Why no native res. output on the 811?

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Just curious as to why the 811 simply has no native resolution output. Under the user menu 6-1-9, you can only choose between 480p, 720p, or 1080i. It would seem to me that 480i (or native) should also be an option.

Is there a way to pass this onto the software engineers for possible inclusion in an update. Also, at least make the SD/HD function on the remote active! It seems to be a waste having that button there and it not be functional. Kind of a pain having to menu 6-1-9 everytime you want to switch resolution.

Why not just leave it on the highest resolution your TV allows? I never menu 6-1-9. If you want 480i use S-video cables too and just switch inputs on your TV.

redline65 said:
Why not just leave it on the highest resolution your TV allows? I never menu 6-1-9. If you want 480i use S-video cables too and just switch inputs on your TV.
because some of the HDTVs we have scale the image better than the 811 does. Dan

dan_in_brooklyn said:
because some of the HDTVs we have scale the image better than the 811 does. Dan

I guess I'm still confused, if you want 480i why not use S-video cables? How can a 480i picture upscaled by your TV look better than a 720p or 1080i picture produced by the 811?

Jimmy_J: It's been brought up many times before and the 811 team is aware of the issue. I would settle for a button on the remote that would let you toggle through them. Right now I have macros set up to switch between 1080i and 720p.

NightRyder

For the confused:

It's mostly because :

1) DVI / Component is superior to s-video
2) Most people don't want to bother with input switching

hancox said:
For the confused:

It's mostly because :

1) DVI / Component is superior to s-video
2) Most people don't want to bother with input switching

Bingo, on #1 & #2. I've tried it both ways using component & s-video. Obviously the component signal is better than the s-video. At least on my Hitachi 57F500. There is something going on within the 811, be it scaling or compression.

I have my 811 hooked up via component & use this for both HD & SD. When watching HD obviously I'm in 1080i and the picture is incredible. But, I noticed if I leave it in 1080i then watch a standard def program, the pic quality tends to be blurry. It's especially noticeable while watching something with a ticker at the bottom.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that when watching standard def, and putting the 811 to 480p output res., I get a better pic vs. leaving it in 1080i.

Since the boys at E* are aware of this, are they planning on making the SD/HD button functional?

If you guys at E* are monitoring these boards, give us the SD/HD button control and add 480i to the list. Or, at least have the 811 pass native resolutions! :mad:

Jimmy J said:
Bingo, on #1 & #2. I've tried it both ways using component & s-video. Obviously the component signal is better than the s-video. At least on my Hitachi 57F500. There is something going on within the 811, be it scaling or compression.

I have my 811 hooked up via component & use this for both HD & SD. When watching HD obviously I'm in 1080i and the picture is incredible. But, I noticed if I leave it in 1080i then watch a standard def program, the pic quality tends to be blurry. It's especially noticeable while watching something with a ticker at the bottom.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that when watching standard def, and putting the 811 to 480p output res., I get a better pic vs. leaving it in 1080i.

Since the boys at E* are aware of this, are they planning on making the SD/HD button functional?

If you guys at E* are monitoring these boards, give us the SD/HD button control and add 480i to the list. Or, at least have the 811 pass native resolutions! :mad:

All good points Jimmy. I posted a while back an enhancement requested that addressed all this issue. Basically There is a need to configure a default Output resolution for SD and HD (Right now there is only one) and a why to temporarly change it SD/HD button. I posted the link for reference.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=36559

WeeJavaDude said:
All good points Jimmy. I posted a while back an enhancement requested that addressed all this issue. Basically There is a need to configure a default Output resolution for SD and HD (Right now there is only one) and a why to temporarly change it SD/HD button. I posted the link for reference.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=36559

Thanx WeeDude AKA Ron, I was starting to think that some of you on this board would think I'm nuts! Sorry to pat myself on the back here, but I kinda surprised myself. "Hey, I do know what I'm talking about!" :D

Any further news? I'd really like them to add native as well. Isn't most of SD content 480i?

Jimmy J said:
Thanx WeeDude, I was starting to think that some of you on this board would think I'm nuts! Sorry to pat myself on the back here, but I kinda surprised myself. "Hey, I do know what I'm talking about!" :D

Any further news? I'd really like them to add native as well. Isn't most of SD content 480i?

I would think native would be one of the choices. Another way to implement this feature is just retain the previous setting setting similar to how it is down with stretch mode. Given that this is how stretch mode is implemented, I would think think this might be they way they would go. I mention it every chance I get because i think it would be a welcome addition.

As to any word, I don't see any mention of this in the next two release notes.

WeeJavaDude said:
I would think native would be one of the choices. Another way to implement this feature is just retain the previous setting setting similar to how it is down with stretch mode. Given that this is how stretch mode is implemented, I would think think this might be they way they would go. I mention it every chance I get because i think it would be a welcome addition.

As to any word, I don't see any mention of this in the next two release notes.

Isn't there an upcoming tech forum on the 14th I believe. Might have to call in and harass them a bit!

All this effort is probably water under the bridge since the 811 will become nothing more than a paper weight after MPEG-4. And, honestly I don't know how much longer I can stand being with E* if they don't get at least get me my locals in HD.

night ryder is correct, the 811 does a really poor job of stretching the image to fit your screen. most tv's do a much better job. however i have found that when watching sd images 480p is about the best, it gives you a wider view without stretching.

the s video will give you a 480i resolution, but with a component or dvi you can set the reciever to (6,1,9) 480p. try it on sd images (especially sports)and see if you like it

I'm a little surprised you guys like the PQ at 480p thru component (or DVI) better than 480i thru S-Video with the 811, especially on Hitachi's. Prior to this thread it was considered ideal to let the TV do its thing with stretch modes and upconversion.

Jstanuthrdishguy said:
I'm a little surprised you guys like the PQ at 480p thru component (or DVI) better than 480i thru S-Video with the 811, especially on Hitachi's. Prior to this thread it was considered ideal to let the TV do its thing with stretch modes and upconversion.

I am sure this is TV dependent and with some T.V. the TV might do a better job handeling 480p on component than 480i on svideo. The other issue here is that with the 811 most people like only having to deal with a single input. Having to use 480i on svideo for SD and 1080i component HD is not convient. I know that programmable remotes can provide assistence in this area but still less convient.

The whole rational behind this enhancement is to allow users the abiliy to tune the 811 PQ output to the TV needs to produce the best possible PQ for the end user. (Hmmm maybe I should add that line to the original request). ;)

Really, what they should do is fix the upconversion the 811 does. But I doubt that will happen and may not be possible. Like most HDTV's, the line doubler in my panny also does a much better job with SD content.

WeeJavaDude said:
The whole rational behind this enhancement is to allow users the abiliy to tune the 811 PQ output to the TV needs to produce the best possible PQ for the end user. (Hmmm maybe I should add that line to the original request). ;)

Well put WeeDude!

Hey E*, are you listening!!! Expect a call from myself or WeeDude come the next Tech Chat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)