Why isn't FX in Top 60?

netsfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I just switched back from Cable to Dish, and I was wondering why FX isn't included in the Top 60 package. I was used to having it with basic regular cable, and I thought it was just a "normal" channel. Although Dish does have SciFi which regular cable did not. So I'm not really complaining. But just curious. :)

Because FX is one of the most expensive channels an operator can offer. News Corporation charges on average about $1.37 for that channel per subscriber. It is an expensive proposition to offer that channel in such a cheap package and maintain margins.

FX has high demand and commands a high price. It also requires operators to take on other channels as a condition of its carriage. Dish simply cannot give these away so FX must be placed in a higher package.

netsfan said:
I just switched back from Cable to Dish, and I was wondering why FX isn't included in the Top 60 package. I was used to having it with basic regular cable, and I thought it was just a "normal" channel.

First of all, didn't you look to see exactly WHAT you were getting in your AT60 package, BEFORE you signed up??? :confused:

IMO, AT60 is NOT that much of a substitute for "expanded basic" cable, which is where you'll normally find FX. ("basic cable" usually describes a cheap tier that usually includes local & PA channels, & hardly ANY "cable" channels, if any)

And on expanded basic cable, most systems carry the RSN(s) on expanded basic, while on DISH you have to get AT120. (or add your RSN to AT60 for an extra $5 a month)

This is why I always cringe when I see the all the DISH ads running on TV comparing AT60 to expanded basic cable - if you notice, almost a dozen of your AT60 channels are fricken SHOPPING channels, while another dozen are public affairs channels. Take those away & you should be able to figure out that AT60 is NOT really comparable to expanded basic cable, in many instances. (although I'm sure there ARE crappy systems where it DOES :eek: ) I go through this whenever new customers call & ask about AT60 - after I explain to them what they will NOT get channels such as our RSN's (we have TWO RSN(s) on expanded basic cable) & other channels like FX, Fox News, MSNBC, AMC, Bravo & others, AT60 doesn't seem like such a good deal after all.

Personally I'd never want the top60 because I watch so much tv on different channels, but at least its available. I took so many calls, mostly really old folks, who only watch locals and cnn or shopping channels only or some wierd combination and don't really need or watch much. I think its good that its a choice, but comparing to basic service from cox it stinks b/c cox gives fox news, oln, outdoor channel, fx, and others. but if you don't watch a lot, its still pretty good, especially for the unfortunate souls who don't like sports.

We have FX, Speed and Sci-Fi in addition to a shipload of other channels we actually watch on expanded basic cable. Funny thing is it's $5 less than what we were paying with Dish 60. At last count we also only had about 3 home shopping channels.

MustangLX89 said:
We have FX, Speed and Sci-Fi in addition to a shipload of other channels we actually watch on expanded basic cable. Funny thing is it's $5 less than what we were paying with Dish 60. At last count we also only had about 3 home shopping channels.

huh..I wish expanded basic in my area had these....

also, where do you live that expanded basic is only $25 a month? My mom has expanded basic and its almost $50

Iceberg said:
huh..I wish expanded basic in my area had these....

We get all these on expanded basic here as well - we now are up to 70 channels on eb & only 7 of those are shopping or PA channels. :D :p

also, where do you live that expanded basic is only $25 a month? My mom has expanded basic and its almost $50

Maybe where the cable guy forgets to put an expanded basic trap on someone's line who is only supposed to get basic. :D

I'm getting 4mbps of cable modem & expanded basic cable for $48 a month, so I guess I can't complain too much. ;) :D

where I live, Speed is on digital. FX and SCi-Fi are in the expanded. Heck, where my uncle lives Speed and FX arent an option at all

I am VERY surprised to learn that FX charges so much for their programming. I would have never dreamed that. I don't think I've watched a program on FX in two years. In fact, I don't have it on my favorites list, so I wouldn't even notice if it went away.

What's the big attraction on that channel?

That's a lot of money for this 2nd rate channel. I bet they charge so much for it because they make you bundle with other channels or something in a package deal.
They charge so much because they can I guess. Nascar and a couple of shows aren't worth that much IMO. I like watching Married With Children though.

I keep an eye on FX probably one of the top 10 channels I watch. The practice, and movies that are on at nights and weekends.

Roger said:
That's a lot of money for this 2nd rate channel. I bet they charge so much for it because they make you bundle with other channels or something in a package deal.
They charge so much because they can I guess. Nascar and a couple of shows aren't worth that much IMO. I like watching Married With Children though.

I guess that depends on what you consider "second rate", F/X is consistantly one of the top 10 cable channels.

TOP 10 AD-SUPPORTED CABLE NETWORKS
Adults 18-49
Week Ending June 19, 2005

Rank

1. TNT

2. USA

3. TBS

4. SPK

5. FX

6. LIF

7. DISC

8. SCIF

9. CMDY

10. FAM

* Network broadcasts less than 51% of minutes in a 24-hour day.
Source: Turner Entertainment Research based on data from Nielsen Media Research.

NightRyder

"I guess that depends on what you consider "second rate", F/X is consistantly one of the top 10 cable channels."

I guess but then look at the channels under it and they suck even more. A lot more.

Tom Bombadil said:
I am VERY surprised to learn that FX charges so much for their programming. I would have never dreamed that. I don't think I've watched a program on FX in two years. In fact, I don't have it on my favorites list, so I wouldn't even notice if it went away.

What's the big attraction on that channel?
I don't know what is so good about that channel. Most of it's programming is reruns of programs that were already on network TV that I have seen already. Plus, they have way too many commercial interruptions. They certainly aren't worth it.

If an operator wants highly coveted channels like FOx News, National Geographic, Fox Sports Net, Speed Channel they must pay the high cost of FX. I am sure retransmition consent is also in the contract for certain owned and operated FOX and UPN stations.

BTW FX has some of the best market demographics for advertisers
"
FX viewers are:
• 26% have 4+ years of college
• 45% white collar, professional, managers
• Have a median household income of $75,604
• 74% own a personal computer
• 50% own their home
• 70% access the internet

Demographics:
• 53% Male; 47% Female
• Primary Demo: A18-49 (69%)
• Secondary Demo: A25-54 (60%)
"

"BTW FX has some of the best market demographics for advertisers"

So charge the hell out of them not us.

"If an operator wants highly coveted channels like FOx News, National Geographic, Fox Sports Net, Speed Channel they must pay the high cost of FX. I am sure retransmition consent is also in the contract for certain owned and operated FOX and UPN stations."

This is the reason why we need a one network or channel owner law. This is extortion and racketeering IMO and is criminal.

Roger said:
So charge the hell out of them not us.

But "them" has to pay for all the overpriced channels you watch that "suck", so it pretty much evens out in the end. ;)

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)