Why is Sat night ESPN2 game "not available in your area"?

So if ESPN2 carried the same game as ABC at my location, was that ESPN2's screw up or Dish's screw up?

Last edited:
neither

ESPN can only select one of the two games to be shown on ESPN2. Since its a nationwide network, they cant fine tune it for each market. Its all or nothing. Hence the alt channel comes into play

ABC can fine tune what game you see since its local.

So lets say there is 2 games...A & B. ESPN2 says "we are going to show game B on ESPN2 and game A on the alt channel"...ABC then says "OK this part of the country gets game A and this part gets game B"....some folks get both in HD and some don't...it all depends on what game is shown where

This has been going on (reverse mirroring) for what 3-4 years now? Use to be you got one game and that was it. The other game you had to pay for via game plan.

Basically ESPN/ABC publishes coverage maps and ESPN/Dish/DirecTV bases the blackouts on these. If local ABC changes after this, then you are screwed. (or might be able to find it on ESPN3, but that might be blacked out too.)

I got the Texas vs Texas Tech game on ESPN2. Also, the NASCRAP race was, in fact, shown to the Chicago audience on Saturday night. Now, what type of NASCRAP race is up for discussion. Is it possible to purchase a college game thru Gameday on a selective basis. I don't think that I would like to purchase for the whole season, just for times like this when a blackout happens.

You have your weeks mixed up

NASCAR race was yesterday at noon on ESPN
The previous race was at night on ABC but there was no cfb to go against

What confused me is that ihaveabeer earlier reported getting Texas v Texas Tech on ESPN2 where he lives. I assume he is mistaken.
well considering he is claiming a NASCAR race was on this past Saturday night when there wasnt probably solidifies the mistaken part ;)

...some nitwit cs rep informed me that because the Notre Dame game was not a "sellout" it would be blacked out...
supervisor ...he, too, informed me that a blackout happened because it wasn't a sellout.

A red flag immediately should have gone up if someone claims a game that includes Notre Dame is not a sellout -- home or away.

The game at Michigan State was indeed a sellout (Official attendance was 78,411)

FYI

<blank> - University of Notre Dame Official Athletics Site

• Notre Dame has played before a sellout in 74 of its last 85 road games.
  • In fact, the Irish have played in front of sellout crowds in 220 of their previous 254 games, including 95 of their last 106 dating back to the 2001 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl (the '01, '03, '05 and '07 games at Stanford, the '04 game vs. Navy at the Meadowlands, the '05 and '08 games at Washington, the '07 game at UCLA, the '08 Hawai'i Bowl and the '09 games at Purdue and in San Antonio against Washington State were not sellouts).

But the Tex/TT was in SD only, not HD - there's no ESPN ALt HD channel yet.

That sucks, but it is like that every week. Only the main ESPN2 channel is HD. Solution - Get really high speed, hook computer up to TV and watch over ESPN3. It is in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts