Why is the OTA module tuner so weak?

I don't know about less power for a sub channel than the main channel. I think he means the entire channel and it's subs are at lower power. After the Hurricanes in 05 and 08, Channel 6 moved to a lower power status. For a long time I could only get 75 strength and in some areas that were in our dma couldn't receive it ota. I think he is referring to that. I think that the hopper usb ota tuner measures the strength differently than the Vip ota module does. I get 100 strength for the most part on my hopper for this channel ,but my tv tuner measures it a little less than that. So I am not sure that the hopper tuner is measuring it correctly and just rounding up? OF course I am using a amplified distribution box to power the ota to all my tvs that need it too, so that might be why my tuner sees it at 100. At my mom and Dads house the same amp doesn't seem to make a difference.

I thought that all local channels that DISH uplinks were using pop and fiber links to the uplink centers for the satellites and not ota anymore. Either way it is now working right for the CW. I just hope that the new antenna I get today , will fix the reception problems for channel 6 CBS.

How can you tell if the broadcaster is changing the bandwidth between their channels?
You need some kind of analyzer and an ATSC card in a PC. I've used TSReader on my old PC, I don't have one on my new PC. Each OTA signal is limited to 19.39 (I think that's right) Mbps. Every subchannel takes away from the bandwidth of the "main" channel. Encoders now do "stat muxes" which will compare what the signal actually is and do a "live" adjustment (a static picture in a drama doesn't need as much bandwidth as a basketball game). However, the broadcaster is probably setting minimums for each of their signals. As encoders get better, they can compress the signals better and what once required 15Mbps can now be done in 10-11 (or less).

Reactions: charlesrshell
I thought that all local channels that DISH uplinks were using pop and fiber links to the uplink centers for the satellites and not ota anymore.
Speaking of my market only, DISH receives all local stations OTA, then fibers them to Colorado. Direct gets all but one OTA then fibers out (they are located at one local broadcaster, so they have a direct feed).

The OTA that Dish has does not have a AGC circuit. It also has no multi path rejection. This tuner works good on weaker signals but does not perform well on strong signals. A new antenna might not solve the issue

Let us hope the brand of the new antenna does not begin with "T."
IT doesn't. It is a 1byone digital amplified out door/attic hdtv 70 miles range with supply box for uhf and vhf band. I got it from Amazon and I hope this extra range will fix the problems. The terk 44 clip on works for about 25 miles out , which is within the range for all our broadcasting towers in this area. But for some reason not at my dad's house about 3 miles from where I live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)