Why is the 622 retarded?

AekaGSR

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
There are a couple of things I can't figure out about this thing. Either I'm dumb and there is a solution, or these are things that need to be worked out.

1. I have no control over which tuner it decides to record on. Is there an ability where I could tell it to record programs ONLY on one tuner, or give me the option to change which tuner it will record on. I understand this could introduce scheduling conflicts but at least I should get an override ability with a notice that another program may not record.

2. Is there a quick way to cancel a recording during the on screen count down before the channel change happens? Hitting the cancel button only removes the visual counter. I am not always able to get to the menu in time to cancel what is coming up since I have to guess at what is about to record. This can be a real bummer if I don't catch it in time because I may be watching a program 15 mins delayed, then I get bumped to live time missing half of my program. Makes me want to destroy the unit because I was trying to watch Family guy but the wife had The Bachelorett or some crap on a time event.

3. When watching a live program that is also currently being recorded I sometimes will pause it for minutes at a time. This really sucks if you forget you want to watch the next program on the same channel, because once you are done watching the delayed recording you get thrown into live mode, half way through the next show and no way to back up as it was not buffered.

These issues have trashed viewing experiences for my wife and I.:(

1. You can use the Record Plus feature (menu-8-6 I think) to set the default tuner for timed events. Otherwise it defaults to the tuner it was set up on.

2. Hit the Select button and it will show you options, including cancel.

3. Yep, that's annoying. But since that feature is for "live" TV, if you're watching the recorded program, there's not really anything "live" going on. If it's something you really want to watch, set a timer and record it too.

There are a couple of things I can't figure out about this thing. Either I'm dumb and there is a solution, or these are things that need to be worked out.

1. I have no control over which tuner it decides to record on. Is there an ability where I could tell it to record programs ONLY on one tuner, or give me the option to change which tuner it will record on. I understand this could introduce scheduling conflicts but at least I should get an override ability with a notice that another program may not record.

2. Is there a quick way to cancel a recording during the on screen count down before the channel change happens? Hitting the cancel button only removes the visual counter. I am not always able to get to the menu in time to cancel what is coming up since I have to guess at what is about to record. This can be a real bummer if I don't catch it in time because I may be watching a program 15 mins delayed, then I get bumped to live time missing half of my program. Makes me want to destroy the unit because I was trying to watch Family guy but the wife had The Bachelorett or some crap on a time event.

3. When watching a live program that is also currently being recorded I sometimes will pause it for minutes at a time. This really sucks if you forget you want to watch the next program on the same channel, because once you are done watching the delayed recording you get thrown into live mode, half way through the next show and no way to back up as it was not buffered.

Have you read the manual? It's pretty comprehensive and would probably answer a lot of questions. Like anything it's a learning curve and the more you know.........:D

Perhaps, a work around? You could run in single mode and tune to the same channel on TV2 to keep a running buffer. Once you've finished your recorded show, hit swap to go to TV2 and then back up.

Wonko is a much nicer person than me apparently. A better subject header might be "Help-New 622 Owner!" or "A few questions about the 622."

The 622 is a machine. It's only as retarded as it's operator. Point 3 is slightly annoying, but Point 1 and 2 is just user ignorance

Knowing this behavior now:

If you want to watch something that is also being recorded, immediately go to the DVR list and select to VIEW the recording. This way when you press PAUSE you will not be thrown out of the show when the recording ends since you are watching the recording.

Knowing this behavior now:

If you want to watch something that is also being recorded, immediately go to the DVR list and select to VIEW the recording. This way when you press PAUSE you will not be thrown out of the show when the recording ends since you are watching the recording.
I think Point #3 was that it would be nice that the DVR buffered what immediately follows what's being recorded for the channel that is on the tuner...presuming you dont have another two recordings happening on diff channels immediately following..ie you're watching Bones at 8pm (and recording it), you're not quite live because you've paused a bit during the show. you fast forward through some commercials to catch up, but you dont quite catch up to live before 9pm. You're planning on watching House at 9pm, but you dont catch up to the end of Bones till 9:05...you miss out on the first 5 mins of House unless you've also recorded it...it would be nice if the dvr was buffering two channels while you're watching a recorded one so that you could rewind to the beginning of House...

I think Point #3 was that it would be nice that the DVR buffered what immediately follows what's being recorded for the channel that is on the tuner...presuming you dont have another two recordings happening on diff channels immediately following..ie you're watching Bones at 8pm (and recording it), you're not quite live because you've paused a bit during the show. you fast forward through some commercials to catch up, but you dont quite catch up to live before 9pm. You're planning on watching House at 9pm, but you dont catch up to the end of Bones till 9:05...you miss out on the first 5 mins of House unless you've also recorded it...it would be nice if the dvr was buffering two channels while you're watching a recorded one so that you could rewind to the beginning of House...
Ah, ok. Gotcha. You would just need to make sure your other tuner was tuned to the same channel and then PIP-Swap to it when done watching your recording. If you don't want to back up, pause your recording and PIP to the other tuner, put it on pause and flip back to your recording. Then when your recorded show is done, PIP-Swap to the paused tuner and forward to your next show.

thanks for the info. Ive done a few of the methods for #3 before (i run dual tv mode), but it seems to me that this is a major flaw and I should not have to do anything, it should always be rolling a buffer up to "live" My old Tivo would do this.

