Why is Sat night ESPN2 game "not available in your area"?

bgee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Albany NY
When I try to set up a recording for Sat night ESPN2 college fb game, it says "program not available for viewing in your area". Huh? What's going on here? I believe the game is Texas v Texas Tech.

There are two games on Sat night...one is on local ABC and the other is on ESPN2

According to maps, you get ND & Mich state on ABC and Texas/TT is on ESPN2 so make sure the TT game is what shows in the guide if you want that game

Mine on ESPN2 still says either Notre Dame - Michigan State OR TTech - Texas when the Texas game is on ABC and ABC's schedule now shows that. They've been even later than usual updating the ESPN/ABC college games this week so check it later and see if it's changed. There's no reason it should be blacked out in your area.

here is the map

100918_8pm.jpg

I noticed the other week that ESPN2 was also blacked-out for me but the game could be seen on one of the ESPN ALT channels instead.

Interesting that South Florida is grouped with the Northeast and the Midwest.

Saw that, wonder if it's because of the Miami-Notre Dame history or just that ND is a bigger drawing card and Miami's a big market?

I've seen the same type of isolation in other places in the past. Also curious as to the reasons.

Here is a link for coverage maps for those who want to see what game is where on the espn family of networks. it comes out on thursday afternoon i believe. good link to have in your bookmarks.

http:// sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=coveragemaps2010

take out the space after // , for some reason it thinks this link is a movie?

So can anyone explain why both ABC and ESPN2 had Notre Dame v Mich State here? Shouldn't ESPN2 carry the game that ABC DOESN'T cover?

Last edited:
Stupid CS Reps

Last night I, too, received the dreaded "not available in your area" notification. I called dish and some nitwit cs rep informed me that because the Notre Dame game was not a "sellout" it would be blacked out in the Chicago market. I ended up going to a sports bar and watched the game on Direct TV. This AM I called dish and asked for a supervisor and he, too, informed me that a blackout happened because it wasn't a sellout. I have looked at the coverage map in this thread and still have no idea why a blackout happened. Any ideas????????????? And, can all of the CS reps at Dish REALLY be this stupid??????

Last night I, too, received the dreaded "not available in your area" notification. I called dish and some nitwit cs rep informed me that because the Notre Dame game was not a "sellout" it would be blacked out in the Chicago market. I ended up going to a sports bar and watched the game on Direct TV. This AM I called dish and asked for a supervisor and he, too, informed me that a blackout happened because it wasn't a sellout. I have looked at the coverage map in this thread and still have no idea why a blackout happened. Any ideas????????????? And, can all of the CS reps at Dish REALLY be this stupid??????

It is not Dish's fault or decision to blackout certain games on certain rules. Each Provider has rules to follow as to what games and on what channels blackouts are on.

If you have ever been to Miami you would understand the choice of Michigan/ND. Not a whole lot of Texans down there.

It has NOTHING to do with sellouts. That is an NFL rule.

If it is on ABC, it will be blacked out on ESPN2. If it is is not on your regular ESPN2, CHECK YOUR ALTERNATE ESPN2 CHANNELS or YOUR LOCAL ABC CHANNEL.

It is that simple. (Now sometimes ABC changes the local game at the last minute and dish blacks out the game you are not getting. I wish they would work with Dish and DirecTV to switch the blackout if that happens.)

The map says that Notre Dame/MSU was on ABC in Chicago and the small print down in the lower right corner says that ESPN2 had the other game. ND/MSU would have been blacked out on ESPN2 in Chicago. As for CS Reps at Dish - Yes. I have to explain blackout rules to them all the time. They don't understand them one bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)