Why only 1 Showtime in HD

Annie2005

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
California
and why is it Showtime East? (I'm in the West). At least the West channel should have HD because all it is is a different time than East. Direct TV has four Showtime HD. and Comcast has HD for free. I'm beginning to think I picked the wrong provider.:mad:

and why is it Showtime East? (I'm in the West). At least the West channel should have HD because all it is is a different time than East. Direct TV has four Showtime HD. and Comcast has HD for free. I'm beginning to think I picked the wrong provider.:mad:

Dish hasn't come to an agreement with Showtime yet. No other reason. Showtime was on Charlie's wish list from the last chat.

As for east-west, I'd rather have another version Showtime than the same programming. East and West are the same programming three hours different. Get a DVR and record what you want. I don't care if I have the east or west coast version, but one channel is sufficient if there is only one set of programming. I'd rather the bandwidth be used for a net with different programming.

And Comcast just has the fee for much of their HD programming included in the digital tier. It is definitely not free. And Showtime surely isn't free.

As for east-west, I'd rather have another version Showtime than the same programming. East and West are the same programming three hours different. Get a DVR and record what you want. I don't care if I have the east or west coast version, but one channel is sufficient if there is only one set of programming. I'd rather the bandwidth be used for a net with different programming. .
Exactly ,Could not agree more. This is one of the biggest problems I had and Have with D* Premiums. I like what E* is doing ,Keeping the west feeds to a minimum.

What a rip-off. With U-verse I have 14 channels HBO HD, 12 MAX HD, 5 SHOTIME HD, 3 MOVIE CHANNELS HD, 4 STARX HD and 1 ENCORE HD.

As for east-west, I'd rather have another version Showtime than the same programming. East and West are the same programming three hours different. Get a DVR and record what you want. I don't care if I have the east or west coast version, but one channel is sufficient if there is only one set of programming. I'd rather the bandwidth be used for a net with different programming.

Are you certain of this? I haven't checked Showtime but I have checked HBO/Cinemax and they have different programming on the East/West channels, not the same programming with a three hour time difference. That means Charlie could add all those channels and we could have 26 HBO/Cinemax channels in HD.

I'm absolutely certain. :)

The east and west feeds of HBO/Showtime/Max, etc have identical programming with a three hour delay. That is why they are the west coast feed!

The only exception is a rare one. Whenever there is a live event such as boxing and both feeds are showing the same event simultaneously, the movie preceding the live event on the east coast channel, usually follows the event on the west coast channel. The east coast channel has an hour of filler and then shows a movie. After about two hours, the two channels sync up again with the west coast on a three hour delay of the east coast feed.

As to getting rid of the west coast feeds (or at least limiting their existence on Dish) I am undecided. There are many times when I miss a show I intended to record, or have conflicts where I wanted to watch a show but two other programs are on at the same time I want to watch as well. A west coast feed gives me another opportunity. But since the movie channels always repeat movies over at least a month, I guess I can do what I have been doing and wait until they make the rounds to the HD channel and record them at off hours and watch them later. :)

See ya
Tony

I'm absolutely certain. :)

The east and west feeds of HBO/Showtime/Max, etc have identical programming with a three hour delay. That is why they are the west coast feed!

The only exception is a rare one. Whenever there is a live event such as boxing and both feeds are showing the same event simultaneously, the movie preceding the live event on the east coast channel, usually follows the event on the west coast channel. The east coast channel has an hour of filler and then shows a movie. After about two hours, the two channels sync up again with the west coast on a three hour delay of the east coast feed.

:)

See ya
Tony

Certain? Maybe you should look again. I'm currently looking at tonight's HBO schedule that has "The Bucket List" showing at 8pm eastern on HBO east. The HBO west channel has the end of "I am Legend" at 8pm. Just in case the grid is not using west coast time for the HBO west channel, I looked at 5pm which had something called "Music and Lyrics" scheduled. As a matter of fact, the 8pm scheduled showing of "The Bucket List" isn't showing on any of the HBO west channels either at 5pm or 8pm. This movie is showing on the HBO west channel at 1pm and again at 11pm. No correlation between the east and west feeds that I can see.

Certain? Maybe you should look again. I'm currently looking at tonight's HBO schedule that has "The Bucket List" showing at 8pm eastern on HBO east. The HBO west channel has the end of "I am Legend" at 8pm. Just in case the grid is not using west coast time for the HBO west channel, I looked at 5pm which had something called "Music and Lyrics" scheduled. As a matter of fact, the 8pm scheduled showing of "The Bucket List" isn't showing on any of the HBO west channels either at 5pm or 8pm. This movie is showing on the HBO west channel at 1pm and again at 11pm. No correlation between the east and west feeds that I can see.
Your wrong. Bucket List is on at 8 Eastern and again on the West Channel at 11 pm Everything thats on the East Channel is Then on the West Channel 3 Hours later. Not 3 Hours Earlier.

The only exception would be if HBO has a sporting event that they show on the east and west coast feeds either live or at the same time. That has been the only times I have seen the west coast feed not be 3 hours later than the east.

You are correct. The confusion on my part was that the programming is not shown simultaneously but repeated so as to be shown at the same time on the west coast.

Wow, you cracked the code! We've been trying to figure out how that worked for years. Magnificent! :clap

You are correct. The confusion on my part was that the programming is not shown simultaneously but repeated so as to be shown at the same time on the west coast.

Gee, I wish I could have said that. Wait...
TNGTony said:

I DID! :D

Glad you now understand how that works.

HBO HBO2, SHowtime, Show Too TMC, TMC XTra, Starz, Cinemax, Cartoon Network, Disney, Nickelodeon all have east and west feeds. For those without DVRs and even those with DVRs who forgot to set a timer, it's a great "do-over" to be able to get the program you missed.

See ya
Tony

IMO, Showtime is only good for three months out of the year...when Dexter is on. Their extra channels are no better than the Mother.

The west stations are the same as the East , But just a 3 hour delay. Just like its New years here in Pa 3 hours before it New years in CA. So at midnight Eastern would have the ball drop , But its only 9 PM in CA. So are they going to have the ball drop at 9 pm. NOPE theres your 3 hour delay.

IMO, Showtime is only good for three months out of the year...when Dexter is on. Their extra channels are no better than the Mother.

And Dexter sucked this year. But Penn & Teller are good, and hopefully they will bring back This American Life.

The only reason I keep it is because that way, pretty much every major movie comes on if you have HBO, Showtime and Starz.

If they would only pick up The Movie Channel in HD, I would drop both Starz and Showtime, pick up the AT250 pack again, and just wait until the movies come on Encore and TMC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)