Why is dish so chinchy with receivers?

mike123abc said:
I drive 2 HDTVs off of one 622 right now. I have 2 622s, but I hate to have the issue of having to worry about where I recorded it. So, I have the HDMI used on the "local HD" TV and run the component out to the "remote HD" TV. This solution works pretty good. I am probably going to add a third HDTV. I will probably just feed it components off my existing 622s instead of getting another 622.

Another advantage of this system is that I can record 2 OTA HD at once... I have a feeling it will be a long time for my market (in the 140s) to get Dish HD locals. Besides OTA HD has great PQ.

How does this work? I have never used the HDMI connection on the second tv. What about audio to that second HDMI tv? Does HDMI also supply the audio?
(shows you how much I don't know about HDMI)

FYI Dish net live chat session:

(1)Barbara B: Welcome to Dish Network, the home of Better TV for All. How may I assist you in your buying experience?
randy: I am a long time directv customer looking to go to dish for the HD selection. Is it possible to get two 622 dvr's since I have two hd tv's?
(1)Barbara B: No.

HDMI passes audio and video.
DVI passes just video.

The passage of audio is the main, but not only, difference between the two.

And good luck in getting a reliable audio feed via HDMI. There are lots of reports of people having problems with it ... and not just those with the HDMI video failure.

Of course, one can always use the L/R RCA audio output, which can also be split to two outputs with a simple Y-adapter.

dslate69 said:
Yes you are correct. Here is my post again...

"Hopefully soon the non-DVR HD boxes will be able to access recordings from a 622.
That and external storage will be enough for me."

Hopefully receivers with network connections will be able to share and access recordings from other receivers with network connections. A non-DVR should be able to playback recordings from a DVR via ethernet.
External storage is comming to the 622, this has nothing to do with non-DVR HD boxes just an added fact that we will have plenty of storage for the 622 soon.
This will never happen. As soon as you allow the digital stream to go across a network connection, it's hackable and storable. Content providers would sue Dish Network off the planet...sad to say.

I'm shocked into submission that they're planning on letting people use external storage.

Last edited:
mike123abc said:
I drive 2 HDTVs off of one 622 right now. I have 2 622s, but I hate to have the issue of having to worry about where I recorded it. So, I have the HDMI used on the "local HD" TV and run the component out to the "remote HD" TV. This solution works pretty good.

Yup... except when your 622's HMDI port craps out like mine did last month.

Awaiting the "software patch" that will supposedly fix my HDMI port output. Oh, and I did a visual inspection - it's not a cable or port issue (all the pins on the connection and the PCB it attached to are solid and intact. The cable is also good (tried it with another device and it's fine) My 622 worked great for 6+ months before HDMI suddenly stopped working. Would really like to have it back as constantly switching component outputs between two TV's is for the birds.

randym431 said:
How does this work? I have never used the HDMI connection on the second tv. What about audio to that second HDMI tv? Does HDMI also supply the audio?
(shows you how much I don't know about HDMI)

The TV next to the 622 uses HDMI. I run the component of the 622 to the remote TV. I ran 5 RG6-U cables about 80 feet for the feed (3 video 2 audio).

The audio on the TV next to the 622 is provided by HDMI.

FWGMills said:
This will never happen. As soon as you allow the digital stream to go across a network connection, it's hackable and storable. Content providers would sue Dish Network off the planet...sad to say.

I'm shocked into submission that they're planning on letting people use external storage.

Tivo's been doing this for yeeeeeeeears.. heck even Microsoft does this through their media player.. There's been several boxes you can purchase at the store that do similar if not the same thing (slingshot just to name one).

Tom Bombadil said:
And good luck in getting a reliable audio feed via HDMI. There are lots of reports of people having problems with it ... and not just those with the HDMI video failure.

Of course, one can always use the L/R RCA audio output, which can also be split to two outputs with a simple Y-adapter.

I've been using HDMI on both my boxes for about 4-5 months now and (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues yet. :)

F EchoStar

Dish Netowork/EchoStar sucks. I have never had their service but DTV will give you an HR20-700 free for new customers, will cut you a great deal if you are an existing custoemr wanting to upgrade ... and hook you up with R15 DVR's or H20 standard HD receivers for your other TV's. The only bad thing about DTV is that it is owned by NewsCorp/Fox News. I put the D in democrat ... I hate the bible beater channels ... but you can block them out with locks and limits. I hate to line the pockets of Rupert Murdoch, but DTV rules over comcast and echo star.

DishSubLA said:
Charlie's argument: Dish might phrase it differently: why are you so chincy to not pay for a second HD DVR of your own after we just provided you with one with at least a very big discount from the full retail price?

