Why stay with voom? Get HD DirecTV Tivo!

W

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
1,855
0
Portland, Oregon
Excellent thread. In fact, we should add it to the FAQ's:

Q: Why stay with voom? Get HD DirecTV Tivo!

A: See Post #4 of this thread:

Sean Mota said:
A few channels that are still missing as of today:

Starz-HD
Encore-HD
TMC-HD
TNT-HD
Cinemax-HD

and I'll throw in for those who care:
Playboy-HD
FNS-FLHD
FNS-CLVHD (Soon)

I'll put the 21 Exclusives against HDnet and HDnet Movies (in my case these are hyped up too much).

Where's INHD 1 & 2? Get them and WOW me (I know VOOM does not have it either).

Why pay $1000 for Tivo? I won't and on top of that pay a subscription.

Yeah, D* has NLF Sunday Ticket in HD: I don't care to pay $200 for it. I get NBC-HD, ABC-HD, CBS-HD, WB-HD, PBS-HD, and soon (Fox-HD) + ESPN-HD will get me my Football HD fix.

There you go the reasons I won't change until D* matches and surpasses these options. Not enough to entice me, at least, yet.
 
DarrellP

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
With all the posts about how crappy PQ is on D*'s HD channels, I wouldn't switch if they gave me a HDPVR. If you don't believe me, go to AVSForums HD Program forum and search. It seems D* is using a variable bitrate with stat muxing and when there is action on one channel, the channel sharing the same transponder goes to hell in a handbasket. Unless D* can fix these issues, I will never join thier ranks.
 
D

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
1,887
0
occammd said:
I had heard there might be a MPG4 rollout?

MPG4 or WM9 rollout for SD First Quarter 2005, and HD THird Quarter 2005, supposed to give them double the SD Capacity and hopefully 50 HD channels by end of 2005.
 
O

occammd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 19, 2004
397
0
I was talking about D*, is that what you're referring to DVLOS?
 
D

deArgila

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2004
151
0
DarrellP said:
With all the posts about how crappy PQ is on D*'s HD channels, I wouldn't switch if they gave me a HDPVR. If you don't believe me, go to AVSForums HD Program forum and search. It seems D* is using a variable bitrate with stat muxing and when there is action on one channel, the channel sharing the same transponder goes to hell in a handbasket. Unless D* can fix these issues, I will never join thier ranks.

You see the same complaints here. In fact, I suspect that's what your "up the Bandwidth, Voom" on your signature is all about.

;)
 
D

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
1,887
0
Oh no I was talking about V*. D* is also rumored heavily to be trying to go to MPEG4
 
W

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
1,855
0
Portland, Oregon
DarrellP said:
With all the posts about how crappy PQ is on D*'s HD channels, I wouldn't switch if they gave me a HDPVR. If you don't believe me, go to AVSForums HD Program forum and search. It seems D* is using a variable bitrate with stat muxing and when there is action on one channel, the channel sharing the same transponder goes to hell in a handbasket. Unless D* can fix these issues, I will never join thier ranks.

100% agree. My choices are (in this order):

1) VOOM
2) Comcast
3) E*
4) D*
 
rtt2

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
903
0
Dvlos not trying to get involved but if your inlaws are not getting the 6 months free HD promotion and they havve the HD package now; you should hook them up. Save them the 10.99 a month now and be a hero.
 
DarrellP

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
deArgila said:
You see the same complaints here. In fact, I suspect that's what your "up the Bandwidth, Voom" on your signature is all about.

;)
You got that right. ;) But at least it's consistent with V*, I don't know if they are using a constant bitrate or not. The complaints with D* is since they use stat mux, the PQ jumps all over the board, you never know on HBO or HDNET what the PQ will be like from minute to minute, it all depends on what's on the other channel. :no
 
W

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
1,855
0
Portland, Oregon
DarrellP said:
You got that right. ;) But at least it's consistent with V*, I don't know if they are using a constant bitrate or not. The complaints with D* is since they use stat mux, the PQ jumps all over the board, you never know on HBO or HDNET what the PQ will be like from minute to minute, it all depends on what's on the other channel. :no
Interesting, I wonder what would happen if all channel broadcast hi speed sports at the same time. Perhaps one of the D* birds crashes :eek: :shocked
 
D

deArgila

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2004
151
0
DarrellP said:
You got that right. ;) But at least it's consistent with V*, I don't know if they are using a constant bitrate or not. The complaints with D* is since they use stat mux, the PQ jumps all over the board, you never know on HBO or HDNET what the PQ will be like from minute to minute, it all depends on what's on the other channel. :no


So, you're argument is that since Voom's PQ is consistently lacking, that's better than D* because there's is only lacking some of the time and on some of the channels?

