Why should I choose Dish Network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I babysat for my sister tonight.

They have a VIP 722 HD Dish Network box, the only box in the house.

When it started recording something that was scheduled, we were unable to watch anything else in the living room. She said we would have had to go to the bedroom to watch another channel.

This seems adsurb to me. I have DirecTv, we have 3 boxes and we can watch a second channel when one tuner is recording something. This seems to be the desired way to do things. I would really hate to have to either watch what is being recorded or go to the other room just to use the other tuner.

I know I am paying $5 or $6 per month for each additional box I have, but, we could conceivably be recording 6 different things at once if we were to use each box. That has never happened, because then we would have to go to that room to watch the content, but, there are many many times that we have something recording on one tuner in our living room while we watch a different channel in the living room from the same box.

With this in mind, why would I ever want to choose Dish Network.

Maybe I or they don't know how to use it, but, at least with a box in the living room, a box in the bedroom and a box in the basement, there is usually a free tuner to watch something live should we choose to.

Thanks!

You could do the same thing with Dish, only you'd want the 612's instead of the 622 or 722. 622 or 722 can operate two TV's...if you plug it into the phone line they only charge the price of one though. You could use them in single mode too, but 612 only counts as one tuner on the account and doesn't have the extra room fee if not plugged into the phone line.

Matter of preference, I guess. Using a 622/722 is cheaper and in many setups lets you watch the recorded programs in a different room while single-room DVR's wouldn't. 612 or more traditional DVR lets you watch while recording in every room.

I prefer to have two tuners per room like you do.

Sidenote, she could have recorded the show on the bedroom tuner too and then you could have watched in the living room.

Just because you sister has chosen to have only one tuner per TV says nothing about Dish Network - this is her choice. I've a dual tuner for each TV and can watch & record at the same time (even record 2 things while watching OTA) on both my TVs.

Of course, you could have just toggled the unit into Single mode & watched the 2nd show in the Living Room.

In SINGLE mode on the 622/722/722k, You can watch either tv 1 or tv 2 from the living room and or watch a recorded show in the living room. You can easily switch from one tuner to the other using swap button and change from one tuner to the other. You can also watch an ota channel in the living room as well. Yes you didn't know how to use the 722 receiver. Also in DUAL mode , which your receiver was in, you can set your recordings to all go to tv2 so you can use tv1 for live tv watching or surfing. The 722 was not set up to use it properly by your sister.

I like my solution.... I keep both tuners rolling all the time. That way we have plenty of stuff to watch....we never get to watch it all. But the reason we do this is, no commercials. If I had to guess we maybe watch 10% of TV in realtime.

But I agree with the others, I run mine in dual mode and the recordings always default to the bedroom. I don't have an issue watching realtime in the living room.

Your sister needs to read her user's guide.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Or explain the set up correctly to you.
By the way what that box is doing something you can not do on DirecTv. :eek:
Another reason why DirecTv is still in the stone age.:eek:

Last edited:
The OP does not sound like he is really wanting suggestions as to why he should choose Dish Network over another multichannel provider, but merely to try and be a troll or bring up a D* vs E* issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)