Why subscribe to DISH???

dish522noe

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Why subscribe to DISH??? This is my personal opinion. I subscribe to DISH because I used to have cable. This cable company is worthless and won't upgrade its network. Few digital cable channels, no DVR, the prices goes up and up for few channels. They did not upgrade for years and I don't think they will upgrade because they are selling out.

I know that DH is not perfect but I could say that DH is way better than my local cable company. I had problems with DISH here and now, but I know I get more channels and DVR recording.

I originally lived in an area with 14 channels on cable (yes, 14)...this was around 96. Got Primestar and when Direct bought them, my area was Pegasuck.

Switched to Dish until I moved to an area where there were no dishes allowed (this was before SHVIA)....Got Dish in 2000 and havent looked back

still have them for locals...stripped everything else off the system. Really wasnt much on there :)

Why do I keep them??? At the cabin, there is zilch for TV (CBS and PBS OTA and they are fuzzy), so I kept Dish locals for there. Can't get cable at the lake and Direct won't let me have just locals :D

I jumped to Dish Network back in 96. We have Cox Cable in Gainesville FL here and before they went Digital they sucked. Most the channels would go from clear to having snow on them. The digital service has a great picture
as some of my friends have COX digital and HD service.

I've never looked back at switching to Dish since 96. I've done a price thing with the new COX digital service and it is simply too expensive plus COX gives you less channels then what Dish offers, and everytime COX adds a new channel they raise the price.

I keep Dish network because it costs less and now they have my locals, even though I have an outdoor antenna for the DT/HD feeds for my locals. Plus I have a grandfather waiver for CBS HD from NYC.

The bad thing with my OTA is our local CBS is owned by Pegasuck (Pegasus communications) and Pegasuck keeps delaying moving to a new high powered DT tower for which the FCC had given Pegasuck a permit. At the rate Pegasuck is going with the new tower I'm getting closer and closer to mounting my dish 300 in 61.5 location by my super dish to get CBS NYC HD back, which is still active on my account.

Why? Dish is the only place to find the Superstations. This year, that means 21 Yankees games and 50 Mets games, plus maybe a Red Sox game or two that slips under NESN's radar.

And Dish's prices stay competitive with DirecTV and better than cable. Dish has room for improvement, but I continue to stay with Dish.

I had D* and switched to E* because everytime D* added a channel they just put it anywhere they pleased. I dont know if they still do that but thats why I switched. I have had E* about 5 years now.

I second the motion for Dish for Super Stations.

With Direct TV in Omaha, Cox cable owns the UPN rights. There is no Over the Air UPN for Direct TV to carry and they dont do Super Stations.

If you want UPN you either get Cox cable or Dishnetwork. With Dish you get Two UPNs.

PS I will miss Star Trek on UPN if its canceled like there saying.

We still only have 22 analog channel cable that runs by my house and no high speed internet available. That is PATHETIC in this day and age. I am in between two towns 7 miles away that offers Charter which has a much better offering than Adelphia cable does here.

ScottChez said:
I second the motion for Dish for Super Stations.

With Direct TV in Omaha, Cox cable owns the UPN rights. There is no Over the Air UPN for Direct TV to carry and they dont do Super Stations.

If you want UPN you either get Cox cable or Dishnetwork. With Dish you get Two UPNs.

PS I will miss Star Trek on UPN if its canceled like there saying.
Why pay the extra for the Super Stations when UPN is part of your local stations? If you want them for the other channels, that's different.
You might want to read this thread.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56351

twillers said:
Why pay the extra for the Super Stations when UPN is part of your local stations? If you want them for the other channels, that's different.
You might want to read this thread.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56351

twillers
No. In Omaha, the cable company (Cox) is the owner of the UPN there. So he can't get UPN via DIsh unless he gets the Supers. UPN is "cable only" in Omaha.

Where I live (Duluth, MN), the WB is cable only and the UPN is a digital subchannel off NBC. So if I want WB &/or UPN programming, I need the Supers too.

The thread you posted is a totally different situation..He had Supers before "must carry" took effect (where ALL full power stations are carried..not just the Big 4)

Iceberg said:
twillers
No. In Omaha, the cable company (Cox) is the owner of the UPN there. So he can't get UPN via DIsh unless he gets the Supers. UPN is "cable only" in Omaha.

Where I live (Duluth, MN), the WB is cable only and the UPN is a digital subchannel off NBC. So if I want WB &/or UPN programming, I need the Supers too.

The thread you posted is a totally different situation..He had Supers before "must carry" took effect (where ALL full power stations are carried..not just the Big 4)
Sorry about that. When I went to the local channels at Dish website, it showed Omaha as an area that got the locals as did Duluth. What I didn't do was read the fine print at the bottom of the page. "Channels may vary by market"
I stand corrected.

I had cable but the wife wanted Turner Classic Movies. With cable in our area, it required Digital, a $13/mo upgrade. We weren't interested in any of the other channels and the $13 gave us TCM on only one TV unless we got more boxes.

D* didn't have the dual tuner boxes so would have cost me more so I went with E*.

twillers said:
Sorry about that. When I went to the local channels at Dish website, it showed Omaha as an area that got the locals as did Duluth. What I didn't do was read the fine print at the bottom of the page. "Channels may vary by market"
I stand corrected.

Yep…its really sad when we all pay the same price for locals (5.99 alacarte or 5.00 with a package), and each area gets different amounts of channels

Now I could say “LA & NY have over 20 and this area gets this many” but I won’t. I’ll use a legit comparison

Duluth, MN has 5 stations in its locals (no WB or UPN…reasons are above)
Minneapolis has 10 stations in its locals (big 4, 3 PBS, WB, UPN, Indy)

We both pay the same, but if I want WB & UPN I have to pay 8.99 (5.99 +1.50+1.50 for UPN and WB Supers). Is that fair? Not really

Some areas don’t have a WB or UPN for a reason (not available, cable only, or retrans agreement issue). Still the same price. Now, if one of the “Big 4” (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) is not available for retrans agreement issues, you get $1 discount until its available (when Duluth first came up, we had no CBS).

The oddball ones are when there is one network that isn’t available at all. An example is Cheyenne, WY. There was no NBC in the area, so they were able to substitute Denver’s NBC in the package. Now that NBC is available, new customers cannot

We switched to Dish from Qwest Choice TV Because we could still get most of the channels we wanted plus a DVR for about 5$ less per month. At the time Qwest didn't offer BYUTV. Qwest later offered it in an add on package for an additional $12/month so we're saving even more.
Cheapest price in town, that's the only reason we put up with their sub-par service.

It's the cheapest service available and the picture quality is better than on analog cable. Cable charges for locals, even if you have OTA and don't want them.

Since I pay yearly for AT60 in January, I always am locked in for another year at the price before the February price increase. Also, I get one month of programming for free. I can switch to whatever "owned" receiver that I want and change to another without the need for a new card or a commitment. I can resell the receiver, and the new owner does not have to pay or wait for the provider to send the buyer a new card. Since I get fantastic OTA (much better than Dish or Direct), I don't need to purchase locals. If do not want locals, Dish gives you a larger discount for not taking the locals.

Not sub par service for basic AT60. It is ultra reliable. The 2800 works almost flawlessly with a stand alone TiVo. Legacy twins and quads are the best. I have an old DirecTV 18 inch pan on my Dish500. No signal dropoffs except in heavy rain, like the standard pan.

Mike500 said:
If do not want locals, Dish gives you a larger discount for not taking the locals.

I forgot that i get my locals OTA now and hardly never use the Dish locals.. I will call them up and cancel my locals. They will probably tell me I can't though, knowing how Dish works...

Thanks for the tip though!

You're welcome. You can cancel them with no problem. I don't know, however, if they will charge a $5 downgrade fee.

Cable subsidizes locals for everyone. You can't buy any cable package without locals, even if you don't need or want them.

I've installed OTA HD in my area, and it is fantastic. I'm almost sure that cable or satellite HD locals will not be as good.

So, why pay for something that is free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)