Why there's no one satellite on Ku band that has all local channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

enb141

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Central America
I know there's a lot of feeds of those local channels, ABC, CBS, Telemundo, Univision, etc. but my question is why there's no singal from those channels on one satellite in Ku band you know with the main feed of those channels not the local ones so that would be good for people that lives out of the cities and want those channels on a satellite without going to the Dish/DirectTV route.

Well, for one, if you don't live "in the market"(DMA) you're not entitled to them. Even on the pizza's you can only subscribe to the locals "in your market" There are circumstances where you may be eligible for "stations not in your DMA) Some cable systems carry stations from neighboring DMA's(wish mine was one) see#3 at www.fcc.gov/guides/television-broadcast-stations-satellite EDIT: Paragraph deleted as it got a bit political, but I would be in favor of this policy being dropped.

NBC is on 103W KU but in DVB-S2

as for why not on KU? There are better ways to transmit national feeds. If I needed to transmit a signal across the US so multiple affiliates could grab it I would go with C-Band...less interference/rain issues than KU has

...and the fact that these feeds are not there for end-users anyway. We just get to "piggy-back" along when they're not encrypted. :)

Exactly that's what I was talking about, Ku band like in europe and like those NBC ones but not just NBC so that satellite could add CBS, ABC, etc. That would be great to have it in Ku as in europe.

Yes-the networks expect you to get their channels from a pay source,be it satellite or cable.They figure the signal itself is worth something.
Remember the good ole days when a local channel was glad to get on a local cable system.No a days,they are actually charging the same systems for the signal.
This is the main reason,I believe,most "pay" channels are scrambled.They want money from you,if you watch them.The advertisers alone are not enough for their greedy little minds.
DTV and Dishnet have both had issues with larger channel providers holding them hostage for big ,unfair,price increases.They figure they are worth more---until they find that the hostages will indeed drop the programming rather than give in to their demands.I'm thankful for the work these provides have done to keep the cost of programming from going sky high,and putting these providers in their place.
(Ramble)Anyway,I think you get my point.
Days gone by,you could wath tv for free.Those days are over for the most part.But hey---If you want the networks,put up a nice outdoor tv antenna.I get all local channels,and several out of market channels,several HD-All free.
Woo Hoo------------

I also think like Iceberg, I hope one they this side of the planet start using satellites as in europe in where you could choose your hardware that fits your pockets and you get paid and free channels from Ku.

I hope our dreams come true one day.

Yes-the networks expect you to get their channels from a pay source,be it satellite or cable.They figure the signal itself is worth something.
Remember the good ole days when a local channel was glad to get on a local cable system.No a days,they are actually charging the same systems for the signal.
This is the main reason,I believe,most "pay" channels are scrambled.They want money from you,if you watch them.The advertisers alone are not enough for their greedy little minds.
DTV and Dishnet have both had issues with larger channel providers holding them hostage for big ,unfair,price increases.They figure they are worth more---until they find that the hostages will indeed drop the programming rather than give in to their demands.I'm thankful for the work these provides have done to keep the cost of programming from going sky high,and putting these providers in their place.
(Ramble)Anyway,I think you get my point.
Days gone by,you could wath tv for free.Those days are over for the most part.But hey---If you want the networks,put up a nice outdoor tv antenna.I get all local channels,and several out of market channels,several HD-All free.
Woo Hoo------------
What a rant.

i get abc on c-band, nbc on c-band with kcwy or k-band 72w but have not found cbs yet. i think i have found fox on a missouri station but forget which one, it is on c-band. charlie

Southofi, the networks used to comp(ensate) the local channels to carry their programs. Then it started turning around about 20+ years ago (I think it was around 20). Anyway the locals now pay the networks for the programs so they want their purchase protected (basically a local Franchisee that pays for exclusive rights in a market).

To the original question, they exist on ku but they are scrambled in order to get the user to buy them. Another possible reason you will not see unscrambled networks on Ku but can find them on C, urban households are not willing to put up a Bud in their yard, or on their condo balcony, while a ku dish is acceptable. In Caracus, high-rise apartments are littered with pizza dishes.

Remember the good ole days when a local channel was glad to get on a local cable system.Nowadays,they are actually charging the same systems for the signal.
Years ago there were "must carry" rules for cable companies, forcing them to carry locals.
What a difference now.I would be glad to get the networks on ku fta,since I can't get them ota.

i have a 6' dish and next spring have the 8' to put up. but i do have a dvbworld dvb-s2 usb2104 2.0. might be able to get codecs for it? have had it for a while but havn't played with it yet. did finally tune in g17 with it but got lost in trying to go through the menus. charlie

I also want to be able to get those channels on ku instead of antenna, the locals here have those bragging lawyer ads that drive me nuts. Like that hupy one with william shatner. Absolutely irritating when its played 3 times in one commercial break.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)