Why No Neighboring Channels in HD??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cmags

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
i am in connecticut and recently got NY ch 2,4,& 5 added to locals but not the HD feeds. CSR had no specific answer as to why. i would figure the ny locals are on 110/119 sat and all they have to do is turn on the switch as they did with the standard version. is anyone receiving them? if not why? thanks

I can't understand it either. Although, when I activated my HD receiver in Dec 2004 D* did activate ch 82 (NBC national feed) as they said I qualified for it in the Waterbury, CT area. At least they could have activated the national feeds since they originate in NYC.

cmags said:
i am in connecticut and recently got NY ch 2,4,& 5 added to locals but not the HD feeds. CSR had no specific answer as to why. i would figure the ny locals are on 110/119 sat and all they have to do is turn on the switch as they did with the standard version. is anyone receiving them? if not why? thanks

The NY locals are on 101.

88isgreat said:
I can't understand it either. Although, when I activated my HD receiver in Dec 2004 D* did activate ch 82 (NBC national feed) as they said I qualified for it in the Waterbury, CT area. At least they could have activated the national feeds since they originate in NYC.

You get 82 because WVIT is owned and operated by NBC. The other local networks are not owned by the national networks.

do i need a waiver to get ch 82 or can i call to get it turned on?

cmags said:
do i need a waiver to get ch 82 or can i call to get it turned on?

You should get it automatically everywhere in CT, assuming you have the HD package. (I think you need it anyway)

You do not need the HD package for the HD networks, only an HD receiver. Same applies for the movie channels, if you subscribe.

As for neighboring HD's, not shocking, considering some some affiliates are trying to up the greed factor, and get a reneotiation going for HD LIL FOR THE ACTUAL MARKETS THEY SERVE. SV channels would be another step, and the precedent is bad.

Outrageous.

hancox said:
As for neighboring HD's, not shocking, considering some some affiliates are trying to up the greed factor, and get a reneotiation going for HD LIL FOR THE ACTUAL MARKETS THEY SERVE. SV channels would be another step, and the precedent is bad.

Outrageous.

Agreed. Somehow the feds have mucked-up a rule that should be very simple:
In each locality, DBS can carry the same SV channels as the local cable franchise.

Only Washington could screw up something so simple!

jpn said:
In each locality, DBS can carry the same SV channels as the local cable franchise.

Be sure to say Thank you NAB!

jpn said:

Well hooooooooooold on a bit there, you're contradicting yourself... :)

I don't know of any cable companies that have neighboring markets in HD, so I'm sure that would be the first argument from the NAB. :)

hancox said:
Well hooooooooooold on a bit there, you're contradicting yourself... :)

I don't know of any cable companies that have neighboring markets in HD, so I'm sure that would be the first argument from the NAB. :)

No, not contradicting... I answered the wrong question.

At this point, I'd settle for the CT locals in SD (at least to get started). Before arguing for neighboring locals in HD, I'd want to start seeing local WB/UPN/CW (whatever!) in HD.

I think my statement applies to you too (Fairfield county). Every nearby cable system carries both CT locals and NY locals in some fashion. D* should be permitted (and able) to do the same, but only offers us the NY locals.

Yeah, except the onlt 2 channels I would qualify for would be WTNH and WCTX, both of which are not too hard to get OTA in HD.

Now, if WTXX and WTIC were in play, and I didn't need Full Court to see UConn basketball, now we're talking...

Not sure what you mean by 'qualification'. If it's that the local cable only carries WTNH/WCTX then fine. If it's according to D*'s neighboring channels rule, then it's bs.

From Danbury I can't get any CT stations OTA (SD or HD). Yet the local Comcrap franchise is permitted to carry all NY locals, and all CT locals. Therre is no issue of cable qualifying only for WTNH/WCTX, they show all of the CT affiliates.

When school is closed for snow, cable viewers tune-into CT affiliates. I can't do that with D*, so in effect I'm denied a local service by the FCC's incompetence and corruption.

The FCC has its head firmly embedded in the ass of the NAB, with both hands wiping cable's ass.

For me, it's according to the FCC. My local cable co. carries all NY (my locals) and CT networks. By letter of the law as it is, I only get WCTX and WTNH. Whoopdie doo :)

I believe both Danbury and my area would get CT locals on cable by the head end rule, which means that Comcast is probably serving NY and CT DMA's from that same head end, which is exactly what Cablevision does around me (Milford is in Hartford DMA, Bridgeport and west = NY). Again, this should be opened up to competition for the consumer's benefit, but we're at the mercy of the NAB lobby.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)