Why no StarzHD and MaxHD

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Charlie?

Please dont' give me the not compelling stuff.

Is there not space for it? Since the Olympics is gone why not use that transponder for 1 at least?

You answered the question, there currently is no room for it.

The olympics were done because of reshuffling of things and lowing the bitrate on the other HD channels while the olympics were running.

same old song and dance!

I wonder what Charlie's master plan is concerning HD? The Bandwidth problem
is leaving dish in bad position competitively. I realize that HD is still growing
in popularity and not a priority for most customers, but I'm amazed that he
is allowing his competition(cable and other dbs providers) to gain the upper-hand.

The olympics were done because of reshuffling of things and lowing the bitrate on the other HD channels while the olympics were running.

Based on the continuing freezes, breakups, stuttering, and pixilization, on TNT-HD and Discovery-HD, it doesn't appear the E* put things back the way they were after the Olympics. Since I pay 10 bucks a month for this reduced HD quality, the least E* could do is provide the HD offerings of Starz and CM, to which I currently subscribe. Instead, all I get when I call them is that I should switch to HBO if I want an HD movie channel. No thank you. I had HBO. If the wife and I wanted it, we'd still have it.

The foundation is cracking! Even though the wife and I hate Comcast cable and have been with E* since 1999, the other night she commented that with our E* HD problems and lack of HD channels, and our other Dish 811 problems, maybe we should look at going somewhere else. I told her D* wasn't any better and our only other option was Comcast. She actually suggested we think about changing back to cable. Charlie, are you listening?

Carl B

I tried just what you suggested. I changed to Comcast for the lure of affordable HD/DVR and more HD. What I discovered is that the local channels 2-90 or so look absolutly horrid from the cable on my 50 inch wide lcd. Also I experienced breakup and sound outs on my only attempt to pause an HD event.

I came back to Dish but am hopeful that they will improve. Charlie has to have something up his sleeve. Just hope its a real appendage and not more vapor.

Direct has put up this huge agenda for the next year. Lets see if it comes true.

Even though the HD TIVO product is better than the 921. $1000 is still alot of money.

Good Luck. Don't fall into the cable trap.

About 85% chance I am switching back to cable when my 1 year commit is up in Jan. Lack of HD and NO YES networks is enough to send me back to Cablevision cable.
Would consider Driect, but I am not paying several hundred $$$ for an HD box.

Simple question about this, maybe there is a good reason for what happens. I get HBO-HD twice, HD-PPV twice, and SHOW-HD twice. I'm using satellites 110, 119, 148. Do these duplicates actually use up the bandwidth of two channels, or is there some mapping issue causing it? Is it wasted bandwidth, or is it some sort of region footprint/overlapping issue that requires this? In other words, why can't they just replace the duplicate channels with different and compelling HD content?

jsanders said:
Simple question about this, maybe there is a good reason for what happens. I get HBO-HD twice, HD-PPV twice, and SHOW-HD twice. I'm using satellites 110, 119, 148. Do these duplicates actually use up the bandwidth of two channels, or is there some mapping issue causing it? Is it wasted bandwidth, or is it some sort of region footprint/overlapping issue that requires this? In other words, why can't they just replace the duplicate channels with different and compelling HD content?

Good question. I get the same thing. Does anyone know what is going with the duplicate channels.

thats a good question that has been asked and no responce after all that would make a good spot for starz, max, and bravo hd.. or espn 2 hd when it lauches in jan.. but it would be hard for anyone east of the mississippi river to get it..

goaliebob99 said:
thats a good question that has been asked and no responce after all that would make a good spot for starz, max, and bravo hd.. or espn 2 hd when it lauches in jan.. but it would be hard for anyone east of the mississippi river to get it..

I thought the east coast subscribers used the 61.5 satellite instead of the 148 satellite, and see the same thing.

The channels in question are mirrored on 148, but not 61.5. I remember seeing a crawl that the 148 copies were going to stop - but apparently they didn't bother, or the plans have changed. Without looking it up, are these channels on 110? If so, then because 110 is hard to get in Alaska/Hawaii, they have left them on 148 for those guys?

Why no StarzHD and MaxHD

bdemz said:
Charlie?

Please dont' give me the not compelling stuff.

Is there not space for it? Since the Olympics is gone why not use that transponder for 1 at least?

As much as I would like more HD on Dish,keep this in mind:
As far as all the movie channels
StarzHD-most of the new movies they show are not in True HD anyways,I have seen many a post at AVSForums complaining about the lack of True HD,watch Kill Bill 1 and complain about it being a upconvert.
CinemaxHD-I get HBO,if its on one it will soon be on the other,no loss, for example-X-Men 2,premiered on Max in July,premiered in Sept on HBO,Seabiscuit premiered in Aug on HBO,premieres in I think in Oct on Max,why spend the money
TMC-HD same answer but replace HBO with Showtime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts