Why not Mediacom??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just got off the phone w/Mediacom to drop HBO and Cinemax. HBO to save a little since the HBONow is about $4/month cheaper, with first month free and Cinemax because Strikeback won't be on until later in the summer.

Ended up dropping Max and saving $14/month for that. And then when I said to drop HBO they told me that my HBO and SHO were tied together and it would be $14 for Showtime because of that. The rep looked a bit a came back with HBO for $9.95 and SHO for $9.95 if taken together both rates for a year. So I took it since it saves about $10/month over using HBONow.

Bill will be something less than $85/month for all the cable channels, HBO, SHO, Starz, Encore, Sports, Kids (because of BBCA).

All in all a very nice call!!

Yes, I have noticed that their customer service is morphing to reflect a more national and universal approach; they seem to be moving away from the local office for everything except handling bills, assigning tech visits and returning/exchanging equipment.

Mediacom just added Netflix to their Pace Tivo boxes.

Now they just need to get Amazon Prime & Hulu Plus

I'm in a Charter area but I'm curious what Mediacom charges for their version of Tivo vs just getting your own Roamio. Does using one of theirs eliminate the need for a tuning adapter and/or give you access to their on demand system?

I have had no issues with my Charter tuning adapter but I've read about other people who have problems. The lack of on demand support doesn't bother me either but I can see why some people would want that.

Charter doesn't offer their own Tivos but even if they did I don't think I would want one. I like knowing I can cancel at any time with no contract and take all my recordings with me. I also don't like the idea of them deciding which streaming apps I can access and which ones I can't.

Mediacom doesn't use a tuning adapter at all, just a cable card.

As to how much they charge for it, well that's hard to tell as I've only been quoted some bundled price without a breakout. Based on some conversations with them and some others, I think the monthly probably is a wash between owning your own or renting theirs.

The downside of owning your own is no access to Mediacom's VOD library. The upside is that the real deal Tivo includes Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus and some other video streaming that the Mediacom one doesn't. Well, Netflix just got added today.

If I only subscribed to Netflix, I would get theirs now.

Mediacom doesn't use a tuning adapter at all, just a cable card.

As to how much they charge for it, well that's hard to tell as I've only been quoted some bundled price without a breakout. Based on some conversations with them and some others, I think the monthly probably is a wash between owning your own or renting theirs.

The downside of owning your own is no access to Mediacom's VOD library. The upside is that the real deal Tivo includes Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus and some other video streaming that the Mediacom one doesn't. Well, Netflix just got added today.

If I only subscribed to Netflix, I would get theirs now.

So it has access to the regular cable VOD system. That would be the big selling point for most people for getting the box through them instead of a standard Tivo. Again, I'm fine with just recording the content I want but I can see why on demand would be nice to have.

I'm surprised they don't use tuning adapters. I thought that was pretty much a standard for cable now. With all the HD Charter has added with the switch to their all digital Spectrum service there isn't enough bandwidth available without switched digital video so Tuning adapters are necessary if you aren't using a Charter provided box.

Cisco Tuning adapter is PIA with Cox. Has to be rebooted every few days.

That's rough... I imagine you miss recordings on SDV channels if you don't notice it needs to be rebooted in time. Charter provided me with a Motorola TA and it hasn't been rebooted once in the almost 3 months I have had service with them. It has stayed paired the whole time and I haven't missed any recordings.

Mediacom doesn't have as many HD channels as some of the other cable providers. Somewhere around 100 HD channels if you include all the premiums. I suppose that is what allows them to not have tuning adapters yet.

Just ordered a used Cisco 3010 Docsis 3 8/4 cable modem. Got it for $18 and payed with reward points. Nice thing about cable modems is they either work or don't,and getting one this cheap makes renting one just crazy!

I have watched this discussion with interest. I have had Mediacom Internet only service for 3+ years. It has been reliable and is fasssst.The price has been reasonable and I have gotten promo internet prices every year with no contract. I live in S. IL

For TV service I have had Directv for 3 years.

Last week a Mediacom Local sales rep visited my home. He offered me a rock bottom bundle price for 50mps Internet, telephone and the Elite TV Package which includes all channels including HBO/StarZ/Cinemax/Showtime and VOD. 1 Pace MG1 Tivo and 2 mini's and Tivo Stream. Free Install and a 90 day money back guarantee. All for $130 a month and NO contract or commitment. This included a $20 a month discount for switching from DTV. I have to provide a DTV bill to get this discount. Promo price good for year. This deal saves me quite a bit of $$ and gives me all the Premium channels which I do not have now with Directv.

I took the deal figuring I have nothing to lose with the 90 day guarantee and no contract. I asked about the price when the 1 yr promo ended and he said around $25 to $30 more. He told me I would be eligible for yet another promo.

It seems to me that Mediacom is getting very serious about getting new customers and without a contract. I have doubts as Mediacom is not a company that has a stellar reputation. Time will tell. I get installed next week.

Where in Southern IL???? I'm in Herrin down by Carbondale.

That deal is a good one and they are fairly good about dickering at the end of the 1st year if you aren't on contract. I have a contract on my internet portion, but the TV service isn't on contract. Currently I don't have phone or Cinemax, but I have the 100/10 internet service and the total cost is about $130/month. Basically making the TV service about $80/month for everything but one Premium.

