Why should I stay with Dish Network and not go with Comcast?

andrewe77

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
I don't understand why dish thinks they can expect existing customers to pay $699 to purchase a 942 receiver! I also don't see how they expect new customers to pay a $250 non-refundable lease fee just to have the opportunity to use a 942 receiver.

Comcast has a promotion in my area where I can get an HDTV PVR, digital silver package, HBO (in HD as well), free installation, no lease fees for $29.99 for 16 months.

How does Dish expect to remain competitive?

I want my 942 for free just like I got my 522. I would even be willing to sign a contract for a year.

Hey dish! Get with the program or die!

If Comcast is such a great deal then you should switch. The 942 is a new receiver and they can't make them fast enough so why not charge and they can't give everthing away for free because they need to make money. Good luck with Comcast I am sure they will screw you in the end Cable always does.

rowemance said:
If Comcast is such a great deal then you should switch. The 942 is a new receiver and they can't make them fast enough so why not charge and they can't give everthing away for free because they need to make money. Good luck with Comcast I am sure they will screw you in the end Cable always does.

And Charlie NEVER screws his customers???

andrewe77 said:
Comcast has a promotion in my area where I can get an HDTV PVR, digital silver package, HBO (in HD as well), free installation, no lease fees for $29.99 for 16 months.
Go for it. You won't miss a thing. (Except for, perhaps, Superstations, Distant Networks, and the Cricket World Cup PPV in Punjabi.)

rowemance said:

I switched a few months ago and have been happy ever since, I would have stayed if they would at least give me the $250 deal for the 942 because I wanted to stay loyal but they would not.
Now that I have Comcast, I am glad E* did not give me that deal, picture is better on both the SD and HD ( and yes even on analog channels ), great lease deals on the 6412, upgrading the broadband to 6 Mbps at no extra charge, more channels for SD and HD, On-Demand programing at no extra charge, cheaper then E* even before the extra $25.00 off a month, etc, etc....yep, I feel screwed over.

GaryPen said:
Go for it. You won't miss a thing. (Except for, perhaps, Superstations, Distant Networks, and the Cricket World Cup PPV in Punjabi.)

I have been thinking about making the switch ... although I would miss
the superstations and the distant nets.. Do you know if you have to have
an additional package to keep JUST Nets and Supers? I couldn't do without
the Mets on the weekend and it's nice to early timeshift and watch live events live on the east coast.

Sam

We almost jumped at a Comcast offer last week. Everything I get w/ E* plus a leased HD-DVR, all my locals in HD, Starz and CM HD channels, and ten bucks off of our broadband internet bill. The total was considerably less than I pay now for E*. The rub was it was only for 12 months and it wasn't clear what the bill would be afterward (my wife's main issue) and the fact that they still transmit about 60 channels via analog signal (my issue). Given the SD channel PQ variability with E* digital on our Sammy DLP, I wouldn't want to have to deal w/ the PQ degradation of an analog signal on a DLP.

However, Comcast is supposed to be all digital by January. If so, we will definitely look at the promotional offers at that time. It would also help Comcast if they had HDNet, but everything is a compromise.

I had considered a switch to Comcast as an option. I was tired of the slow DSL speed I was getting from Verizon, so I went with Cable Broadband... To offset the higher costs of cable I dumped Verizon as wireline and now have Voice over IP, which I must say is actualy better than wireline... BUT back to tv: My plan was since I have basic cable now, to dump my locals since they are duplicates and possibly go back to the 120 pack... But... I am keeping my dish programming just as it is... The quality of the Dish programming is 10000 times better than Comcast. When I jump between the same channel on each there is just no comparison. So I just hooked up a diplexor and have my satellite and basic cable as a backup... The kids like the pbs channel and I like the local weather... other than that its always dish.

In the end: Comcast might just have the better deal, but remember, you always get what you pay for. Comcast has some of the highest prices out there.... If they are cheaper on something, you can better believe that it is cheap for a reason.

TIPS: When switching to cable service, be sure to: (1) Make sure there is a 30-day happiness clause of some sort offered by the cable service provider; (2) Don't cancel Dish for 30 days; (3) Compare picture quality of Dish vs. cable by switching input sources on the same channel -- examples: use SciFi for SD comparison and Discovery HD Theater for HD comparisons -- also, be sure to compare the PQ of SD locals as cable often delivers them in analog, not digital; (4) Scrutinize the HD-DVR unit they give you -- look for cheesy low-res menu graphics, slow channel changing and hicups when moving from SD to HD content.

Cable varies considerably from area to area in both picture quality and HD-DVR useabilty.

Charter in my area offered on helluva deal money-wise for the first year, but they only had two locals in HD (the rest were analog and they looked BAD compared to Dish), their Scientific Atlanta HD8000 DVR was a slow and buggy piece of crap with Atari 400 graphics, their HD channels were all softer than the razor sharp picture I have with Dish, and even the digital SD channels were significantly softer.

However, keep in mind that cable in your neck of the woods might offer equivalent PQ to Dish and a better HD-DVR. Who knows? That's why you need to try it out on a 30-day plan and compare simultaneously apples-to-apples with Dish before giving Dish the boot.

Oh, yes, and you think Dish CSRs are clueless?

Wait until you have to deal with cable company customer service! The sales reps are strictly separated from the install crew and the customer cannot speak to an install technician with Charter. It took me three install appointments to get my cable TV service running as each time they came without needed parts. And, they did not reschedule for me automatically -- I had to call myself and wait on hold forever and then they wouldn't expedite my next appointment even tho the need for the new appointment was their own fault, not mine.

With Dish, the hold times are shorter and I can talk directly with TECHNICAL SUPPORT staff at any time without having to go through the clueless sales team first. With Dish, I politely begged for and got a 942 lease. With Dish, my picture quality is always spectacular. With Dish, my 942 changes channels quickly, has a beautiful on-screen programming guide and hasn't locked up on me yet.

Sometimes the grass can look greener on the other side of the fence -- just make sure you have 30 days to closely examine that grass before you burn your present yard.

Best of luck.

I would gladly stay with E* if I could send back my 522 and get a 942 for free. I'd even be willing to sign a 1 year contract.

I sent an email to the ceo address with my offer so we'll see what their response is.

After 16 months with Comcast, I'll probably go back to E* but I'm really hoping that SBC has their 2Wire box ready to go in my area.

GaryPen and other folks:

Andrew's original post at the top of the thread did not indicate that there was no commitment of any kind.

It is appropriate to advise one to simply be sure they can terminate a new service without penalty -- some outfits even offer a 30-day trial with a full refund of charges if not happy.

With cable picture quality and DVR functionality so variable across the nation, it is prudent to be cautious before pulling the plug on Dish. Some cable service providers offer picture quality equal to Dish, some do not. Some cable service providers offer rock solid HD-DVRs that function perfectly, some do not. Some cheerfully offer free hardware upgrades as they become available, some do everthing they can to talk you out of it.

I was offered the "$29 ex-satellite owner" offer (or sometihing very similar) by Charter. I ultimately used their offer in my communications with Dish in convincing them to allow me to lease a 942. I did, however, try out their service and found it very lacking:

1. Inability to speak with install crew prior to appointment.

2. Three install appointment needed as they did not have parts needed because I was not allowed to speak with them ahead of time. Had to reschedule each time myself and was forced back to the end of the installation line even tho the install issue was their fault. Their whole attitude was typical of the 'tude I had when I had Comcast meny years ago -- we don't really give a rat's arse about the customer.

3. Longer telephone hold times than with Dish.

4. Softer SD and HD picture quality than with Dish.

5. Many channels analog, not digital. All Dish channels digital. So much for the big lie called "digital cable".

6. Even the 5.1 surround sound was superior with Dish, especially on the Voom channels.

7. HD8000 DVR very slow to change channels -- especially when moving from SD to HD channels.

8. HD8000 DVR buggy -- lots of lockups and reboots needed.

9. HD8000 programming guide used crude 8-bit graphics similar to the old Atari 400 computer/game console (for those who remember those days).

10. Asked to upgrade to HD8300 unit in May four months after it became available nationwide, but my local Charter franchise said I couldn't get one.

11. When I returned my HD8000 to their office and cancelled my service one week later, they had a HD8300 unit hooked to their office TV showing Discovery HD Theater -- yet still said I couldn't have one for the foreseeable future.

My 942 delivers brilliant picture quality that is superior to the 811 I used to have. My 942 does not lockup. My 942 has a beautiful and fast programming guide. Dish customer service hold times are reasonable and, in my experience at least, Dish customer service has shown flexibility and respect toward existing customers.

Once again, cable varies from area to area. My experience was suboptimal compared to Dish. Another person's cable experience may be superior as frachise management style and policies vary tremendously across the country.

Who knows? Maybe in a couple of years my Charter franchisee will have gotten its management act together and offer a clearly superior experience to Dish. For now, however, Dish is the way to go in my area.

Finally, I will reiterate that the grass can often seem greener on the other side of the fence -- whether it's a new content service provider or a new job offer. As long as one leaves the backdoor open in some fashion before burning their existing lawn, they'll be fine.

Best of luck.

As it's been said many times, since each cable companies quality can vary from system to system, even within the same system, your experience won't match what someone else has. The same can be said for E* customers when it comes to that systems hardware. All you need to do is scan the posts and see one person is ready to dump the (fill in the STB model number here) in the lake while someone else says their STB is perfect. The only way you can tell is to get the service, and since cable rarely has any commitment associated with it, try the service and decide for yourself and forget all the other comments about their cable experience since they really don't matter.

Ok, my Comcast (Metro Detroit ) service is great, SD and HD picture beats out E* very easy, and if you do not believe me, Ken H, the main HDTV guy at AVS says the same because he also lives in the Detroit Area.

Prices if I had the same thru E* as I get from Comcast-
E*-Top 180 w/ locals-$52.99
E HD Pack-$9.99
HBO/Cinemax-$17.00
942 fee-$250.00 divide by 16 months=$15.65 a month
+ DVR fee-$5.00 a month
Extra 2 STBs-$10.00 a month
Total-$110.63

Comcast-
Digital Gold w/HBO/Cinemax and the HD channels-$81.99
HD-DVR Rental-$9.95 a month for a 6412-works great, no problem at all.
1 HD Box-$5.00
1 SD Box-included in the Digital package price
Total-$96.94

I also get after that the -$25.00 a month for leaving DBS deal for 16 months, and 6 Mbps Broadband for only $42.95 a month since I get Cable TV.

The biggest thing is no $250.00 just for the right to lease a 942, and I would have to fight for that deal since I was not a new sub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)