Why isn't ESPN Deportes in the Top 180 package?

TNGTony said:
I just found out that AT180 will carry ESPN Deportes! Starting next week in MAY! The AT180 price will be increased by $12.49 and quite a few extra channels added to the package as well! It will be called the AT180 Latino Bonus Pack! This way every single AT180 pack subscriber can enjoy the one channel that Mr. Crowley wants in his AT180 pack! Isn't that great?

Well that was informative and thought out. Thanks :rolleyes:

Slamminc11 said:
please, like we need another ESPN channel to sip over while we flip channels!

Why not. Hell, I'd be willing to trade ESPN U for ESPN Deportes :devil:

RandallA said:
The message is: ESPN Deportes is a spanish channel therefore it belongs in the Dish Latino Package. If you don't want to pay for it then though luck!

So by that logic all of the other spanish channels currently in the 60, 120, 180 levels should also be moved to the Latino package and not be available in any other package. I doubt that would ever happen.

Mr_Crowley said:
...Why not. Hell, I'd be willing to trade ESPN U for ESPN Deportes :devil: ...

Okay, well there is one out of 12+ million!!!!!!! That should be enough to convince those at Dish to change it!

ESPN Desportes is treated like ESPN, that's why it would cost around $3+ more if added to the AT180.

ESPN was removed from the basic Latin pak when Desportes was added and kept the same price, or the price would of gone up and pissed off alot of people.

RandallA said:
"The message Dish is giving customers is - if your not Spanish and you love football, you don't matter. "

The message is: ESPN Deportes is a spanish channel therefore it belongs in the Dish Latino Package. If you don't want to pay for it then though luck!

There is no such message.

Here in America, watching futbol in Spanish is part of the futbol-viewing culture. Remember all the World Cups in Univison/SIN and all the screaming of "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool"?

roachxp said:
ESPN Desportes is treated like ESPN, that's why it would cost around $3+ more if added to the AT180.

ESPN was removed from the basic Latin pak when Desportes was added and kept the same price, or the price would of gone up and pissed off alot of people.

There is no way ESPN charges the same price for ESPN Deportes as they do for their main ESPN channel. If anything it probably costs 1/10 the price. If that.

On a sidenote,

I can't believe the MLS afternoon games on ESPN are NOT in HD. Are they freakin' kidding me? I just got my HD setup a month ago and I thought for sure I'd get to see this one along with the one on HDNet in HD, but no...only HDNet. One is better than none I guess.

Come on ESPN, all your live broadcasts should be HD!

james_k_p said:
On a sidenote,

I can't believe the MLS afternoon games on ESPN are NOT in HD. Are they freakin' kidding me? I just got my HD setup a month ago and I thought for sure I'd get to see this one along with the one on HDNet in HD, but no...only HDNet. One is better than none I guess.

Come on ESPN, all your live broadcasts should be HD!

might as well blame Dish, seems everyone else does about things like this! ;)

Mr_Crowley said:
Well it is Dish's fault not making channels available if they're already paying for them.

Dish IS making the channel available to anyone that wants it, but is your choice on whether you purchase the package it is being carried on, which apperantly you have chosen not to do. So how again is that Dish's fault?

Dish is now paying $$$ to carry Deportes in the spanish language package. They would have to pay $$$ + $$$ to carry it in the english language AT packages. They have decided that the added cost is not justified by the vanishingly small numbers of subscribers that want this channel in the AT packages. And I agree with them completely.

If you want the channel that badly, then subscribe to the appropriate spanish language package.

How about a different spin on this?

How about asking ESPN to carry a new channel devoted to world sports that'd have similar programming as ESPN Deportes but have the audio in English? That'd become a direct competitor to FSC and Gol TV and be a nice compliment to watch Champions League matches. My Dish Latino subs tend to watch Gol TV and ESPN Deportes before they'll tune into either Fox Sports en Espanol or FSC with a subscription to Dish Latino Dos or higher. The point is that Dish Latino subs don't watch as much FSC content, Premiership Soccer for example, as the AT180 subs do but I'm sure there are some Dish Latino subs that wished FSC was part of Dish Latino and not Dish Latino Dos like we do here.

My resolution if I was ESPN is that, there should be a new ESPN channel in English in the AT180 package that'd carry world sports that ESPN and ESPN2 currently don't carry. And it'd make perfect sense since World Cup 06 is just around the corner and it may spike enough soccer interest in the US to warrant a demand for such a channel.

Why do people still spread these misinformation about ESPN Deportes being on a Spanish package?

DISH LATINO MAX is NOT a Spanish package. IT A BI-LINGUAL PACKAGE!!!! In other words, all your frequently watched English cable channels are there: ESPN, TNT, A&E, CNN, Headline News, National Geographics, Lifetime, plus all the Fox RSN,....

No non-spanish speaking European soccer fan should get AT180 instead of Dish Latino Max, because

- the English channels are there
- ESPN Deportes is there; if you are a Euro soccer fan, there is no reason you don't want 8 Champions League games/Match Day.
- FSC, GolTV, Fox Sports en Espanol are there
- it's even $5 cheaper than AT180

I repeat, this package is an absolute must-have for non-spanish speakers who are crazy about the Champions League. That I mean Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Turkish, Russian immigrants in this country.

So, unless you tell me there is a channel that you absolutely must have that's on AT180 but not on DLM (e.g. NFL Network), I am not convinced that people really understand what Dish Latino Max offers...

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
My resolution if I was ESPN is that, there should be a new ESPN channel in English in the AT180 package that'd carry world sports that ESPN and ESPN2 currently don't carry. And it'd make perfect sense since World Cup 06 is just around the corner and it may spike enough soccer interest in the US to warrant a demand for such a channel.

That indeed would be the perfect solution. Makes too much sense though ;)

Mr_Crowley said:
That indeed would be the perfect solution. Makes too much sense though ;)

Makes very little sense. Why does ESPN want to get into that market? It only has a niche audience.

World Sports have been available in many forms: the old Fox Sports World, as well as the current Setanta Sports USA. They never managed to get out of the niche channel mode. If your argument is that "Champions League belongs to World Sports, I want it in English", then get Setanta Sports USA. All other major European soccer content: la Liga, Serie A , Premiership, Bundesliga, are available on other niche channels.

ESPN Deportes was created solely because it's using the same contents as ESPN Latin America. There is very little production cost overhead.

rangers00 said:
World Sports have been available in many forms: the old Fox Sports World, as well as the current Setanta Sports USA. They never managed to get out of the niche channel mode. If your argument is that "Champions League belongs to World Sports, I want it in English", then get Setanta Sports USA. All other major European soccer content: la Liga, Serie A , Premiership, Bundesliga, are available on other niche channels.

Huh? World Sports is a Voom channel. I have it now. As for Setanta Sports USA, it's not available at Dish. Maybe they'll add it. Maybe.

I can hope :D

Mr_Crowley said:
Huh? World Sports is a Voom channel. I have it now. As for Setanta Sports USA, it's not available at Dish. Maybe they'll add it. Maybe.

I can hope :D

Speaking of Setanta, here's another reply from Dish regarding it.

From: Winters, Natalie <Natalie.Winters@echostar.com> Mailed-By: echostar.com
To: EvilEuro
Date: Apr 27, 2006 8:11 AM
Subject: RE: Setanta Sports Channel

Dear EvilEuro,

Thank you for your email. Currently at this time we are speaking with Setanta Sports about carriage, but as of now we don’t have any definitive plans to launch the service.

Thank you,

Natalie Winters

Executive Office of Dish Network

-----------------------------------------------------

And thus I keep holding my breath hoping it'll happen.

Mr_Crowley said:

By "world sports", it means worldwide sports, not the Voom channel "WorldSports". ESPN has absolutely no reason to get into the worldwide sports market, i.e. rugby, aussie rules, gaelic, cricket, polo, handball, etc.

I also contacted Dish about Setanta Sports Channel and received the same answer. Hopefully well get it soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)