Why is Dish network releasing Press releases in favor of Senator Kerry?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
As you can see further down in this forum, the last two Echostar press releases have been a direct support towards Senator Kerry. Any idea why?

DISH Network Offers Special Broadcast of Controversial Documentary 'Fahrenheit 9/11'; 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Available One Night Only on Pay-Per-View

Then this one:

DISH Network Election Poll Shows Sen. Kerry Leading in Race for President; Kerry Predicted to Get 50.1 Percent of Popular Vote

Does Echostar Dish Network have any political stance and, if so, who cares? Do they have a political agenda here? If so, what is it?

Am I missing something?

Honesly, I'm not trying to start a political debate here, so please don't do that. I'm just trying to figure out if Echostar actually supports Kerry and, if so, for what reason? (For instance: Has Kerry supported more legislation that is in favor of Dish Network's initiatives?)

I was wondering the same thing myself.

I also looked at the Interactive poll they had the other day, and noticed that the only way to respond to it was to send a text message with your cell phone at a cost of 50 cents per vote.

I don't know about you but I voted this morning and it cost me nothing. :)

Dish also had a press release about providing "Stolen Honor" on pay-per-view the same day as the "Fahrenheit 911" which is obviously anti-Kerry. Was this just missed or was there an ignorance of what "Stolen Honor" was about?

Regarding the poll, although I think it is stupid, Dish was just announcing the results. I am sure if Bush had come out on top in the poll, Dish would have announced it as well.

Puhleeze.

Most corporations give big donations to both parties. Hedging all their bets, so to speak.

I agree with rocatman.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I was wondering the same thing myself.

I also looked at the Interactive poll they had the other day, and noticed that the only way to respond to it was to send a text message with your cell phone at a cost of 50 cents per vote.

I don't know about you but I voted this morning and it cost me nothing. :)

I've got to missing someting here. I see nothing in either of the two releases linked above that indicates a preference for any candidate on the part of Echostar.

As for the "poll", it's just content enhancement, designed to increase customer enjoyment and provide some incremental revenue. With only three choices, it was designed by someone ignorant of the political landscape.

Jaspear said:
I've got to missing someting here.
Yeah, the word "be" and the "h" in "something". ;)
As for the "poll", it's just content enhancement, designed to increase customer enjoyment and provide some incremental revenue.
I think the revenue part was the biggest reason for it. I was disappointed to see that this 'interactive poll' really wasn't interactive. You couldn't vote with it, which is mostly understandable since it would require a dial-out to post your vote. But also, it seemed like the data was just being manually updated by somebody somewhere. When I looked at it several days ago, it said the results were "last updated" several hours earlier. It would have been much :cool:er to see them update much more realtime than that. I know that would have wasted a little extra sat bandwidth though...

TuxCoder said:
Yeah, the word "be" and the "h" in "something". ;)
I think the revenue part was the biggest reason for it. I was disappointed to see that this 'interactive poll' really wasn't interactive. You couldn't vote with it, which is mostly understandable since it would require a dial-out to post your vote. But also, it seemed like the data was just being manually updated by somebody somewhere. When I looked at it several days ago, it said the results were "last updated" several hours earlier. It would have been much :cool:er to see them update much more realtime than that. I know that would have wasted a little extra sat bandwidth though...

Yeah, the "b" "e" and "h" keys on my other keyboard! :D

It was interactive. You had to access it on Echostar, and vote through your cell phone company for 50 cents per vote. When they shared the revenue, they interacted!

Actually Charlie gives more money to the democrats than the republicans. But he does give money to both parties in order to hedge his bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts