Why is there nothing on Dish's new internet offering?

At the show they had no real details to share since the deal was just signed shortly before the CES press event started. The couldn't and wouldn't comment more other then what the press release said.

Alert Her Majesty's Navy! Thar sails the Dread Pirate Watchel1.

I know you're joking, but this generalization that the big corps are trying to make in stating that only people that are doing illegal things are downloading a lot of things is the reason why they are getting away with ridiculous caps (at least on landline Internet.) Believe it or not there are perfectly legal things you can do that can use lots of data, such as legal HD movie downloads/streaming, legal game downloads (Steam,) downloading Linux distros, Windows betas, patches, VPN, free software, the list goes on.

I have purchased over 250 games on Steam. Some games, such as Total War Shogun 2, weigh in at over 18GB on their own. I could easily download my whole catalog on steam and use probably 2TB.

I know you're joking, but this generalization that the big corps are trying to make in stating that only people that are doing illegal things are downloading a lot of things is the reason why they are getting away with ridiculous caps (at least on landline Internet.) Believe it or not there are perfectly legal things you can do that can use lots of data, such as legal HD movie downloads/streaming, legal game downloads (Steam,) downloading Linux distros, Windows betas, patches, VPN, free software, the list goes on.

I have purchased over 250 games on Steam. Some games, such as Total War Shogun 2, weigh in at over 18GB on their own. I could easily download my whole catalog on steam and use probably 2TB.
Liked and double-liked. I use at least 1GB/day just VPN-ing into work.

How long did that take, overall. At 29GB/day, it would take about 68 days for 2TB. I'm just sayin'. (BTW, I hate data caps, too.)

Liked and double-liked. I use at least 1GB/day just VPN-ing into work.
We probably use more than that in our household between VPN, downloads, surfing, and streaming. Then again, we got this:
1707079988.png

We probably use more than that in our household between VPN, downloads, surfing, and streaming. Then again, we got this:
1707079988.png
Oh, we use much more than 1GB/day...that 1GB I mentioned was ONLY from the VPN traffic. This is plenty for us:

How long did that take, overall. At 29GB/day, it would take about 68 days for 2TB. I'm just sayin'. (BTW, I hate data caps, too.)

Well of course I don't download it all at once, but just clarifying that consuming large amounts of data doesn't automatically mean that you are pirating. My connection can do 2.7 MB/Sec. 1 TB = 1048576 MB. 2 * 1048576 MB = 2097152 MB. 2097152 MB / 2.7 = 776722.962962963 seconds. 776722.962962963 / 60 = 12945.38271604938 minutes. 12945.38271604938 / 60 = 215.756378600823 hours. 215.756378600823 / 24 = 8.989849108367627 days.

So theoretically I could do 2TB in 9 days, if I go full throttle.

By the way, those speedtest.net results are most likely skewed by Comcast's PowerBoost. You will get the real number from a site such as testmy.net. Without doubt it will be a lower number. Unless you are in fact paying $370 a month for Internet. In which case wow. Luckily, you are on Comcast Business which is uncapped. I have U-verse 24/3 for $65 a month, which is also uncapped (for now.) As soon as U-verse gets caps I'm going with Charter Business. Charter Business is pricier though, but no way am I going with a 250GB cap like Comcast residential or Charter residential. Though, Charter's faster tiers have a 500GB cap. Comcast is 250GB only, no matter how fast you go. They offer 100Mbps with a 250GB cap. So one could blow through their cap in less than 6 hours and STILL pay a crapload of money. GG Comcast.

By the way, those speedtest.net results are most likely skewed by Comcast's PowerBoost. You will get the real number from a site such as testmy.net.
Mine still showed as 17.7 Mbps on testmy.net as well. Consistent results.

Mine still showed as 17.7 Mbps on testmy.net as well. Consistent results.

That just means that your particular results were not skewed on speedtest.net by PowerBoost. Does not mean that everyone on Comcast has the same results. I was referring to GaryPen's results.

That just means that your particular results were not skewed on speedtest.net by PowerBoost. Does not mean that everyone on Comcast has the same results. I was referring to GaryPen's results.
I realize you were, I was just verifying that my numbers weren't skewed...for my own curiosity.

Has anyone called up the ViaSat phone number today and tried to order their Excede service? I was told that customers can start calling them today to arrange for installations. The map I saw was that pretty much any one East of the Mississippi and a couple hundred miles West of it can have service today. Anyone else will have to wait for some more capacity to come online.

Home | fast and affordable Satellite Broadband | Think FAST

i should be on dish internet as of today. centurylink delivered a new modem or something yesterday and the dish instructions said do not connect it up before 5pm yesterday but the internet is still working on my dsl modem that i have been using for years now on the qwest service. i didn't even open the package from centurylink because the dish rep that i talked to on switching from qwest to dish indicated that my modem likely would continue working and i would not need the new one. i signed up for the slowest dish network speed on internet and it is faster now than my higher speed qwest service. hmmmm. charlie

I use wildblue and have for years not by choice but because its this or dial up and I dont believe you are being quite truthful. I do not use any streaming of movies at all and MAYBE a youtube short video or two a month and NO bigger downloads in fact I stray away from downloading much of anything so I go to my moms home to download my windows updates to thumbdrive and I am on the pro plan and run about 50 to 60 percent of my 17gb download limit and before you sprout the same thing every one that is connected to wildblue NO I do not have a bug in my system I run extra firewall virus and run 2 spyware programs weekly and my network is on lock down. It is me that uses the net. NO kids and hubby dont use it cause he just gets mad since he has to watch so many things to keep from getting fapped. Once you go over your usage you get shut down until you are at 70% of the allotted usage your on. And they dont tell you you dont get the FULL amount they promise you to use like with me my download limit is 17gb but I get FAPPED before I use it. I only get to use 70% of the 17GB cause if you go over you can hang it up getting online other then during LATE night cause everything will time out before it opens.
I really dont know how legally they get away some of this especially promising a certain amount of usage and slowing you internet speed down to an unusable speed for only using 70% of what they promises and are under contract for. OHHHH and that is another thing they will change the contract as the please when they please, and customer service makes up new rules and will tell you something different each time you call. Other words they do what they want

track usage all you want but even if you show a smaller amount then they say you use they say your way of doing it is wrong and you went over and your out of luck

It would be cool if they used something similar to rollover minutes. I know in summer months I use a third of what I do during the winter months. But if I had to have this I would have to pay for winter type usage all the time. Of course I could adjust my plan but that would stink. I dunno. If you guys are listening at DISH, push for rollover GB's in the deal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)