Why Isn't This a Reality Yet?

Why don't you 'bet the farm', invest YOUR resources and develop/market this device on your own. You surely WOULD have an overwhelming customer demand.

I'm ok with people who make suggestions to better or advance a product/service.
But, pretending that YOUR grand a year is sufficient to invest in YOUR novel improvement, and to assume that everyone who pays 'over a thousand dollars a year' is as like minded as you,
Is just plain dillusional.

Please, I welcome you to form your own startup, and BET YOUR FARM.

I should add,
If you do develop it,
and I like its ergonomics,
And the price is acceptable to me,
I MIGHT buy one from you.

Then stick with your acceptance of mediocrity. The money comment was more tongue-in-cheek than anything but to prove a point that dish has PAYING customers they simply are not paying attention to. Not just for this wiz-bang device (that they obviously had Echostar develop, already exists, does work, the prototype cost has already been spent so it's not MY novel improvement, but theirs they were showing off) but for all the other problems many customers have been experiencing that still exist.

If I got their service for free then I'd keep my mouth shut and not voice my 'opinion' or comment on why they still can't fix simple problems. And if you read the other posts of mine you'll know I really do love Dish. They just need tough love to get them to realize they should sweat the small stuff to stay a leader and in business. The novel idea of the Hopper will only last so long in this day of on demand entertainment, streaming Internet content, mobile devices and so on.

I pay $130 a month and I really don't care if they spend any time on a wireless keyboard. To me it's a waste of time and resources right now. Why would I need a keyboard when I can just use my laptop, iPhone or iPad?

I can understand and respect your choice to do it this way but think about it for a second. What about their customers who don't have laptops or tablets? Or wireless? Or high speed Internet? Why should we need another computer device to do what people should be able to do from the device itself (or remote) EASILY. Keyboards are real cheap now. And if a customer doesn't want this convenience then no problem. They use the manual button pushes.

I know this kind of turned into a heated thread by some (not my intent), but the point is that this video showed many concepts that were beyond scratch pad ideas and I questioned why these cool features haven't been implemented yet. It wasn't just a working prototype for improved search. It showed so much more and obviously the base code is already written!! I believe the Dish OS is a modified form of Linux so the code to interface USB or Bluetooth keyboards has already been written by some 13 year old kid. If Dish doesn't have the vision to maximize their investment in Bluetooth technology then remove it and save money.

Do agree with you that they do need to focus on other things now, but a shame they did not just get some of this checked off the to do list years ago.

Voice is where it's at

Hopper search "Superman"

Nothing to type, nothing to touch just develop the hardware/software that listens for the command.

Then they REALLY need that funky remote! Need a microphone close by. Can you imagine having to shout across the room if a customer has the equipment far away or in an enclosed cabinet? "MOMMY! Daddy's screaming at the TV again!!" :director:

Then they REALLY need that funky remote! Need a microphone close by. Can you imagine having to shout across the room if a customer has the equipment far away or in an enclosed cabinet? "MOMMY! Daddy's screaming at the TV again!!" :director:

It would mostly just be software programming, and making a microphone work with the hopper. If it works for Xbox/Kinect then it could work for the Hopper but then again I've seen some really small microphones so they could just build one into the remotes.

Another route they could go is to build into the Dish Anywhere app where you speak into your cellphone or tablet and it sends the voice command to your Hopper to initiate the search function. However if you have a tablet or a smart phone it would just be easier to search the listings through that and set up any timers.

Another route they could go is to build into the Dish Anywhere app where you speak into your cellphone or tablet and it sends the voice command to your Hopper to initiate the search function. However if you have a tablet or a smart phone it would just be easier to search the listings through that and set up any timers.

Wasn't this actually demoed at CES earlier this month?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Wasn't this actually demoed at CES earlier this month?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It could have been demoed the only thing I really checked out with CES this year was the new Joeys & WWE Network. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet so I don't really pay to much attention to detail when it comes to the development of products for those outlets.

Edit: I guess they are working for some search by voice command functions for tablets. A quick google search brought up this from http://www.streamingmedia.com/Artic...rs-More-Tuners-Easier-Connectivity-94068.aspx

Dish is improving its interface, adding natural language voice search to its iPad app, and voice control and recommendations to the Hopper. Dish pointed out that the voice command system understands accents, an essential for its Boston guy spokespeople.

Last edited:
I think mobile devices are where the future is at with applications like this. The majority have them and there is so much more potential with them with programming vs. needing a hardware change to make improvements. It's cheaper, better and faster. They could open source it or offer a prize to the best app creators or have a contest or something.

Voice is where it's at

Hopper search "Superman"

Nothing to type, nothing to touch just develop the hardware/software that listens for the command.

Until you turn to your spouse and say something, and the TV goes haywire, trying to figure out the "command."

Until you turn to your spouse and say something, and the TV goes haywire, trying to figure out the "command."

Yup, I have a similar problem when using our xbox with knect for Netflix. It occasionally picks up words from the show or movie and starts doing it's own thing like stopping or fast forwarding. Really annoying. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yup, I have a similar problem when using our xbox with knect for Netflix. It occasionally picks up words from the show or movie and starts doing it's own thing like stopping or fast forwarding. Really annoying. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Feel lucky you don't own my TV set. It has "touch sensor buttons" vs. "real buttons" and if i have my TV over volume 30 any high pitch noise will turn the channel, bring up the menu or shut off the TV completely.
Some days I just want to take a baseball bat to it like Mick Foley recently did to his daughters TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)