As far is #1 I've taken the advice given and turned the active stuff off and re programmed the timers on each tv, it would be nice if there was a drop down menu for each timer where I can change what tuner it is using on the fly If I want to make changes instead of having to wipe things clean or be stuck with my initial choices. Juggling my wifes recordings and mine doesn't give me the liberty of which tv I can sit down at. I guess the only real solution is to get a second 622 or greater and run them in single mode. Anyone know what the initial costs are to rent a second unit If I install it myself?

#2 I was just an idiot.

thanks for the info. I've done a few of the methods for #3 before (i run dual tv mode), but it seems to me that this is a major flaw and I should not have to do anything, it should always be rolling a buffer up to "live"
I wouldn't call it a major flaw, but it is a quirk in the programming that since the channel is recording, the recording is the buffer and when you watch the channel being recorded it won't begin buffering the programming following the recorded show until you actually go to that program. Pausing the recording while actually viewing the channel being recorded prevents buffering since the recording is the buffer...

OK, there is one thing I wish were different with all receivers: when you search for a title or theme, the results show all channels including ones I don't subscribe to. For example, I searched for 'premiere' under the Movies subcategory and get 500+ results. I wish I could limit the search to subscribed channels only. Is it possible?

I wouldn't call it a major flaw, but it is a quirk in the programming that since the channel is recording, the recording is the buffer and when you watch the channel being recorded it won't begin buffering the programming following the recorded show until you actually go to that program. Pausing the recording while actually viewing the channel being recorded prevents buffering since the recording is the buffer...
IMHO This is a logical flaw with the 622's software that requires way too much user knowledge of both how the 622 works and whether the show being paused, is also being recorded.

IIRC when a user hits pause while watching "live TV" that also happens to be being recorded --- there is no warning that says...

"OBTW you know that you are actually watching a time delayed recording and not really 'live TV'. So when you get to the end of this recording you will immediately jump into the present and loose the ability so see anything that occurred on this channel in that time gap, unless of course you continue to record everything on this channel you could possible want to watch for the foreseeable contiguous future. or know way more than most folks about how PiP and Swap works." :rolleyes:

OTOH the 622 could check to see if one of the other turners was available for that channel and automatically switch to it (ala Pip&Swap). After all, the 622 does this for recordings. Why can't it do this for 'live TV' that is being recorded and paused?

Talon Dancer

As far is #1 I've taken the advice given and turned the active stuff off and re programmed the timers on each tv, it would be nice if there was a drop down menu for each timer where I can change what tuner it is using on the fly If I want to make changes instead of having to wipe things clean or be stuck with my initial choices. Juggling my wifes recordings and mine doesn't give me the liberty of which tv I can sit down at.

I will agree with this. Though it can be worked around, it is painful to do. Problem is, I watch all my TV in my Basement where TV1 is and the wife watches a lot of stuff upstairs on TV2 as she does not want the little one destroying the basement (I appreciate that as well as well all know, HT equipment is not cheap!!:rolleyes:). Problem arises because I always default to TV2 to record any shows (so it doesn't interupt my sports of course), so she gets ticked if she just so happens to want to watch something while I have something is recording (needless to say, she has no problem finding the cancel button and ending my event). I wish you had the option to default to a TV like it is currently set up, but then to go in and swap an individual event from TV2 to TV1 or vice versa from the guide/recording schedule (even if it was only possible before the event), and then without having to delete the event, change the default, readd the event, and then set the default back. Even thinking about trying to explain to her how to do it is mind numbing.

Ah, ok. Gotcha. You would just need to make sure your other tuner was tuned to the same channel and then PIP-Swap to it when done watching your recording. If you don't want to back up, pause your recording and PIP to the other tuner, put it on pause and flip back to your recording. Then when your recorded show is done, PIP-Swap to the paused tuner and forward to your next show.
Yeah, that's what I do whenever possible, but sometimes it just isnt feasible, especially if I am not aware in advance of what my future viewing is going to be.

OK, there is one thing I wish were different with all receivers: when you search for a title or theme, the results show all channels including ones I don't subscribe to. For example, I searched for 'premiere' under the Movies subcategory and get 500+ results. I wish I could limit the search to subscribed channels only. Is it possible?

Go into locks, then channel locks - highlight the channels you do not want to see. Lock system with hide locked enabled. Those channels will not show in any guide, themes or searches.

..........OTOH the 622 could check to see if one of the other turners was available for that channel and automatically switch to it (ala Pip&Swap). After all, the 622 does this for recordings. Why can't it do this for 'live TV' that is being recorded and paused?

Talon Dancer

Maybe because it would violate a Tivo patent? ;)

Go into locks, then channel locks - highlight the channels you do not want to see. Lock system with hide locked enabled. Those channels will not show in any guide, themes or searches.

Thanks! I've read a lot about removing locks in these forums and always wondered what they were good for. Always just associated them with keeping the kiddies safe...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)