to HD. Not as good, but pretty darn good, nonetheless. Now, I'm sure if I had a 65 inch TV, I might notice the difference more. But I really don't believe there's going to be that much of a difference in quality between DVD and HD DVD on an HDTV in the mid 30in size or less.

The difference on a Sony 36 inch XBR crt is like night vs. day.
My eight-year old can see it.

upNdown said:

I haven't looked at HD on a TV smaller than 30", so if the average consumer purchases a HDTV that is that small then they probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference. E* looked absolutely flawless on me 35" in SD, then when I got my 57" I realized it looked like crap.

Granted the average consumer will be buying their 25" Himitsushi HDTV from Walmart at $200 in the near future and not notice a change at all from what they were watching in SD. :rolleyes:

Dish Network wants to downconvert to save on bandwidth and to provide those with SD televisions the HD station in SD quality. They could shut off the SD feed of a channel that would have the same programming as the HD feed of the channel.

I think when they plan on doing the receiver swap to MPEG-4 that they want everyone to have HD capability and a downconvertor built into the receivers or sold as a seperate device for the SD televisions seeing how most of the televisions are still SD.

Its a whole new ballgame though if Dish Network wants to downconvert on their end before it hits the receiver. The only requirement that Dish Network would have is to provide a digital signal in which may not be HD but ED am I right?

I dont think many of us would think that most people would get their locals this quickly because of the lack of bandwidth but it happened. We look at how hard and how long it would take for them to get most people their local channels. They accomplished that quicker than what many of us thought they would and now we look at HD the same way as we did at them adding all of those local markets back then.

The difference is exponential, not incremental this time

Can't agree with your argument. They haven't even finished the SD locals, have already increased compression to the point that pq has been degraded, and have balked at HD networks - not to mention locals.

Apples and Oranges.

Stargazer said:
Dish Network wants to downconvert to save on bandwidth and to provide those with SD televisions the HD station in SD quality. They could shut off the SD feed of a channel that would have the same programming as the HD feed of the channel.

I think when they plan on doing the receiver swap to MPEG-4 that they want everyone to have HD capability and a downconvertor built into the receivers or sold as a seperate device for the SD televisions seeing how most of the televisions are still SD.

Its a whole new ballgame though if Dish Network wants to downconvert on their end before it hits the receiver. The only requirement that Dish Network would have is to provide a digital signal in which may not be HD but ED am I right?

I dont think many of us would think that most people would get their locals this quickly because of the lack of bandwidth but it happened. We look at how hard and how long it would take for them to get most people their local channels. They accomplished that quicker than what many of us thought they would and now we look at HD the same way as we did at them adding all of those local markets back then.

The Big Wood said:
Granted the average consumer will be buying their 25" Himitsushi HDTV from Walmart at $200 in the near future and not notice a change at all from what they were watching in SD. :rolleyes:

That's pretty much my point.

Sean Mota said:
I hate to say it guys. I think we have seen the best HD can provide today. With these morons running the show and wanting more profit to satisfy their hungry stockholders and investors, it maybe over for HD. Look at what D* is doing to all their 1080i HD channels. It is HD lite. The biggest problem is that when HD becomes the standard, HD lite will become the standard since no one but the early HD adopters will know how 1920x1080i looked like. Sad to say the least.
HD will not become the standard.Only digital broadcast (18 standards/formats) are going to be standard.

HD is the de facto standard in DTV broadcasting. Just look how FOX has seen the light.

Name the shows produced for DTV that are not HD natively.

Letterman,most soap operas and daytime programs.Most sports, news shows and news networks.Shall I go on?

Btw,the vast majority of the productions I work on as a video engineer(mostly sports)SEC and ACC football and basketball,Braves Baseball (visiting team broadcast)and others,are not HD.The truck might be digital,but the broadcast is in NTSC.In fact,even on an HD truck,most of the time we downconvert the transmission to NTSC unless of coarse it' a HD show.I do predict that in 2 or 3 years 30 or 40% of sports will be available in HD.When people see it,they want it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts