Why no UPN or WB HD in NYC?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

talbain

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
particularly when they are apparently available in other dma's?

I thought I was in a time-warp here. :)

UPN and WB merged to avoid folding under their own debt and are now CW (WPIX). Now they will make a slightly larger "thud" when they fall.
Fox formed it's own soon-to-be-failed network (My Network TV - WWOR) mostly from stations owned by groups that got the short end of the stick with the merger. MyTV is now in it's second encarnation since the "telenovela" idea did not seem to imediately catch on. :D

See ya
Tony

I am sure the only reason they Detroit market has the MY20 station in HD is for Pistons basketball - they have around 1/2 the pistons games, which is high for an OTA station.

I'm not positive on this one but Cablevision may or may not have an exclusive deal to carry CW and MyNetwork in NY. I know their HD lineup already has it. That's the only explanation I would have. That, or the fact that the CW and MyNetwork stations are not O&O stations. WWOR is owned by WNYW and I believe WPIX is owned by WCBS.

I'm not positive on this one but Cablevision may or may not have an exclusive deal to carry CW and MyNetwork in NY. I know their HD lineup already has it. That's the only explanation I would have. That, or the fact that the CW and MyNetwork stations are not O&O stations. WWOR is owned by WNYW and I believe WPIX is owned by WCBS.
They are on TWC NY also.

Last edited:
I was just on the phone with customer support for 30+ minutes asking that very question and couldn't get a straight answer. First I was told bandwidth, and then because of legal reasons. The lady tried to get me a waiver or whatever they call it and I was denied.

The thing is, I get My 9 HD on channel 95 for Yankees games, so the channels can't be blacked out due to legal reasons.

I'm a Mets fan and all I want is to be able to watch the weekend games (which are on CW11) in HD. I don't watch much TV other than Mets games, so I'm pretty close to switching to Optimum (Cablevision) which carries both My 9 and CW11 in HD.

Actually they are O&O.

Follow the bouncing ball. :)
WWOR owened/Controlled by WNYW which is owned by Fox which owns My Network TV.

WPIX is owned/Controlled by WCBS which is owned by CBS which owns half of CW (The C in CW is CBS. The W is Warner Brothers.)

See ya
Tony

My understanding of the situation here in Charlotte is that Channels 55 and 46 just hasnt got a contract with DTV yet..you would think since 55 carries a good many Bobcat games that they would be on but that is another issue with me since TWC-14 carries the majority of them(wouldnt even gettem on League Pass)

Bill

I just spent another 30 minutes on the phone with DirecTV and here is the new answer I got...

They don't carry either CW11 or My9 in HD in the NY area yet because they don't have enough bandwidth.

I asked why they can carry the My9 HD feed for the Yankees games on channel 95, but never carry the CW11 HD feeds for the Mets games on that channel and was told that they don't have authorization by CW11 to do so.

I now have sent an inquiry to CW11 asking if that is true.

I have my fingers crossed that it is a bandwidth issue and that I'll be able to get both NY 9 and 11 in HD with the new HD rollout this fall.

All you satellite guys (I have Dish-NOT HD though) don't waste your breath calling them up. Get an antenna and enjoy Channels 9 & 11 in NYC over the air. I usually am one of the early adopters of new technology but the bump in price for HD from Dish is ridiculous. When analog goes away will they drop their prices back to today's prices?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)