Why no Columbus OH WBNS (CBS Ch 10) HD (and PBS too)?

cgtyoder

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Ohio
The title says it all... Don't get me wrong, I very happy that I finally have NBC, ABC and FOX - but completeness is even better. Is this because of the Viacom issues? If so, then why no PBS in HD?

Oh, and Scott please don't merge this thread with the big 4/1 thread - it will get buried with 1000 other posts, impossible to find and comment on (especially when 80% of the posts are "me too!" or "where's my 922 yuk yuk")

The title says it all... Don't get me wrong, I very happy that I finally have NBC, ABC and FOX - but completeness is even better. Is this because of the Viacom issues? If so, then why no PBS in HD?

WBNS is owned by the Dispatch. Right now there is no agreement with Dish and the Dispatch. Hopefully it will get resolved soon. Luckily, WBNS has a very powerful broadcast tower...is there anyway you can pick it up over OTA? Thats what i am doing along with PBS. Hope this helps.

When Louisville got HD a couple months ago it came without Fox. It was only a couple weeks after that we got Fox in HD as well. This thread is relevant to me as I'm probably going to "move" to Columbus for the OSU/Browns games in fall and the Browns are probably going to be on CBS.

An OTA antenna works very well here in central Ohio. I live 40+ miles NE of Columbus and get a excellent picture for all Columbus stations. There are 4 PBS stations available (WOSU), plus a Mansfield station is on the list with the latest local channel search on my Dish HD.

Well, I live 80 miles from Columbus and unless I put up a massive tower, an OTA antenna ain't cuttin' it. Thanks to the other replies for explaining the situation. (Looks like I will be telling PBS during their next fund drive that I won't be even thinking of donating until they allow their station on Dish...)

Dispatch runs two stations, WBNS & WTHR. While both are great stations, there is only two of them. It is not like Dispatch owns thirty stations and has much to hold out for. Dispatch should be happy to get whatever they are offered with just operating two stations. I have heard that the SD versions will go too sometime around September. I remember reading a post by a Dispatch employee on another forum that this was the situation.

You mean you heard that the SD of 10TV will be off of Dish in Sept???

I wanted to mention to the OP that I am 60 miles form the 10TV transmitter and I pick them up with little problem. Due to geography and station power, I can only receive WCMH, WBNS and WOSU via my OTA. WSYX and WTTE I can't pick up. I'm northwest of Cols BTW FWIW. Am I to guess you currently don't have an OTA and thus it doesn't make financial sense to spend the $$$ for one station?

Acer

You mean you heard that the SD of 10TV will be off of Dish in Sept???

I wanted to mention to the OP that I am 60 miles form the 10TV transmitter and I pick them up with little problem. Due to geography and station power, I can only receive WCMH, WBNS and WOSU via my OTA. WSYX and WTTE I can't pick up. I'm northwest of Cols BTW FWIW. Am I to guess you currently don't have an OTA and thus it doesn't make financial sense to spend the $$$ for one station?

Acer
The Dish contract with the two stations expires on 31 August. It looks like all or nothing on 1 September for NBC in Indianapolis and Columbus. Time will tell. http://www.dispatchbroadcast.com/default.html

I have a 722 which is OTA-capable, and I have an indoor powered antenna. Thanks to the magic of Google Earth, I have determined I am about 73 miles E-NE of the WBNS tower as the crow flies (if the tower is indeed on Twin River Dr near 315). I live on a hill, but my antenna still only picks up the Cambridge PBS stations (WOUC) and the Zanesville NBC station (WHIZ). I am already spending a nice chunk of change for Dish and really don't want to spend any more. And my wife would probably flip if I told her I was putting an antenna on the roof. Fortunately I rarely watch CBS, so I will not go into withdrawl if they don't get things worked out and CBS disappears. But it is annoying that these media giants get to use us as pawns seemingly without a second thought.

I agree with the not wanting to spend any more dough. Unfortunately for you the terrain is just a bit hilly where you are if I remember correctly. The deck is stacked against you for OTA reception. FWIW, Jerry and Andrea look way old in HD.

Acer

Does DirecTV carry WBNS ? Just wondering in case it's not related to ONN and simply that WBNS plays difficult.
Yes.

DIRECTV: HD Locals

Click on Local Channels Look Up Tool. Enter zip code. Select the High Def tab on the right side below Premier Package. Move the channel list all the way to the end for locals.

As per OP PBS question, Dish does not carry any PBS in HD as they do not have a contract with PBS for HD yet. And Direct does not carry Columbus PBS yet.

This is freaking ridiculous. After all this time, we are able to get HD, and yet not the whole package? Glad I left my OTA antenna hooked up....guess I am just going to keep using it.

Why can't they all just get along, darned it. All for $$$$$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)