Why Recievers accept users Lat / Long position ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcwho

Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
DO recievers that have lat/long input settings have the ability to calculate where a satellite is with a motorized system ?

What would the term for this be ?

I am using two recievers here in Baghdad, one of from the PX, and one loacl store. Neither of them have a lat/long input.

I would assume that if you put the lat/long in it should be able to go right to the satellites you want without haveing to manually seek and save the position of each one.

I don't see that text in the manuals, and since I have already bought two recievers, I need to know what the feature would be called that can calculate where the sats are.

I am going thru reciever manuals online and it is tedious, I may have to buy a few recievers to find what I want !

I would think someone whould have knowledge of this !!

Lat & Longitude is for receivers that have Diseqc 1.3 or USALS....some receivers don't have that option so its not in there :)
USALS allows you to input lat/long and as lnog as the true south satellite is set up the rest fall into place

The motorized dish is alrady setup. Has anyone used or seen a receiver that will scan and find satsa and store their position into the reciever ?

I am not sure what that terminalogy would be "Blind Scan" seems to mean find all channels and transponnders on a particular satelllite.

I am looking fr some thing that may exist, if the reciever knows where it is (lat/long) it should be able to calculate where the sats are and find them.

I assume their is a carrier signal that each satellite sends out, but not sure.

I have two locally purchased recievers, and they work but the aiming of the dish is completely manual.

For USALS to work, you must properly setup the Dish to Your True South Sat. first(it's a Sat the is on or close to, the same Longitude as you are) Once you are properly aligned to your TS Sat, the receiver can "drive" to the other Sats automatically(as long as the sat list in the receiver is up to date) The receiver uses the Long and Lat that you entered to calculate the other sat locations, based on the Sat List in the receiver.

This link may help in setting up the Dish...
Satellite Look Angles Satellite Heading Calculator Azimuth Elevation Skew Tilt LNBF Latitude and Longitude values

If you physically set it up just right, scanning the rest of the arc is EASY as pie. We have a list of strong transponders on the section that says "I need a strong transponder to aim my dish" Use that list and you're good to go.

In terms of your motor, give or take, you can go about 60 or so degrees in either direction. Sometimes up to 65 degrees.

Latitude and longitude is extremely important on your receiver. Then, you can just tell your receiver to go to any specific position in the sky.

LAT/Long

The issue is clear to me. Since I have two recievers that do not input LAT/LONG the quest here is to find out what the function would be called that I can search for to find in a manual.

I have been reading manuals online, and haven't found any that state something like the following"

"On a motorized system, this reciever will scan the sky left ro right, find the satellites and store their locations."

I deal in a technical world and find it interesting that there seems to be no common termininology for waht I am looking for.

And I believe if its not in the manual, it probably is not a feature in the system. If anyone knows of a rciever that does this, please let me know. I can plug in the locations from here where they shoudl beb foound if necessary.

If they don't allow Lat/Long. that means there is no support for USALS. Time to move to Diseqc 1.2

This involves manually moving the motor....waiting for signal, logging that signal, identifying it, then storing that "position" on the right satellite entry.

Sounds complicated but your basically telling the receiver that the motor is currently aimed at ?? west and this is where you (the motor) should go when I call up the satellite. It's a bit of a throwback but it works.

My Fortec Star Mercury II says it has it but it don't move my dish. It says its moving it on the screen but my SatHawk Gbox don't move. Is it for use with a HH motor only? :confused:

I am using two recievers here in Baghdad, one of from the PX, and one loacl store. Neither of them have a lat/long input.

I would assume that if you put the lat/long in it should be able to go right to the satellites you want without haveing to manually seek and save the position of each one.

I don't see that text in the manuals, and since I have already bought two recievers, I need to know what the feature would be called that can calculate where the sats are.

I am going thru reciever manuals online and it is tedious, I may have to buy a few recievers to find what I want !

I would think someone whould have knowledge of this !!

You need to point it to hot bird and leave it there :) You dont need a motorized system for your setup ;)

PKII - The GBox and VBox are not USALS Compat. They use DiSEqC 1.2 commands to move the motor.
I can't get it to work with DiSEqC 1.2 either. What mover is capatiable with USALS? :confused:

For a BUD, none that I know of. I have only seen USALS for H to H Motors for the small Ku Dish.
DiSEqC 1.2 is a "Drive-N-Save" setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)