Why not do this...

maxmoto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
NW Ohio
Why not convert every thing to MPEG4. That would free up so much room an the satellites. I know this is dreaming, because of having to switch out all the MPEG2 recievers. But, if you wanted more HD space without having to send up another bird, this would be the way to do it. :eureka

Somewhere between 10 and 20 million MPEG-2 receivers.

But yes, that's what they're doing- it's just going to take years, and they will encourage us every step of the way to convert early, at least partly on our own nickel.

Dish has that plan already.... It ain't gonna happen in 3-6 months or even 1-2 years though, but it will someday.

They proposed last summer that the total HD channel conversion to mpeg 4 would be completed by the end of this year. THen it would take 2 - 3 years to convert all mpeg 2sd receivers to mpeg 4. So they are on target so far with the hd channels , at least the Voom channels. I will bet that we hear before the end of the year, that the rest of the hd channels will go mpeg 4 too.

But yes, that's what they're doing- it's just going to take years, and they will encourage us every step of the way to convert early, at least partly on our own nickel.

EXACTLY. Aside from the massive production of STB's necessary, you can bet Charlie has the spredsheets to prove that leasing the two "MPEG4" satellites and relaunching Dish Network will save some chump change. If he had the mega-money Direct or the cable companies do, he might have gone exclusively the STB switchout route.

Why? Who cares how much more room Dish has on their satellites!

MPEG 4 means they have to COMPRESS the video even more. I can't stand MPEG 4!!!

The MPEG 2 just looks so much better because it is not COMPRESSED as much.

I relay don't see why they should compress it at all. I am paying HD....1080 lines, not 1080 lines being squished into 600 some lines then being stretched back out to 1080 again.

Why? Who cares how much more room Dish has on their satellites!

I relay don't see why they should compress it at all. I am paying HD....1080 lines, not 1080 lines being squished into 600 some lines then being stretched back out to 1080 again.
Huh?

Please research this subject before you post such nonsense. You've showed how little you really know about it.

They proposed last summer that the total HD channel conversion to mpeg 4 would be completed by the end of this year. THen it would take 2 - 3 years to convert all mpeg 2sd receivers to mpeg 4. So they are on target so far with the hd channels , at least the Voom channels. I will bet that we hear before the end of the year, that the rest of the hd channels will go mpeg 4 too.

Do you have more information about this? What do you mean by the rest of the hd channels? I am still getting the old original hd package (espn, hdnets, dsc, tnt) plus hbo and sho. It sure sounds like a huge disincentive to upgrade, and an incentive to drop dish altogether. If I were to buy an expensive mpeg 4 box (my dealer wants $600 for 622, no info on 722 from him), how do I know they won't decide to "brick" it in couple years when the next thing comes along.

I see this over and over again.

On another site, some listed quality of formats, and MPEG2 was listed two levels above MPEG4 in "quality".

Of course, at the same bitrate, MPEG4 looks much better than MPEG2.

It's a widespread myth, just like "downrezzing makes the PQ worse" (which the same poster also believes).

In the 90's it was "bits is bits, so all CD players sound alike"...

Do you have more information about this? What do you mean by the rest of the hd channels? I am still getting the old original hd package (espn, hdnets, dsc, tnt) plus hbo and sho. It sure sounds like a huge disincentive to upgrade, and an incentive to drop dish altogether. If I were to buy an expensive mpeg 4 box (my dealer wants $600 for 622, no info on 722 from him), how do I know they won't decide to "brick" it in couple years when the next thing comes along.
You don't know. It's an incentive to lease, actually, and a huge disincentive to buy.

So, we'll call it 15 million.

Some have DVRs, and some don't, so it would be E*'s cost of (rough estimate) $300 for the former, and $200 for the latter, so we'll call it $250.

Total cost = $3.75 billion

So, if you want to send Charlie a check for that much, he would be glad to convert everyone to MPEG4 !

On another site, some listed quality of formats, and MPEG2 was listed two levels above MPEG4 in "quality".

Of course, at the same bitrate, MPEG4 looks much better than MPEG2.
MPEG4 is associated with DivX/Xvid. Probably where the poster got the 600 line idea from too....

Not sure why you still have the HDPAK unless it is with some International package. Maybe Dish will let you run with HDPAK until these channels get converted to MPEG4. Those are only a few of the HD channels Dish offers. The rest are MPEG4 so you don't know about them.

You need to get a new dealer, 622's can be had for much less than that. You can lease a 622/722 if you don't want to layout the cash up front and get "bricked".

Drop dish? What are you watching your HD on now? Won't dropping Dish "brick" that receiver since MPEG2 HD receivers are going to lose their value? Dish is offering some very good upgrade deals for those with MPEG2 HD receivers right now.

I live in Alaska, and they will not lease boxes to us. I already tried to do the dish n it up upgrade, and was told by the ceo email that I could not get it.

Well that stinks. Sorry to hear that.

You should still be able to get a much better deal than $600 for a 622.

Well that stinks. Sorry to hear that.

You should still be able to get a much better deal than $600 for a 622.

I got my 622 for $380.00 on ebay ,My 211 I got it for $179.00 brand new ,The costumers that I'm able to install HD(I work for a retailer) they all have to buy their equipment.

I got my 622 for $380.00 on ebay ,My 211 I got it for $179.00 brand new ,The costumers that I'm able to install HD(I work for a retailer) they all have to buy their equipment.

Is this something I can do as a diy? If I were to buy a new box on the internet, will it work with my sw64 switch (don't know about the lnb's, 3 singles)? I have a 510 on "to receiver #1", the semifunctional 6000 I would like to replace on 2, 3&4 empty. Is it just swapping out on the #2 cable, and at some point running another rg6 from 3?

My dealer also wanted me to change my lnb's for $50 each, and a new switch for either: one for $100 or another $225 (maybe $250, our phone doesnt work too well, either :rolleyes:)

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)