Why not do this...

Is this something I can do as a diy? If I were to buy a new box on the internet, will it work with my sw64 switch (don't know about the lnb's, 3 singles)? I have a 510 on "to receiver #1", the semifunctional 6000 I would like to replace on 2, 3&4 empty. Is it just swapping out on the #2 cable, and at some point running another rg6 from 3?

My dealer also wanted me to change my lnb's for $50 each, and a new switch for either: one for $100 or another $225 (maybe $250, our phone doesnt work too well, either :rolleyes:)

thanks

Chena
Your legacy sw 64 will work with any of the Vips models available on the market, If your plan is to get a pvr(622,722) you'll need 2 feeds from the switch to make it work, If you are going to buy the 211 will work with a single feed therefore no problem either for you just swap or add this one to your current setup.

Why not convert every thing to MPEG4. That would free up so much room an the satellites. I know this is dreaming, because of having to switch out all the MPEG2 recievers. But, if you wanted more HD space without having to send up another bird, this would be the way to do it. :eureka

I think a much better solution is to broadcast SD channels in both MPEG2 and MP4 format. Those with MP4 capable receiver will receive the MP4 while the ones with older receivers will get MPEG2. This is a perfect way to migrate to MP4 while maintaining backward compatibility. :)

Not sure why you still have the HDPAK unless it is with some International package. Maybe Dish will let you run with HDPAK until these channels get converted to MPEG4. Those are only a few of the HD channels Dish offers. The rest are MPEG4 so you don't know about them.

You need to get a new dealer, 622's can be had for much less than that. You can lease a 622/722 if you don't want to layout the cash up front and get "bricked".

Drop dish? What are you watching your HD on now? Won't dropping Dish "brick" that receiver since MPEG2 HD receivers are going to lose their value? Dish is offering some very good upgrade deals for those with MPEG2 HD receivers right now.

I don't know what the current deal is, but they had a good deal to switch receiver for those with the old HDPAK for essentially free up until mid August. Only real requirement was they had to go to the new DISH HD package.

Why? Who cares how much more room Dish has on their satellites!

MPEG 4 means they have to COMPRESS the video even more. I can't stand MPEG 4!!!

The MPEG 2 just looks so much better because it is not COMPRESSED as much.

I relay don't see why they should compress it at all. I am paying HD....1080 lines, not 1080 lines being squished into 600 some lines then being stretched back out to 1080 again.

Go get a basic understanding of compression, please.

I think a much better solution is to broadcast SD channels in both MPEG2 and MP4 format. Those with MP4 capable receiver will receive the MP4 while the ones with older receivers will get MPEG2. This is a perfect way to migrate to MP4 while maintaining backward compatibility. :)

Why? This would waste at least 50% more bandwidth than they use today. And all the MPEG-4 receivers can receive MPEG-2, so there's nothing to be gained by this approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)