Why should I pay $7

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
If I own my 722 and decide not to subscribe to any HD pack will they still charge me $7 and why? I would still have the dvr advantage service but that would be all. I believe they say it is for local HD access but my area does not have local HD thru dish and now it seems it may be along time before it is here. Anybody know if they can charge that fee?

They can charge the HD enabling fee and they will. Why? Basically because they can. I think it was met as a way to get money from people who would lease a 722 but not HD. They cant recover the money as fast. Thus they made a new fee!

Charlie's Logic--in the voice of Ergen:(Not a quote; just fun impersonation knowing what Charlie would say)
Well, we subsidize the cost of the 722, even if you pay retail to own. It's costs us more to manufacture. If you subscribe to HD, then we are getting some of that money back. If you don't subscribe to HD, we need some way to get some of the money back, and so that is why you are charge $7 per month. But, I would say, that it makes a lot more sense for folks to go ahead and get our HD essentials for just a few dollars more, right, Jim? But you don't have to. But, I mean we're letting get a really sophisticated box for less than it costs us to manufacture, so $7 isn't too bad.

Reality Check:
Well, the subsidy argument may be true, however, all of them, cable, satellite, FiOS, Tivo, you name it, LOVE to find new ways to fee us with whatever they can come up with. Overall, I think Dish still has lower dollar total fees when compared with my local cable (Charter--$12-$15 DVR fee) and even Direct. However, Direct, in many situations, just has plain higher prices and may not feel the need to pile on the fees. Although, I read in a Direct TV print ad that a $9 HD access fee is charged.

Charlie's Logic--in the voice of Ergen:(Not a quote; just fun impersonation knowing what Charlie would say)
Well, we subsidize the cost of the 722, even if you pay retail to own. It's costs us more to manufacture. If you subscribe to HD, then we are getting some of that money back. If you don't subscribe to HD, we need some way to get some of the money back, and so that is why you are charge $7 per month. But, I would say, that it makes a lot more sense for folks to go ahead and get our HD essentials for just a few dollars more, right, Jim? But you don't have to. But, I mean we're letting get a really sophisticated box for less than it costs us to manufacture, so $7 isn't too bad.

Reality Check:
Well, the subsidy argument may be true, however, all of them, cable, satellite, FiOS, Tivo, you name it, LOVE to find new ways to fee us with whatever they can come up with. Overall, I think Dish still has lower dollar total fees when compared with my local cable (Charter--$12-$15 DVR fee) and even Direct. However, Direct, in many situations, just has plain higher prices and may not feel the need to pile on the fees. Although, I read in a Direct TV print ad that a $9 HD access fee is charged.
So are you saying that if I got the $10 HD pac that they would not charge the extra $7?

Correct. If you have ANY HD pack you do not get hit up for the $7 HD Enabling fee.

BTW the $7 fee in not for locals through Dish, it's for the ability to receive and record ATSC (Digital) local channels. If you subscribe to SD local channels the receiver will most likely include guide information for the over the air digital channels.

See ya
Tony

I just finished a chat online with d.. and they said as long as the 722 was the only receiver I used then they would not charge the $7 but if I had more then 1 receiver that they would charge $7

I just finished a chat online with d.. and they said as long as the 722 was the only receiver I used then they would not charge the $7 but if I had more then 1 receiver that they would charge $7

What the csr was talking about was the additional/leased receiver fees (charged on any receiver besides the first one on an accout). Confusing due to the Vip series both the HD access fee and the additional/leased receiver fee are both $7 per month.

The OP was talking about owning and not leasing. Would the same $7 enabling fee be applied if you owned your own receiver and didn't sub to HD?

From DISHNetwork.com:

"HD Enabling Fee

Customers with HD equipment who do not have an HD package will be charged a monthly $7.00 HD Enabling Fee.
(HD Enabling fee does not apply to 811's, 921's, 942's, 6000's or 5000's). Charged per account."

Doesn't say anything about leased or not. I'm sure they'd charge you either way.

The OP was talking about owning and not leasing. Would the same $7 enabling fee be applied if you owned your own receiver and didn't sub to HD?

Is does not matter on the ownership of it. If not subscribed to a HD pack then they charge $7. The lease fee is an additional $7 and applies if the 722 was not the primary receiver.

The HD Enabling Fee has nothing to do with the lease/own status. It is correct that you do not pay a separate Additional Access Fee (for owners), nor the lease fee (for those who lease) for the 1st box. In other words, after the 1st box, EVERYONE pays the same dollar amount for each additional box--HD boxes $1 more. Again, it is called the Additional Access Fee if you own, but titled Receiver Lease Fee if you lease. Dish has you covered either way. No one can escape this fee. Both the same but given different names. There is no advantage to leasing or owning regarding this fee.

HD Enabling Fee is only if you don't subscribe to HD services and has nothing to do with any other fees. So to repeat what others have said, for $3 more per month, you can get access to whatever HD Channels that HD tier and your equipment can receive receive. Of course, to get access to all channels that are due to you under whatever level of HD, you may need to be looking at 129 or 61.5

HD Enabling Fee is only if you don't subscribe to HD services and has nothing to do with any other fees. So to repeat what others have said, for $3 more per month, you can get access to whatever HD Channels that HD tier and your equipment can receive receive. Of course, to get access to all channels that are due to you under whatever level of HD, you may need to be looking at 129 or 61.5

I was slapped with the HD enabling fee on my new 722, even though I have had the $9.99 HD package for two years with my 811. I kept the 811 on my account(replaced a 311 in upstairs bedroom) because I was told that since I didn't have a dish pointing to 61.5, I would lose the HD pack if I took the 811 off my account. So now until I get a second dish up for 61.5, I'm being charged $9.99 for HD plus $7.00 for the HD enabling fee....

I was slapped with the HD enabling fee on my new 722, even though I have had the $9.99 HD package for two years with my 811. I kept the 811 on my account(replaced a 311 in upstairs bedroom) because I was told that since I didn't have a dish pointing to 61.5, I would lose the HD pack if I took the 811 off my account. So now until I get a second dish up for 61.5, I'm being charged $9.99 for HD plus $7.00 for the HD enabling fee....

Yes, I think I understand because the new rules are that the HD enabling Fee will get you only the premium movie channels in HD to which you subscribe and locals, provided you can see them. In my case, when I activated my first HD box without an HD tier and looking at 110, 119, and 148 (I was not getting any HD from 148), Dish charged me the, what was then, the $6 HD enabling fee, but, of course, all the premium movie services in HD that I could see, in this case only HBO and Showtime, were provided. If I wanted to view any of the other few HD services at 110/119 (my HD locals were at 129), I was to pay the then $20 HD package fee that was the only package available at that time as the $9.99 HD package was no longer being offered. Of course, I passed on the $20 HD Pack and waited to upgrade to look at 129, and subscribe to what would become the HD Ultimate. So, I only had to pay the $6 HD enabling for months and enjoy HBO and Showtime on HD.

It is most unfortunate that you are paying that much. Considering that you are already paying almost $20 per month anyway, you could make a modest investment and obtain a dish and LNBF for 61.5, then subscribe to HD Ultimate. Then you would at least be getting everything for almost the same amount of money you are paying now. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I would imagine if you rather pay the cancellation fee than the 7 dllr fee you can do it.. other than the contract no one is holding you on that..

its kinda like asking the government.. why should I pay for additional digital tv converters when i have more than 1 tv in my house..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts