Why the 722 temperature is so HOT ?

theinv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone knows what is in the left hand side of the receiver? It is hot even when it is idle. Will it cause problem in the long run? Are there anyways to cool it down?

Well, since this is a new model. They should have fixed the temperature issue before releasing it.

That's where the power supply is located. HDD is front center. Use a small fan (usb powered or 110v to pull hot air out of the left side. See aforementioned "Is your 622 hot?" thread.

Are you referring to the case or the air being vented out ?? If it's the vented air, be glad it's not still contained inside the unit.

Well, since this is a new model. They should have fixed the temperature issue before releasing it.

So it runs hot. Why assume this is a problem? It may not need "fixing." If you're worried, add the fan mentioned, or a notebook cooler, etc.

I recommend the same as Jim5506...side fans seem to be the most practical way to get the heat out of these 622/722.
laptop coolers are marginal at best in comparison IMO.

That's where the power supply is located. HDD is front center. Use a small fan (usb powered or 110v to pull hot air out of the left side. See aforementioned "Is your 622 hot?" thread.

Thanks. but where is the "Is your 622 hot?" thread? I can't find it. The search feature doesn't work for this kind of title either because the words are too short.

use a laptop cooler, i've been using one on my 622 for well over a year now.

also just because it's hot doesn't mean it's going to break, most computers run very hot and last for many many years.

This cooling issue exists with the ViP622, ViP722, 522 and 625. Bad design IMO.

It will be much happier if you remove the top cover and have plenty of room above for airflow, assuming you can keep objects, kids, pets from getting inside.

These are fine as long as they're in the open air. The manual clearly states they should not be placed in a closed cabinet.

I just with the installer would tell you that.

Mine initially kept shutting down from over heating. Had to leave the door open to the cabinet but that was just ugly.

Working fine now, with the cabinet closed, since I cut some airholes in the back of the cabinet and installed a fan to suck the heat out (I also did the laptop cooler thing and moved shelves around to give it the most room possible, including installing a separate shelf with holes in the bottom just for the 622).

The fan sucking the heat out of the cabinet I'm sure is more than enough (but it was the last option I tried, and the least simple).

This is the fan I used: Home Theater Cooling Home

Very quiet (unlike some others I've tried in the past from Radio Shack). I have it plugged into my switched plug of my audio receiver so it goes on whenever it's on. I still have to leave the door open though when everything's off as the dish receiver never really shuts down and still generates considerable heat. But this solution seemed to work for me.

How about a PCI Card Slot Fan?

I have a 622HZ that really struggles here in NV. I am using a laptop cooler which makes a big difference. I also have a PC Pancake fan pushing air into the back of cabinet that helps getting fresh air to the cooler pad.

The other day I found a PC fan that goes into a PCI Card Slot and directs air out of the back of a PC. It is only 1/2 thick. I pulled off the bracket, and double-sided taped the open intake side of the fan over the right side ( as you look at the box) vents on the 622HZ. It pulls air left to right through the box and jets it out the right front of the cabinet. I have cut the volts on both 12V PC fans to 9Vs which really quiets them down. I used wall bricks with variable outputs to do this.

My average temp has stayed at 40C since adding all three. I think the slot fan is actually the most effective. I am going to cut the other two loose, one at a time, to see what happens.

I bought the slot fan at Office Depot but here is a picture of one at Tiger:

Speeze Expansion Slot Rear Exhaust Cooling Fan 4F01B4 at TigerDirect.com

Here's a page with several cheap ones:

PCI Fans at Xoxide.com - PCI Fans

Last edited:
My 625 was fine, my 722 is hot in the same place. Go figure. :)

The new 722 was rebooting over and over again from heat I think. I opened the back of the cabinet and it seems ok now. I'll probably get the fan from above to help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts