Why So Rude Towards New Members?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My two cents worth.

I think that this forum is comprised of excellent members, moderators and sponsors with a lot of talent, information and great ideas as well as an honest desire and willingness to help others and especially freshmen (and ladies, too).

This hobby is meant to be fun and enjoyable, but since this is a public forum, we also must beware that there are individual personalities involved here and so we must always be on our best behavior with everyone.

What one might think to be a simple remark, possibly even a humorous poke or jab with a wink of an eye ;), may be misconstrued as a negative comment to the recipient. Since we type our responses and cannot rely upon inflection or tone of our voice in speaking, nor any body language, we must assume that the party we are speaking to does not know us personally and therefore could not know or understand our specific sense of humor or our personal mannerisms. Therefore, be as polite as you can at all times, but also consider the words you chose while trying to be polite.

Of course, I am reminded of the song...

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
But, no one recognized me, I didn't look the same

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

People came from miles around, everyone was there
Yoko brought her walrus, there was magic in the air
over in the corner, much to my surprise
Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise

lot-in-dah-dah-dah, lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Played them all the old songs, I thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same
I said hello to "Mary Lou", she belongs to me
When I sang a song about a honky-tonk, it was time to leave

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
Now, if you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck

And it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

And it's all right now, learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

Duut-da-do-do-do-do-dooo

Thought I would sneak that in there to lift some of the heaviness over this subject.

RADAR

Last edited:
Nice song, Radar! Someone has to step up with a poetry piece to bring us to a Stairway to Haven together. :up

Brian suggestions are welcome. I would recommend a dedicated Thread or Page to

• Help new members understand the rules of this forum before asking or posting.
  • Prepare a "Frequently Asked Questions" list specifically for people coming out of the dark to the light.
  • Suggested links to allow these users to bring their receivers to usable factory default status.
  • Suggested links to LNBF/Antenna/Motors needed to receive true FTA programming.

Maybe add a "Repentance" page where an "Honorary Satelliteguys Solemn Oath" is taken to stay on the true FTA path and not deviate :D

WOW! This thread was started with only one single request:

"Please be more considerate and understanding towards new members and the SatelliteGuys forum will once again be known as a great, friendly community that promotes the reception of free to air programming!"

This sounds like the Satellite Guys forum is no longer known as a great, friendly community that promotes the reception of free to air programming.

I don't see anything to be offended about in this. Nevertheless, I take exception - meaning: I simply disagree. I saw that comment as casting a shadow on everyone for what I consider a bump in the road that is common in even the best of Internet communities...

Maybe I would feel differently if my customer had complained. But having been in the retail field many moons ago, there's no way to know if the exchange referenced (we haven't seen it) was clearly abusive, or if the customer was a bonehead. Maybe the guy was like a banned poster, who I won't name. That's why I asked for more info. (and was chided for that too.)

In this thread I see much more expression of support and being welcomed than hearing, "Hey I got beat up also and think Sat Guys is a mean place."

On this topic I see things like what melgarga has expressed. IMO, don't beat them up, but don't kid glove the mention of "burglary tools" either.

All our Brian is asking for is courtesy to new members and that does not seem unreasonable. :cool:

More said than that was said. See above.

....What is very inconcise is the actual law on so called "signal theft"
So called? Inconcise? I suggest this view is misinformed. Well, maybe "signal theft" is not the best phrase to call the issue. Rather, you could call it by the US Code definitions. (see here) - near the end

Dish Network is not so clean itself, it is public record they have had to pay over $100m out in litigation.
Whether this is true or not, I believe it is irrelevant. EDIT: Irrelevant to this discussion.

Suppose you were in front of a judge in a case where you were charged with speeding. To me that sounds like telling the judge, "But people were passing me when the cop tagged me..."

Last edited:

So called? Inconcise? I suggest this view is misinformed. Well, maybe "signal theft" is not the best phrase to call the issue. Rather, you could call it by the US Code definitions. ...........Suppose you were in front of a judge in a case where you were charged with speeding. To me that sounds like telling the judge, "But people were passing me when the cop tagged me..."

Yes there are different issues here.

A company or individual that produces hacking software to sell is certainly liable to prosecution.The law/codes may not be too specific but the company/individual is on a loser.

A total egghead individual capable of re-engineering the algorithms and reading and inserting codings totally in their home without any external help is not liable, under current legilation US or Europe. If that info is then shared however, the above applies.

I have been in the legal satellite business (see profile) for many years and I only know of 3 people that capable and none are in the US.
All so called hacking in the past was done with the help of leaks, and the broadcaster releasing information normally near card change times. This was done as marketing ploy to get people hooked and it certainly worked.

I don't call $100m for "signal stealing" by Dish irreleveant, it was just a statement not an excuse.

Sorry I'm going off the subject a little here
:cool:

Re-engineering? Or, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design"]Clean room design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]?

When you look at the example of IBM PC Clone BIOS reverse engineering, that was a legal activity. If this is in the sense where you refer to the egghead individual, why wouldn't it be legal to sell products so created?

I suppose one could argue this is all going over my head. But which $100m judgement/settlement against Dish network are referring to? (there are so many...)

Nothing to be sorry about. This thread is begging to be hijacked and or closed....

I agree that this thread outleaved its active duty time. We're all seems to be on the way to reabilitation by now. The point is proven, and its time to close the curtain.

Well, I want to say that *everyone* here has been exceptionally kind, considerate, polite and well mannered, in my opinion.

Honestly, I was shocked.

Typically my experience online is that men either flat out ignore me or ply me with sexually charged requests, IE requests to see my boobies. :mad:

It's especially bad on forums that are male dominated, like technical stuff, anything to do with operating systems, DIY stuff, repairing things (anything), etc..

On average (at other sites) my questions are 100% ignored and go unanswered. For the most part, it's a huge waste of my time to seek help with just about anything.
Men get very angry when I invade their territory, IE their "p*ssing grounds"

The sexual harassment I often receive, well, that's just wrong. But I'm used to it.

I do want to make it very clear that on this board *everyone* has been very helpful and respectful. I deeply appreciate that. I wish you guys would give lessons to the rest of the world on how to be civil and respectful.

Thank you all, I love you guys! :angel:

I was wrong! Interesting turn on women rights issue. It looks like not all speakers feel the topic was fully pronounced. In this case, may I suggest for the next speaker to consider addressing racial discrimination prevention and encoraging age diversity? Love to FTA topic must be tought from childhood. :)

Last edited:
I'm going to close the thread as the issues have been resolved and I think we all agree on helping new folks out (and use the report button if you see something that should be looked at)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)