Ok. Got it.
 
DarrellP

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
Walter L. said:
100% agree. My choices are (in this order):

1) VOOM
2) Comcast
3) E*
4) D*
Walter, do you have Comcast? I can't get it in Woodburn, just wondering how their PQ stands up to sat?
 
W

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
1,855
0
Portland, Oregon
DarrellP said:
Walter, do you have Comcast? I can't get it in Woodburn, just wondering how their PQ stands up to sat?
Before VOOM, I subscribed to Comcast digital + HD package for a couple of months. I had a lot of pixelation on digital and noise on analog channels. I called for service a couple of times. Their response was always the same: "we're currently working on improvements to better serve your area, unfortunately that it's causing temporary problems".
Yeah, temporary problems that lasted for months :p Ironically, tHose days, I subscribed to aPortland Comcast thread at AVS and other people were reporting excellent PQ.
Finally, I gave up and went VOOM.
I guess the answer to your question is that PQ on Comcast (or cable in general) significantly varies from one neighborhood to another.
 
DarrellP

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
deArgila said:
So, you're argument is that since Voom's PQ is consistently lacking, that's better than D* because there's is only lacking some of the time and on some of the channels?

Ok. Got it.
Yes! :D I would rather watch what Voom provides than see-saw back and forth never knowing what was going to show up. Dish has been screwing around with HDNET/HDNET Movies lately and it totally pisses me off when I tune in and the image is soft. Like D*, it can change midstream from one scene to another, it's very irritating. I want the window effect on every channel, every day, every minute of the day, period. :yes
 
M

martin21

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 27, 2004
56
0
Fairfield County CT
D* vs. VOOM

Sean Mota said:
A few channels that are still missing as of today:

Starz-HD
Encore-HD
TMC-HD
TNT-HD
Cinemax-HD

and I'll throw in for those who care:
Playboy-HD
FNS-FLHD
FNS-CLVHD (Soon)

I'll put the 21 Exclusives against HDnet and HDnet Movies (in my case these are hyped up too much).


Sean is understating the case for VOOM. It's true that D* has HBO and SHO but it is only one each, whereas VOOM has a multiple of each. I had D* and cancelled (even after a $400 plus investment). What D* is doing is providing an HD appetizer (about 7 HD channels) and not the main course. They are doing just enough to help protect their customer base against HD competition. I am keeping D* because I have two D* Tivos, D* provides numerous pay per view movies and excellent SD picture quality. VOOM SD sucks! At some point, one or the other will have to go beecause I am not going to keep paying for two providers.
 
D

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
1,887
0
Whoah peak your dish, check your coax, Voom has great SD so does D* they are virtually identical and are better than the Comcast Digital cable here in S. Fla.
 
Z

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 30, 2004
206
0
Long Island, NY
I cant understand why people make a big deal about D* one year contract. My contract says if I cancel within a year, send back all of the equipment and I wont be charged anything! If I dont send back the boxes, then I get charged $150. So what? I could sell the boxes on ebay and recoup the $150. Not only that, the $150 is prorated and decreases by $12.50/month.

Is this really the "handcuffs" people are talking about?
 
R

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 29, 2004
188
0
Oh please! You cant compare D*'s, what, 4 or 5 HD channels compared to vooms massive selection all in HD. And I'm not even talking the vavavoom package, which is worth every cent. D* "may" add "some" HD channels, but most if not all will be sports themed. I'd rather have vooms commercial-free movies!!!
So go out and buy a $1000 D* HD dvr to tape those 4 channels.
 
Z

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 30, 2004
206
0
Long Island, NY
:eek: This thread is getting Nasty!!!

A battle royal !!! 30,000 Voomers against 13 million D* subs !!
 

Similar threads

W
Replies
32
Views
4K
Voomster
V
S
Replies
0
Views
1K
smeagal
S
B
Replies
7
Views
1K
Walter L.
W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top