Now, I understand your point. But you have to consider Dish's view. The reason they are still in business and outlasted all their deep-pocket competition (except for Direct TV) is precisely because they don't give away too many freebies, especially expensive HD DVR's. Limiting it to one per account makes good business sense. Would I love every company to give double the amount of deals and freebies? Yeah, for sure! Will they? Not if they want to stay in business and keep profits where they like them.

Dish has a very fair deal for current subs with more than one HD box or HD DVR's where Dish does allows for two HD DVR's for those customers. But that deal is for people who have made their investment in Dish Network by buying some of the HD boxes on their own and giving their hard-earned money to Charlie every month. So, in return, Ergan came up with a pretty generous (compared to other companies) two HD DVR upgrade for loyal customers who already invested in two Dish HD boxes.
Ask Direct TV if they will give you two HD DVR's. Let us know what they say. Perhaps some cable companies may provide two HD DVR's, while still providing many lousy analong channels for your enjoyment. And cable's monthly DVR fee is often more than twice Dish's.

Why is Dish so "chincy" or careful not to hand-out $500 receivers as if they were cheap candy? Because they would go out of business, or at least have to sell a money losing company with their acquisition costs out of control. Dish is under pressure to lower them, not increase them by handing out $1000 worth of HD DVR's to one account.

So, Dish welcomes you to purchase their 622 HD DVR at one of the many local reatilers or on-line at Dish Depot or The DishStore.net. Install the new unit. Then call Dish Network to activate your brand-new 2nd Dish 622 HD DVR. Problem solved. That's what everyone else does. Let us know where you find the best deal on a 622, so, when the time comes, we shop there too.

mike123abc said:
I drive 2 HDTVs off of one 622 right now. I have 2 622s, but I hate to have the issue of having to worry about where I recorded it. So, I have the HDMI used on the "local HD" TV and run the component out to the "remote HD" TV. This solution works pretty good. I am probably going to add a third HDTV. I will probably just feed it components off my existing 622s instead of getting another 622.

Another advantage of this system is that I can record 2 OTA HD at once... I have a feeling it will be a long time for my market (in the 140s) to get Dish HD locals. Besides OTA HD has great PQ.

I have one 622 and also use it with two HDTVs, but use "local" TV with component and run 30' HDMI cable to HDTV projector in the basement. It works the way I want and I don't see the need for another receiver. I sent my 211 back to Dish and saved $6/month.
To record another OTA HD feed (free of montly charges for renting another 622) I use DVICO Fusion USB HDTV tuner. PC is connected also to both "local" TV (component to second component input) and projector (DVI to HDMI cable). HDMI connections uses Monoprice HDMI switch.

I agree that in some ways, E* sucks.

But D* super sucks.

As Ross Perot might have said ... there is a giant sucking sound coming from the direction of El Segundo.

D* stinks too ... after all, it is Turd Bird TV.

Last edited:
Yes, as a current D* user, D* giving away their HD recorder is moot. D* only has like a hand full of HD channels. Totally unacceptable. And dont tell me D* will have tons of HD channels very soon. I have heard that rumor since 2003.

BTW, I Finally made a deal with dish. They are installing one 622 and one 625 next week for the $199 upfront. They were going to charge me another $99 for the 625 but dropped that. I'm wondering if dish will tack that $99 onto the first bill anyway?

Everything was verbal so I have no proof as to what dish agreed to. But at least I get basically what I wanted. Two dvr's and HD. I'm excited!

VinceT3 said:
I've been using HDMI on both my boxes for about 4-5 months now and (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues yet. :)

That's what I thought 2 weeks ago. My HDMI went out last week after working since May. I know it's a mechanical problem since the video went on and off with my footsteps, by pushing on the cabinet and jiggling the connector. It worked like that for almost a week. Then it quit completely. I called dish and tech support says it's software and they don't know when it will be fixed. Could someone please tell me how software problems could go on and off when I jiggle the connector? They just refuse to address the issue. I sent for a new DVI/HDMI cable from Monoprice since I couldn't prove to them that it wasn't my cable/adaptor that was bad. If the new cable doesn't resolve the problem I will write to ceo@echostar.com. Maybe they will listen to reason. :mad:

Update: I received and installed the new HDMI/DVI cable from Monoprice to eliminate the possibility of a bad cable/adaptor. Still no picture from the HDMI connector. I called dish back to try another csr before emailing ceo. This time a got a very helpful gal who is sending me out a replacement 622.

Last edited:
Will e* negotiate the 99$ hd upgrade fee for a 211 over the phone with exsisting customers? Also does anyone know if they will let you install your own dish? I assume that if you have a dish 500 you need a 300 to get 61.5. I just want to have my stuff together before having to put up with the experts in cust serv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)