Why upgrade to Superdish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
It looks like there's an offer from Dish to upgrade to superdish.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/offers/superdish_upgrade/index.shtml

Does anybody know what are the advantages of having a superdish as oposed to the regular dish? After the PURE HELL :mad: I went with dish when I did the dish mover deal I really want to avoid at all costs any further contact with them, unless it's something, really, really, much better.

F

korsjs said:
If your locals are on 105 or 121, if you want foreign programming and there is a possibility HD will be moved to 105.

Thanks. Right now I actually have already two dishes up there (in order to get some locals and international programing) but I think they're picking up, I think, 121 and 148. Not sure if it can currently pick up 105. Hmmm, maybe I should go ahead and call dish anyway and see if the offer is still good..

F

If you don't have a big WIDE dish, you are NOT getting 121. Most likely, it's 148. Use you Point Dish screen to find out.

Note the fine print on that offer - it's only if you need a SuperDish for your programming.

I needed to upgrade to DishPro (so I can eventually get a DP+44), so I went ahead and threw up a SuperDish. Im hoping Dish will eventually offer some HD on 105 like they orginally planned.

I picked up a brand-new SuperDish (w/ DP34) on eBay for $75+$25/shipping.

SimpleSimon said:
If you don't have a big WIDE dish, you are NOT getting 121. Most likely, it's 148. Use you Point Dish screen to find out.

Note the fine print on that offer - it's only if you need a SuperDish for your programming.

Well, I call them also and the offer is gone. Now, if they're planning on offering more HD channels on 105 and most people can't get it with their current dishes I wonder if they'll bring the offer back?

F

HD on 105° USED to be the plan until AMC2 crapped out on them. They may still plan on HD at 105° after AMC12 gets there, but I doubt it.

105° is nearly full with locals already! There's no where for HD to go.
Dish has transponders 1-24 (all that is available in FSS) Here is what is on them now:
(This count includes stations uplinked and not yet available as of 9/6/04. The bold listings have room for another city's locals)

1 Chattanooga (7), some of South Bend (5)
2 Bristol (6)
3 most of Greensboro, NC (6)
4 Norfolk (8) and one Sioux City station
5 Topeka (5), Columbia SC (7)
6 El Paso (10)
7 Richmond (7), "You have 105 SuperDish slate and 44 hour EPG
8 Quincy (5), Evansville (7)
9 some of Charleston WV (4), Columbus, OH (7) and one Quincy station
10 Charlottesville (4), Panama City (4), Charleston, SC (6)
11 Baltimore (7) Tupelo/Columbus, MS (5)
12 Peoria (6) Augusta (6)
13 Sioux City (5) Wichita/Hutchinson (7)
14 Savannah (6) some of South Bend (3) some of Greensboro, NC (2)
15 Columbia, MO (6) Dayton (6)
16 Champaign (10)
17 Albany, GA (6) Lincoln (6)
18 Scranton (6)
19 Monroe LA (7) Greenville, NC (5)
20 Montgomery (7) Florence (5)
21 Macon (6) Joplin (5)
22 Mobile (7) the rest of Charleston WV (5)
23 Davenport (7) Ft. Smith (5)
24 Charleston SC (6)

Nice post, Tony. If I might ask for you to expound a little bit as to where the additional bandwidth for HD might be found, that'd be nice.

Maybe the new 110 bird with more spotbeams will free up a transponder or two?

What's available for use on 61.5/148? Does E* have the space there for things like NBC, ABC, FOX east & west HD feeds?

Your great site at http://www.dishchannelchart.com/ has most of the necessary info, but maybe you've already got the raw data mashed? :)

Simon,

Just a quick glance at the channel chart shows me the following:
At 110°
transponder 5 has Roanoke and Little Rock locals that should go to spot beam
transponder 12 has Lexington and lnoxville locals that should go to spot beam
transponder 14 has Jackson, MS locals and the Denver "DishNets" that are definitely going to spot beam.
Transponder 16 has all the Atlanta locals. Many of these are going to spot beam, but not all.
Transponder 20 has Springfield, MO locals and Chicago Dishnets. So between tp 16 and 20 one could be cleared off completely with Sprfld going to spots. So I count a max of 4 transponders available there once E*10 gets up and running. Also remember that you need to convert some ConUS transponders to Spots as well

At 119° No room at the inn. I see a couple of stations that could be removed to a spot beam if there is room for NYC (WXTV, WNET). But that's it. The spots are full, the ConUS Tps are MORE than full.
121° This is mostly internationals and locals and there's lots of room left, but only one TP truly open.

