Why No Book

jimw

Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Fredericksburg, Tx.
Well, I just took the dive and had a 922 installed in place of my 622. Install went smoothly, no hitches. Techs were great. BUT, there is no manual as there was with every receiver we've had since the 311. there's only a small 35 page 'Help Guide" which wasn't much "help". Is this another of Charlie's better ideas?

Jim

Have you not bought anything in the last few years? lol.. Virtually anything I buy now of any value has an online manual, (As dish receivers do) and/or a CD that comes with it. All I ever see now is a very basic paper manual..... My audio receiver, LCD TV, Digital camera, monitoring cameras, you name it, they all had minimal manuals (or none) but decent online ones. And yes, I think this is one of his better ideas....

OK. Thanks guys & yes it's been a few years sice I have gotten much new stuff. Being retired and on fixed income I don't have the luxuries I once did. Anyway, my bad. I'll try the menu way. Y'all are the best.

Semper Fi, Jim.

Most companies don't include a thick paper manual with devices these days because a) they cost money to produce (a writer has to actually write and produce the pictures, etc) b) they cost money to print c) most people don't read them and d) software updates usually render them inaccurate before the device even makes it to the consumer

Not so long ago you used to get a manual for the OS of your new computer. Now you have the F1 key and online help. It is the same way with modern receivers. Except taht you don't even get an f1 key.

Have you not bought anything in the last few years? lol.. Virtually anything I buy now of any value has an online manual, (As dish receivers do) and/or a CD that comes with it. All I ever see now is a very basic paper manual..... My audio receiver, LCD TV, Digital camera, monitoring cameras, you name it, they all had minimal manuals (or none) but decent online ones. And yes, I think this is one of his better ideas....
Not entirely true. Recently I have bought several BDP's, LCD TV's, Receivers for me and other installs and they all have had great printed documentation. I did find that a couple of these devices had no online docs at all which I usually like to look through before purchasing.

This is a laugh, I bought a Pentax camera, downloaded the manual and printed, and printed, and printed, must have been 300 pages! Good lesson, never again! Best to use the menu. T.M.I.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts