Why such poor guide data?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

michaelbudney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
OK, I've had DTV, Dish, Adelphia, Voom and now back to DTV. While I like the service in general does it seem to anyone else the guide data is so brief and lacking in content it's just about useless?

I'm guessing there must be a technical reason to do with data size or guide performance.

What specific gripes do you have? I find the 14 day guide outstanding. And as stated, they buy the data from Tribune, so blame them for bad data.

What specific gripes do you have? I find the 14 day guide outstanding. And as stated, they buy the data from Tribune, so blame them for bad data.

1 major problem i have is it doesnt show if a show is a repeat....it gives the year of the show (2008) but when you get several months into the year it could be a 2nd showing by then....is it so hard to just say "repeat".

also it will say hd at times when the show really isnt in hd.

1 major problem i have is it doesnt show if a show is a repeat....it gives the year of the show (2008) but when you get several months into the year it could be a 2nd showing by then....is it so hard to just say "repeat".

also it will say hd at times when the show really isnt in hd.
The repeat issue - I can agree with that. Though I do see 'repeat' listed sometimes.

For the incorrect HD flag, blame Tribune, or more correctly, blame the network in question since they provide that data to Tribune who in turn provides it to D*.

OK, I've had DTV, Dish, Adelphia, Voom and now back to DTV. While I like the service in general does it seem to anyone else the guide data is so brief and lacking in content it's just about useless?

I'm guessing there must be a technical reason to do with data size or guide performance.

Well I have read posts from DirecTV subscribers that have said they have alot
more program information on their older DirecTV receivers and DirecTivos.So is
there a problem with the guide information on DirecTV's newer receivers and the DirecTV's DVR+'s?.I would have to say Yes!.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the receivers have different guide sources or versions they download. It's been a while since I've had a satellite provider so I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination. I used to work with these kinds of databases myself.

While the D* guide may have a few issues, it is a blessing compared to VZ FiOS. I left D* SD service for FiOS in Q4 2006 because of the HD offering they had, and just came back to D* last fall after we moved. There was not a day that went by while we had FiOS that my wife and I did not curse the guide service FiOS had. If you want to see jacked up guide info, go over someone's house that has that service. Their service often drops any type of description or rating or has a totally different description from what is actually playing. I can live with D*'s guide issues after that experience!

Have you tried hitting "More Info" after hitting the Info button on the remote? The first information screen that comes up after pressing the button is really short but if you then press "More Info" it is much more detailed.

I don't think E started showing the original air date info until after they started displaying that the guide info is provided by Tribune on screen. It is kind of like an ongoing advertisement for Tribune. Personally I like having that additional info and the didn't mind being reminded that the info was provided by Tribune. I'd like to see DTV add it too.

Perhaps the receivers have different guide sources or versions they download. It's been a while since I've had a satellite provider so I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination. I used to work with these kinds of databases myself.

They use the same sources. Some receivers display more of the information than others. The data is in there, just not visible. A good indicator that this information is available is the correct handling of series links, searches, etc.

Interesting that the data is there. I was wondering about the keyword searches. I get the feeling that they opt for enormous fonts over fitting more data on the screen.

For just browsing around though I found TV Guide does a nice listing for Direct TV. Too bad you car remote record from there.

Interesting that the data is there. I was wondering about the keyword searches. I get the feeling that they opt for enormous fonts over fitting more data on the screen.

For just browsing around though I found TV Guide does a nice listing for Direct TV. Too bad you car remote record from there.

They opted to keep the guide display as consistent as possible across all of their receivers/DVRs.

I have recent switched to D* from TWC and it really drives me crazy as well that the guide doesn't list the shows as "new" or "repeat". I guess it's something I have to get used to.

In the current CE software, D* now includes the original air date in the show description. This is a big help. Not sure when it will go national, but improvements are coming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)