I am in Cobden. Right now I have 100mbps Internet for $60 a month. I did have 50mbps for $55 a month but a couple of months ago they offered me 100mbps for only $5 more a month. No Contract.

The new bundle I agreed to last night gives me 50mbps with all the Tivo stuff I mentioned in my first post. The sales rep did give me what is called a "closer". Free speed bump to 100mbps for 3 months. I have all this in writing on a service order. NO Commitment is marked and I did not sign a commitment agreement. The sales rep did offer me a 2 year contract and showed me the contract. It had a ETF. I declined as I do not trust Mediacom and did not want to get into a contract or ETF agreement.

I asked if the Mediacom On Demand would eat up my Data Cap. I was told the Mediacom On Demand does not use your Data Cap, however Netflix and any 3rd party apps in the Tivo box WILL use your Internet Data Cap. This could save me lots of data cap because I like HBO/Showtime on Demand.

FWIW I see little real world difference between 50 and 100mbps internet. I do check speeds everyday and average 117mbps down and 17mbps up The main difference is the 50mbps has a 350GB Cap and the 100mbps has a 1TB cap. I have never used more than 230gb in one month and that was with heavy Netflix/HBO go viewing. after my free 3 month Speed Bump is over I will go back to the 50mbps service, otherwise I was told if I keep it it would be $15 more a month. The Rep also told me to call the Mediacom Retention number when I cancel the Speed Bump. He said they might give me a better deal.

From my past experience with Mediacom Internet service I have learned that Mediacom dickers prices/discounts almost as much as Directv. I have also had Dishnetwork in the past and they do not seem to like to dicker any prices, maybe a Free premium channel for a while and that is it.

Same old Mediacom BS. Some things never change. On 4-28 the Local Sales Rep visited me at my house. I signed the Mediacom Service Order, the prices without Surcharge and taxes were in the order. Also NO commitment was checked. The Sales Rep told me he would call me on the phone the next day with total monthly charges. It did not happen. He also told me I would get the Tivo equipment shipped to me and I would get it Friday May 1st. It did not happen. He told me I would get it installed today May 4. Hell, I still do not have the Tivo. I emailed the Local Sales Rep, he refuses to answer my emails.

Why oh why does Mediacom continue to piss off customers like this? Is it any wonder Mediacom consistently gets rated as the WORST ISP/TV provider in the USA?

I emailed this to the lying Mediacom Local Sales Rep:

"This is the kind of service I have come to expect from Mediacom and its employees. I think we can just call this Tivo deal off. I see nothing but frustration in my future with Mediacom. Directv may cost a little more but I have no frustration with them. They treat me like a VALUED customer.."

That perfectly describes how it went with using the local sales rep that came to the house. He gave me some info and figures, but said he needed to come back with finalized figures and to set things up. That never happened! But they did send me an old Tivo Premier which I sent back. The sales rep never would respond after that either and I was ready to walk away.

I bitched at Mediacom's forum and things got better and I ended up signing with them. Saving money, got all the channels I actually will watch in HD and a great Tivo box.

Reactions: Bronxiniowa
I bitched at Mediacom's forum and things got better and I ended up signing with them.

Full story with bitching here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30039152-Answers-Wanted-in-S-IL-Sales-Rep-Misrepresentation

The above link is to an active Mediacom Forum which is monitored by the Mediacom Social Media Team. I have found in the past that these Reps are much more higher in rank (and much more helpful) than those in the Official Mediacom Support Forum.

Feel free to add your story to my posts....

Now that I've been with Mediacom for a few months, here are some observations.
1. It seems that the HD is a full 1080i, but it also seems a little bit starved. Most noticeable to me when I watch boxing. It is worse than E* & D* and someone a little more picky might really complain though that wouldn't do much good. Which brings me to the next....
2. While the social sites for them do respond and overally do a good job, too many times you have to call them to actually do anything about programming. And that more often than not kicks in a $2 'change fee'. Some hogwash about calling being more secure.
3. They are slow to do anything other than what can be done 'over the wire'. If you need a tech out, or need them to do some fixing at their end, it is always a week or so to get it done. Fortunately I haven't needed it yet.
4. TIVO support is a bit of a mixed bag. If you get their Pace XG1 you get access to their on-demand, but lose most of the streaming video services supported by an actual TIVO unit. With a real TIVO you get all that is good about TIVO, but lose access to on-demand.

Overall I like the combo of a real TIVO, in my case the Roamio Plus, because search is global and not only searches the cable channels provided, but also the streaming services you subscribe to and allows for setting up a 'one pass' for a mixture of streaming and cableco provided. One of the areas I like that for is the CW stuff. Our local CW is really bad. SD and a very much bit starved SD at that. So I watch on Hulu Plus and the streams show up in my One-Pass folder for the show. I like that well enough that I would keep the TIVO even if I cancelled the cable.

Cost wise my TV with everything I'll actually watch is costing me about $90/month and that includes HBO/SHO/Starz/MAX. Compared to D* & E* promos even, it is cheaper by a significant amount. For E* I would need a Hopper+SuperJoey which pushes them up a little and D*is about $5/month more than E* for the configurations I've played with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)