1 Traverse City (5)
2 Lansing (6)
3 Syracuse (6)
4 International and BTV (10)
5 International (8)
6 International (11)
7 Albany, NY (1) Wausau (5)
8 Ft. Wayne (6)
9 Fargo (6)
10 Boise (6) ½Flint (4)
11 Rochester, NY (5) Lacrosse (5)
12 Missoula (5) ½Flint (3)
13 Madison (6) Rockford (4)
14 Albany, NY (6) Providence (6)
15 International (10)
16 International (9)
17 (EMPTY)
18 Portland, ME (7)
19 Molwaukee (9)
20 International (12)
21 International (9)
22 Green Bay (7)
23 Youngstown (5)
24 Toledo (5)
25 Empty
26 International (8)
27 International (9)
28 Wichita Falls (4)
29 New Orleans (9)

Keep in mind that many of the internationals at 121 are mirrors of 61.5°/148° so Dish can make a ton of room at 61.5°/148° by removing the internatioals form these locations at a later date.

At 148 Dish now owns all 32 transponders.
1 Internationals (14) (all mirrored on 121°)
2 Additional locals for Salt Lake (1), Seattle (2), Tulsa (2). Two test channels
3 PI Channels and other stuff
4 Grand Junction (5) and additional Houston locals (5)
5 HDTV Test transponder 2 channels testing
6 Idaho Falls (5) Additional locals for Sacramento (1) Las Vegas (1)
7 Internationals (9) All mirrored at 121°
Additional locals for Santa Barbara (1), Dallas (2) and (2) testing grand rapids
9 International (9) All mirrored at 121°
10 Medford, OR (6) Amarillo, TX (7)
11 International (10)
12 additional locals for Sioux Falls (1), Little Rock (2)
13 HDTV Transponder (2--KCBS & HDPPV)
14 HDTV Test Transponder (2 testing--4 channels listed)
15 Stuff (7)
16 Empty
17 HDTV Transponder (2--HBO & Showtime)
19 International, PI & EPG (9)
20 Test Transponder (22 channels testing--some data some stills)
21 Cheyenne (5) additional Los Angeles locals (2) & demo channel? (1)
23 Open TV & Wink application Test channels (18)
24 EMPTY
25 Additional LA local (1) Additional Fresno locals (3)
26 EMPTY
27 Additional San Fran locals (9), and Spokanne (1)
28 EMPTY
29 Additional Denver locals (6) Additional Omaha & Sioux Falls local (1)
30 EMPTY
31 HDTV Test Transponder 3 testing
30 EMPTY

Dish owns 157° and is only using 3 transponders now with mirrors of channels available at 119°. So there's a TON of room there for something for the west coast, Alask and Hawaii.

61.5° can also make a lot of room by removing the mirrored international channels. But dish only owns 11 transponders and sub-leases 6 from Sky Angel.

2 Additional locals for Philly (6), Greenville, SC (2) Cleveland (2)
6 Internationals (13)
8 Stuff (8)
10 PI channels and other stuff (11)
12 Additional locals for Tampa (5) Louisville (2) Buffalo (2) and Roanoke (2)
14 International (8)
16 Test Channels most are FTA for MPEG 2 receivers right now (14)
18 International (10)
20 HDTV Transponder (2 -- WCBS & HDTV3)
22 Additional locals for Memphis (1), D.C. (6), Minneapolis (1) Boston (5)
25 (Belongs to Sky Angel)
26 International (12)
27 Additional locals for Chicago (6) Detroit (1) Nashville (2) and St. Louis (2)
29 International (9)
30 Additional locals for Pittsburgh (1), Orlando (6), Atlanta (3), Indianapolis (2)
31 Additional locals for NYC (8) Paducah (1) (two more in the wings)
32 (Belongs to Sky Angel)

Dish is also trying to acquire space on the following locations:
97° http://www.skyreport.com/viewskyreport.cfm?ReleaseID=1283#Story1
113° http://www.skyreport.com/viewskyreport.cfm?ReleaseID=1454#Story2
125° http://www.skyreport.com/viewskyreport.cfm?ReleaseID=1283#Story1

See ya
Tony

Thanks again for the good stuff, Tony!

So, they could probably put NBC & FOX E &W HD feeds on 61.5/148 (I don't see the meatheads at ABC doing anything for a long time).

Also remember that you need to convert some ConUS transponders to Spots as well
Not 100% sure about that - with many more available spot beams, maybe they can get more "reuse" out of the exsting dedicated ones.

But sticking with your assessment of 4 coming free, that leaves room to go back to 2 HD per tp, and still add more CONUS HD channels using a Dish 500. :)

It makes sense to me. So instead, E* will probably move all HD to a new satellite at 110 EAST :p :shocked:

SimpleSimon said:
Thanks again for the good stuff, Tony!

So, they could probably put NBC & FOX E &W HD feeds on 61.5/148 (I don't see the meatheads at ABC doing anything for a long time).

Not 100% sure about that - with many more available spot beams, maybe they can get more "reuse" out of the exsting dedicated ones.

But sticking with your assessment of 4 coming free, that leaves room to go back to 2 HD per tp, and still add more CONUS HD channels using a Dish 500. :)

It makes sense to me. So instead, E* will probably move all HD to a new satellite at 110 EAST :p :shocked:

But currently, all of this is just speculation from us isn't that right? Nothing official from dish yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)