Why is Dishanywhere so SmALL

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
When I watch Dishanywhere.com on my Win 10 PC with a 32" monitor, I get maybe a 10" picture. I can increase Dishanywhere to full screen but the content remains small.
How can I increase the image size to fill the DA box?

When I watch Dishanywhere.com on my Win 10 PC with a 32" monitor, I get maybe a 10" picture. I can increase Dishanywhere to full screen but the content remains small.

What browser are you using? I just tried it with Internet Explorer and you can full screen Live TV and it looks good.

Try double-clicking on the image, not the resize buttons. For me, that takes the image to full screen without controls. (Mac OS, Safari)

Make sure you're using the "Full Screen" icon on the DA top bar, the "double arrow" one, and not the window full screen "box" next to the 'X".

I just loaded up in Chrome and after the Slingplayer loaded up with the smaller screen, I simply double clicked on that screen and immediately went to full screen on my 27" monitor...

Double clicking did make it big difference but didn't get to full screen. I used the Windows maximize box and not the double arrow. Tomorrow I will try your suggestions.
It did act like it was full screen making the fast forward and other controls inaccessible.
I also got a random veriety of image sizes at different times.

Yes, with any browser, double clicking inside the active video window expands it to full size.

One reason that the video might not take up the whole screen is the aspect ratio of your PC monitor. Is it 16:9? For example, the aspect ratio of my PC monitor is 16:10. When I expand Dish Anywhere to full screen, there are black bars across the top and bottom of the screen. That is normal for a 16:10 aspect ratio.

Yes, with any browser, double clicking inside the active video window expands it to full size.

One reason that the video might not take up the whole screen is the aspect ratio of your PC monitor. Is it 16:9? For example, the aspect ratio of my PC monitor is 16:10. When I expand Dish Anywhere to full screen, there are black bars across the top and bottom of the screen. That is normal for a 16:10 aspect ratio.

I understand that. I have black bars on all 4 sides, left and right being the largest.

STB set to letterbox?

Well I tried all of your suggestions. I get no more than about a 16" image on my 32" screen.
It's watchable but not what I would expect from Dish.
No the Hopper isn't set to letterbox. At least not when I am watching the primary set connected by HDMI.

I wonder if DA has the perception of a band width limitation. I have the computer connected to a Netgear gigabit WiFi Router which is connected to the cable modem (50 Mb down 5 Mb up), then I have an 8 port Netgear Gigabit Switch connecting my TiVo equipment and a second Gigabit switch near the Hopper. The Hopper is then connected to the second switch.

Pure gigabit network connected to a 50/5 Internet connection, should be no issue getting full speed on any connected device. Is your computer connected with wire or WiFi , and if WiFi how fast is that?

Do you have the latest version of the Dish Anywhere Desktop (v1.1.0.384), and Dish Anywhere Video Player (v2.29.3)? Are the video drivers on your PC up to date?

On my PCs, double clicking inside the active video window expands it to full size. For 4:3 material, the video should expand to fill the screen vertically with black bars on the sides. For HD material, the video should expand to fill the entire screen (for a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor), or it should expand to fill the screen horizontally with black bars on the top and bottom (for a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor).

Everything is now wired Ethernet, mixed cat 5e or cat 6. Everything but the cable modem is less than 6 months old.
I did a fresh Win 10 install about 2 months ago. My video card is about 7 years old, nVidea GTX 9560 which was a high end card once. I will double check the driver but I am pretty sure it was up to date when I installed Win 10.
Most of what I am watching is standard definition recordings. I usually record standard since I have about 1100 recordings on the puny hard drive in my HWS and it seldom gets below 98% full.

That reminds me the Hopper 4 needs to have at least an 8 TB hard drive and better integration of external hard drives.

Since you are watching SD channels could it be that those channels are letter boxing their HD channel to the SD channel which would give you black bars all around the picture?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts