Why such poor picture?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

savagea

Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Hi, I'm viewing Directv through a new 56" DLP tv. The picture quality is POOR to say the least. Through my smaller CRT's, it's fine. Now, the connection to the new DLP is S-Video, since that's the best connection I have out of my TIVO unit. I can't get the HD upgrade because of exposure problems... what do you think I should try to improve the picture? I think component video would look better, but I don't know of any non-HD receivers with this. Any other suggestions? Thanks! By the way, the best I can describe the video is "pixelated", and maybe just "blotchy".... if that makes any sense. Thanks again...

What the heck are "exposure problems"? You won't be happy with the image quality on your new HDTV until you get an HD receiver and start getting HD programming. It doesn't matter if you have Comcast, Charter, or any of the satellite companies. The new HDTVs just have so much detail, the make SD pictures look poor.

billbillw said:
What the heck are "exposure problems"? You won't be happy with the image quality on your new HDTV until you get an HD receiver and start getting HD programming. It doesn't matter if you have Comcast, Charter, or any of the satellite companies. The new HDTVs just have so much detail, the make SD pictures look poor.
Indeed

billbillw said:

He's probably only got LOS to 101, and not to the other sats. Nice way to greet a newbie, too! :mad:

hancox said:
Nice way to greet a newbie, too! :mad:

There is no need to beat around the bush. It is a very common complaint that HDTVs look like crap with the typical overcompressed SD programming that D*, Comcast, and others offer. HDTVs need HD programming!

Does anyone know if using an HD receiver, (without HD programming), for the purpose of connecting via HDMI would make a difference?

I have to agree; it is probably just the fact that you are watching a compressed signal which is optimized for a 27" set. When you go to a 56" set, the picture looks A LOT WORSE.

That being said, you can try tweaking the image to make it the best you can. I'd invest in the AVIA Calibration DVD, or Video Essentials DVD, and make sure your set is calibrated. www.avsforum.com is a great place to check for specific tweaking for your make & model (sorry, Scott). Also, contact your manufacturer. When I first purchased my Samsung DLP, they helped a lot in improving how well SD displayed on the TV (of course, HD was and always has been magnificent).

Good luck.

mmulet

An HD receiver, without HD programming, might look a little better, but unless it upconverts the signal, it won't be a lot better.

mmulet

You mean the receiver? Not in front of it now, but it's a Phillips TIVO unit. Not HD. I can find the model# tonight. BTW, same problem with my other standard Phillips NON-TIVO receivers.

Hdmi

I use the hdmi output on my 65 inch Mitsubishi and the picture is output in 480p, which puts out a good picture.

I had tried a D10 on the same set and was very disappointed in the picture quality.

Yes, using a HD receiver makes a big difference.

Haven't tried getting HD via OTA antenna, however when DirecTv was out, at quick glance they said "no way". I'm about 40miles away from a major city, and buried in the mountains. However if I could get the signal with an antenna, my tv has a built-in tuner, so I shouldn't need to purchase an HD receiver, correct?

savagea said:
Haven't tried getting HD via OTA antenna, however when DirecTv was out, at quick glance they said "no way". I'm about 40miles away from a major city, and buried in the mountains. However if I could get the signal with an antenna, my tv has a built-in tuner, so I shouldn't need to purchase an HD receiver, correct?

If you mean a built in ATSC (HD) tuner, then yes, you don't need HD receiver, but the nice part about D*'s HD receivers is that they combine satellite and OTA seamlessly. No switching inputs/tuners. Just scroll through the channels.

From the sounds of it, in the mountains and 40 miles away, you probably are out of luck for the time being. Check antennaweb anyway. They are pretty good at telling you what you can receive and they even consider the topography around your exact location. Good luck.

Thank you all very much for your help! I just may have to consider cable instead of satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts